[NEW] [FIXED] "Email us" form suggestions

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

[NEW] [FIXED] "Email us" form suggestions

Postby srothkin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 pm

Some people might not have a firm event date set when they come to the site, so requiring a specific event date is a dicey thing. People will put one in but the DJ won't know that it's not a definite date. Maybe add a checkbox for if the date is tentative.

Maybe put a drop list for event type -- put the most common types there, plus an "other -- see comments" choice.

Just to see what would happen, I didn't check either email or phone, it then listed both under the "we'll contact you by". Maybe you should add a "mail me some info" checkbox and require that the user check at least one of the three (email, phone, snail mail).

After I retried with checking off phone, I got the green arrow next to it. I think it would be less confusing to the user to simply list the checked off methods and not show the others.

I think you should also require something in the comments box.

Next to the phone number field maybe add a "best time to call me" text field.
User avatar
srothkin
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:05 pm
Location: Ossining, NY

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Steve - Those are some excellent suggestions! :ideias:

In fact, I think I'll incorporate most of them without any further thought. :!:

---------------

:thumbs_up: The "tentative date" idea is good -- and won't clutter up the form any more (I don't think). That will indicate to DJ's that already have that date booked to call the client anyway in case the client changes the date to one that the DJ is available for.

:?: The "Drop Down Event Type" idea... how will that help? Are you thinking that it will set up a "standard" format for type of event? Hmmm....
It wouldn't take me very long to make the change -- I just need convincing of why the change would be better than the current textbox.

:thumbs_up: The "Contact Method" idea is good... and also will fix a bug that you found. I'll work on changing that so at least one method is required, and put a box next to the phone method for "best time to call". I'll also add the new "by mail" checkbox... which will require a little extra programming because I'll have to make sure the mailing address form elements are adequately filled in.

:?: The "Require something in comments box" idea -- Well, I can see that if we decide to go with the "Drop Down Event Type" idea and the client selects "other -- see comments".
My question: is the rest of the information in the form enough for the client to fill in and receive a response from the DJ, or should they be required to fill in more info? And what further info are we looking for?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby srothkin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:12 pm

CJ Greiner wrote: :?: The "Drop Down Event Type" idea... how will that help?

I was thinking it would be less typing for the user. Though come to think of it, the field on my site's form is just text too.

CJ Greiner wrote:My question: is the rest of the information in the form enough for the client to fill in and receive a response from the DJ, or should they be required to fill in more info? And what further info are we looking for?


I think this is the bare minimum.

You could certainly add a lot more (see mine at http://www.dancemasters.net/public/quotform.htm) but I leave that to you. However, if you start adding more fields and ask 10 DJs for opinions on what has to be added, you'll probably get 15 different opinions. Given that, you might not want to go there ;)
User avatar
srothkin
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:05 pm
Location: Ossining, NY

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:33 pm

srothkin wrote:
CJ Greiner wrote: :?: The "Drop Down Event Type" idea... how will that help?

I was thinking it would be less typing for the user. Though come to think of it, the field on my site's form is just text too.


I've been thinking more about your suggestion.
One of my future goals is to be able to provide paid members with the option of submitting the form information directly to their DJIntelligence or Gigbuilder planners, instead of having to copy it by hand from an email.
That might take a little bit of planning, because both programs use an availability checker and would require extensive porting to first check availability of a date, then submit the form info in the required format for each planner.
==> However, if I go ahead an set up a Drop-Down list that contains events common to both planner programs, I think I'll be one step closer to that eventual integration. Hmmmmmm..... :idea:

srothkin wrote:
CJ Greiner wrote:My question: is the rest of the information in the form enough for the client to fill in and receive a response from the DJ, or should they be required to fill in more info? And what further info are we looking for?


I think this is the bare minimum.

You could certainly add a lot more (see mine at http://www.dancemasters.net/public/quotform.htm) but I leave that to you. However, if you start adding more fields and ask 10 DJs for opinions on what has to be added, you'll probably get 15 different opinions. Given that, you might not want to go there ;)


Holy Smokes! I looked at your quote form. WOW, that's a lot of information to request. :crazy:
I certainly see how that much info would help you provide a VERY accurate estimate, but you're right -- it's certainly not what we're looking for here.

The goal of DJGold is to "catch the eye" of clients using search engines and direct them to Quality Mobile Disc Jockeys that serve their immediate area. So you're right: the email form in its current state is probably the bare minimum... but enough to get the client in contact with local DJ's effectively.
Once they've been put in touch with a couple of DJ's they think they'll like, THEN they can fill out the more extensive quote forms on each DJ's website. 8)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby srothkin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:49 pm

CJ Greiner wrote:Holy Smokes! I looked at your quote form. WOW, that's a lot of information to request. I certainly see how that much info would help you provide a VERY accurate estimate


Yeah, I know its a lot, and yes it does help. If you look closely you'll notice that most of the fields are optional (trying to increase the chance of people actually completing it). I don't get a lot of people filling it out but I usually get at least a few each month (and most of them do pretty much fill in most of the fields).
User avatar
srothkin
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:05 pm
Location: Ossining, NY

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:02 pm

srothkin wrote:
CJ Greiner wrote:Holy Smokes! I looked at your quote form. WOW, that's a lot of information to request. I certainly see how that much info would help you provide a VERY accurate estimate


Yeah, I know its a lot, and yes it does help. If you look closely you'll notice that most of the fields are optional (trying to increase the chance of people actually completing it). I don't get a lot of people filling it out but I usually get at least a few each month (and most of them do pretty much fill in most of the fields).


And I imagine that someone that does take the time to fill out the whole thing has already been pre-sold on your service by your website or other marketing materials (DJGold?! :lol: ) and will most likely end up using you as their DJ!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:56 pm

Okay: Added checkbox for "This date is tentative".
I think it's useful info and was worth the effort.

(See other website development progress here:
http://www.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=36 )
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA

Re: Email us form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:49 pm

And I also added the "Best Time to Call" feature,
corrected the way the chosen methods were displayed,
and made the "Event Details" mandatory.

:idea: :!:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA

Re: [NEW] [FIXED] "Email us" form suggestions

Postby OverWired Inc. » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:17 pm

I think you should take away the adress part, thatl looks a little straight forward and can lose some customres.
Hey talking about all of this email stuff, anyone here want a gmail account with 1000 MB?

John Bryant
OverWired Professional DJ's
JHB98998@gmail.com
OverWired Inc.
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: [NEW] [FIXED] "Email us" form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:20 pm

OverWired Inc. wrote:I think you should take away the adress part, thatl looks a little straight forward and can lose some customres.
Hey talking about all of this email stuff, anyone here want a gmail account with 1000 MB?

John Bryant
OverWired Professional DJ's
JHB98998@gmail.com


Could you describe in more detail what you think the problem is with the Address portion of the Contact Form is?

--------
As a side note: I've sent emails out to several thousand people... and gmail seems to be a "generic" email account like AOL, MSN Hotmail, or the others.
These "free" or "cheap" addresses seem unreliable and people tend to drop them too quickly. They also don't generally give a good professional image when trying to promote your DJ Business as a professional organization on the internet.

I'm hoping to see more people purchase their own domain name (only ~$8.95/year) and get a email account associated with it (only ~$9.95/year.)
You could get something like info@OverWiredMusic.com :idea:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA

Re: [NEW] [FIXED] "Email us" form suggestions

Postby OverWired Inc. » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:45 pm

Ok well, say some person is looking for a DJ, and they search on the web and find this website. If the site is asking for the adress, that seems a little to personal, and people might not want to share their address on the internet. So I think we should get rid of the Adress Part.

Also, I am using a gmail account right now because my site isn't up yet and my email will be John@GoOverWired.com or Admin@GoOverWired.com. Also ive used many diffrent email's and gmail is actually very reliable.
John Bryant
OverWired Professional DJ's
JHB98998@gmail.com
OverWired Inc.
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: [NEW] [FIXED] "Email us" form suggestions

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:10 pm

Well, getting rid of it seems a little extreme -- especially since we've already had clients use the address feature to contact some of our members.

However -- I do see your point.

I've changed the title of that section to look like this:
Mailing Address:
For promotional materials (optional)


Hopefully that will seem less intrusive for those clients that don't want to provide their address.

Thanks!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

Image
www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
User avatar
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am
Location: Smithfield, VA


Return to Member Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron