[FIXED] Searching states or zipcodes for DJ's

To Report a Bug or Problem, start a New Topic.
We'll try and resolve the problem as quickly as possible.
(New feature suggestions should be posted in "Member Suggestions" above)

Moderator: Dave Miller

[FIXED] Searching states or zipcodes for DJ's

Postby OverWired Inc. » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:38 pm

I found a bug where if you go on the homepage and type an address or zip code, no matter what, it goes straight to the map of the United States. And than you have to press <i>go</i> again.

John Bryant
OverWired Professional DJ's
OverWired Inc.

Re: Searching states or zipcodes for DJ's

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:23 am

Hmmm... I can't seem to find the bug...
Can you describe it in more detail?

Where are you putting the address/zip? On the homepage in the center box? or on another page on the side search box?
What is an example of the “city, state” or “zip” that you’re entering?

Thanks.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby OverWired Inc. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:42 pm

Enter the City and State (or ZipCode) of the location where you're holding your event, and we'll search out the best Mobile Disc Jockeys in your area.

City, State (or ZipCode):
and than it has the text box

Than you enter for example Dallas, Texas and press "go"

Once you press go, than it doensnt look up the listing of dallas, it goes to the map of the united states, than you have to type it again and press go again.
OverWired Inc.

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:51 pm

When I went to:
http://www.djgold.com

and typed in
Dallas, Texas

... it took me straight to the results page.

I can't seem to duplicate the problem!

I'm going to invite a couple of other people to try it and see what results they get.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jwg » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:25 pm

I tried to duplicate your problem overwired in my region and it brought up nothing but search results listing various DJ choices.

I also typed in Dallas, Texas for a location of an event and you were the first on the list of choices!

Perhaps cleaning out your cache on ytour computer? Bad cookie stored?

***Added thought***

If you just type in the city and no state, it will take u back to the map. You must type in city & state.
Last edited by jwg on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Professor Jam » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:37 pm

Hi guys,

I went and did the same test and it worked perfect.... After all I came up first ;o)

Seriously it did work fine and you did come up as the first choice... Would this be an issue with cookies or cache?
Professor Jam

Postby JR » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:44 pm

I find that when I miss-spell (and I do that a lot) a location, I get the map. So I went back to check a couple other ways using my location of Surprize, AZ. When typed it in as I just did here, the search listings appeared. When I spell out the state I get the same results. But when I spell out the state and forget to install the comma after the city, then I get the map as if I have mispelled something. Also if I leave out the comma and put two spaces between the city and the abreviated state (i.e. Surprise AZ) I get the map as well. I'm not implying that anyone entered their information in error, just reporting what I found. Is there some way for this to accept variable entries for the same city/state similar to that of a web search?

Speaking of spell checks have we ever thought of supplying one for editing of the message body? :coolorange:
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby OverWired Inc. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:10 pm

Now its fixed, are you sure you didn't just fix it, because I have a lot of people who had the same problem as me untill now?
OverWired Inc.

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:14 pm

Hi JR, Jam, jwg, and everyone,

It sounds like everything is working exactly the way it was programmed... which is good.

JR -- you brought up a few good points. The code is not yet smart enough to deal with input that's way out of the parameters it's looking for.

Right now it will accept cities (spelled correctly!) then a comma then a state (abbreviated or full name).

if the state is abbreviated, it will recognize the 2-letter abbreviation and the search will still work without the comma. But it won't work without a comma if the state name is spelled out.

Part of the reason for this is that I couldn't assume that the last word of a search is the state name. For example: Sacramento California would allow me to assume the last word is a state. However, Raleigh North Carolina wouldn't allow me to assume the last word is the state... because in actuality, the last two words are the state name.

I'll be spending a little time working on the "intelligence" of the search engine over the next few days so that more searches that are improperly formatted will send the client directly to the results instead of first sending them to the "state search page" with the drop-down list.

-----------------
You noted that it didn't work without the comma and abbreviated state name if you put in multiple spaces.

I just fixed that.

(That was easy -- I was able to use a function that's already been written for another part of the code!)

Thanks.
-----------------

jr2423 wrote:Speaking of spell checks have we ever thought of supplying one for editing of the message body?

Are you talking about using one here on the discussion boards?

I am aware of spell checkers that have lots of pop-up ads in them, or ones that don't work very well that I've seen used on other boards.

The one I promote here in the link next to the Preview and Submit buttons when you post is called "ieSpell" and works great! It's an easy install and works very well. It's not perfect -- but much better than others I've used. Simply right-click on any form info you want to spell check, select "check spelling" and a window pops up to help you find errors and fix them. Very simple!

Here's that link:
Get a Free Spell Checker!
Last edited by CJ Greiner on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:21 pm

OverWired Inc. wrote:Now its fixed, are you sure you didn't just fix it, because I have a lot of people who had the same problem as me untill now?

I'm not sure what you mean. You're the first person to report a problem with it. All of the other BETA testers said it worked fine over the past few months, and it's always worked for me.

Hopefully whatever the problem was has been resolved... if you notice it again: Please do let me know because it's something I really need to fix. If I can determine what circumstances caused the problem, then I can change the website code so it doesn't happen any more.

Thanks for reporting it, and I'm glad that it's disappeared for the moment.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby audiopulse » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:34 am

CJ

Ok, I think I found whats going on with this....

go to the home page... and put in joplin missouri as spelled here "correct spelling" <LEAVE OUT THE COMMA> it will come up with the map.. Now, put in joplin, missouri with the comma and it works fine... it does the same with dallas texas (not work0 and dallas, texas will work...

BUT..

If you do the same with the state abrev. it will work with or without the comma...

both joplin, mo and joplin mo will work fine.... you just can't spell the state out without the comma... it wont work

Dave
audiopulse

Postby audiopulse » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:38 am

LOL... deerrr.. I should have read your post above.... you already said it... hehe.. :hahaha:

Dave
audiopulse

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:30 am

audiopulse wrote:LOL... deerrr.. I should have read your post above.... you already said it... hehe.. :hahaha:

Dave
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi AudioPulse,

Thanks for checking it!

-----------
I was thinking about what OverWired had said before about it not working... and now it is -- did I change anything?

Not with the page, but with the program: I helped the program deal with the confusion of extra spaces. If he was typing in an extra space on the front page -- it would have been confused and sent him to the state selection page like he described.

Anyway... that has been resolved--the program deals just fine with spaces now, thanks! :idea:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:27 am

==> Program Update <==

> I need you guys to test this for me! <

I looked at the code... added some extra routines... and it's even better! (I hope :? )

... remember when I said:
CJ Greiner wrote:if the state is abbreviated, it will recognize the 2-letter abbreviation and the search will still work without the comma. But it won't work without a comma if the state name is spelled out.

Well, I've made it so that you shouldn't need the comma in any case.
I also taught the code how to look for state names with one or two words in it.

==> the code still assumes that the city is listed first.
All of the following should work:
Sacramento CA
Sacramento, CA
Sacramento California
Sacramento, California
Raleigh NC
Raleigh, NC
Raleigh North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina

... and so on...

You guys try your own searches and let me know what you find!

Thanks
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby JR » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:03 am

Yup, All four ways work as advertised; abbreviated or spelled-out State with or without comma. I even through in up to four spaces in between, and it still worked fine.

And hey CJ, Thanks for the info on the spell checker. It works just great. :D
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Return to Bug Reports