[NEW] [FIXED] Member site page -- Links to Website

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

[NEW] [FIXED] Member site page -- Links to Website

Postby srothkin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:15 am

Member page (name.djgold.com)

I think this page should have a direct link to the DJ's site in addition to the email and contact form links.
srothkin

Re: Member page (name.djgold.com)

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:52 pm

I think that's a great idea.

There's a little programming I have to do to get it to work... I'll have you test it when I've completed the changes.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Member site page -- should have a Link to Website

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:40 pm

Okay... it's done!

I've placed a link at the bottom right of the page that points directly to your personal website.

Now clients can click to your website from the Main Information Page, or the Contact Us Page.

------------------
Let me know what you think!

Thanks.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: [NEW] Member site page -- should have a Link to Website

Postby srothkin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:36 pm

Seems to be broken -- all of the "visit web site" links/buttons open a new window with my DJGold profile.
srothkin

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:47 pm

Hmmm... that's weird.

When I search for Ossining, NY (or any city in that area) -- your listing comes up... then I click on "Visit our Website" and your website ( http://www.dancemasters.net/public/index.htm ) pops up.
When I try from the main page and from the contact page... it seems to work there too.

-----------
I'm going to log out, clear my cookies and explorer cache and see if it still works or not.

In the meantime: could you please "refresh" the page when you click on it and see what happens? Also: What kind of browser are you using?

Thanks Steve.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby srothkin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:03 pm

The links all say (when hovering over them) http://dancemasters.djgold.com/go/

When I click on them, they all bring me to http://dancemasters.djgold.com/. Refreshing the page doesn't change that.

I'm using IE6 patched up to date on Windows 2000.

I do have high security settings as recommended by Microsoft -- don't know if that has anything to do with it.
srothkin

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:46 pm

Hi Steve,

I've programmed a special piece of code so that I can see what headers your browser is providing to my script.

If you don't mind: go to your site and click on the "Go to Website" link on either page (you only need to do it once), then let me know that you've done it.

http://dancemasters.djgold.com/

I'll take a look at what info is being provided to the program... and see if I can't figure out what's different between your browser's page requests and my own.

I think this is quite important: If your browser doesn't use the /go links correctly... others might not either. I'll get it fixed ASAP once I have your info.

Thanks.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby srothkin » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:27 pm

The go button and links at http://dancemasters.djgold.com/contact/ are and the visit our web site link on the search results page are working fine now.

The contact us link goes to http://dancemasters.djgold.com/contact/ which has the following at the top above the DJGold banner.

Array ( [email_first_name] => [email_last_name] => [email_email_address] => [email_phone_number] => [email_contactby_email] => [email_contactby_phone] => [email_address1] => [email_address2] => [email_address_city] => [email_address_state] => [email_address_zip] => [email_event_type] => [email_event_month] => [email_event_day] => [email_event_year] => [email_event_details] => [email_confirm] => [email_send] => [email_edit] => [email_member_template] => )
srothkin

Postby CJ Greiner » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:56 pm

Steve -- thanks for continuing to help with the BETA testing.

On the "Link to Website" issue:

Here's what some of the "normal" headers produced by Internet Explorer look like:
HTTP_HOST=>dancemasters.djgold.com.
HTTP_REFERER=>http://www.djgold.com/search/.
HTTP_USER_AGENT=>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322).

... and here's yours:
HTTP________=>----:----------------------------------.
HTTP___________=>----------.
HTTP_HOST=>dancemasters.djgold.com.
HTTP_USER_AGENT=>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Q312461; .NET CLR 1.1.4322).

------------
I can't figure out what all the "----:----------------------------------" stuff is... do you have some sort of firewall running?

My original coding relied heavily on the HTTP_REFERER header info. I guess I can't rely on that anymore. :cry:

It doesn't really matter... I reprogrammed the site to accept input from any header requests, and properly redirect guests to the correct website (for those members that have websites.) For members that don't have websites, the "Visit our website" link will take guests to the Member's DJGold site.

Ta Daaaaaa ==> all fixed!

---------------
On the unusual stuff at the top of the contact pages: I'm currently working on the email program. I'm hoping to have it done over the next couple of days. Once it is, I'll be sending out an email to all of our BETA testers to try it and see if it works correctly.

I use the code at the top of the pages to show how variables are being handled by the program and HTML, and to make sure everything is being passed from page to page the way it should. Once I've checked it out and made some changes... it'll disappear.

The email program is the last thing I was waiting on before we get into BETA Phase II: Larger release.

What do you think... how many DJ's should I invite to participate in the next phase? 200? 500? 1500? 5000?... :?:

-------------
P.S. Here's a post where I update the current status of development:
http://www.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=146#146
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby srothkin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:36 pm

CJ Greiner wrote:do you have some sort of firewall running?

Yes -- I'm running Norton Personal Firewall 2004 (on top of my hardware firewall/router). And I think blanking out the referrer stuff is one of the things it does by default (maybe only when going to a different site, though not totally sure).

CJ Greiner wrote:before we get into BETA Phase II: Larger release.
What do you think... how many DJ's should I invite to participate in the next phase? 200? 500? 1500? 5000?... :?:

It's kind of a tradeoff -- the more heads you get looking at the stuff, the more likely you are to quickly uncover issues (if the testers are serious). On the other hand, it means you potentially have to deal with more issue submissions and some of them might not be quite what you're looking for ;)
srothkin

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:52 pm

srothkin wrote:
It's kind of a tradeoff -- the more heads you get looking at the stuff, the more likely you are to quickly uncover issues (if the testers are serious). On the other hand, it means you potentially have to deal with more issue submissions and some of them might not be quite what you're looking for ;)

Quite true!

I currently have an email list of 8,000+ DJ's in the USA. I think maybe I'll send out invitations in groups of 100 to start off with... just to see how things go.
Once more of the bugs are worked out, I'll step it up a little bit. I won't start paid advertising on other sites until the major components of the search engine are truly tested by the BETA testing team.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Member Suggestions