Service Areas -- How Big should they be?

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

Service Areas -- How Big should they be?

Postby jeaniec » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:27 pm

The only problem that affects me is I also DJ in Phoenix. And the Phoenix area includes about 20 cities on your list, that I am excluded from since I live in a certain zip code. So, on your site, it looks like I do not service those areas which I definitely do. Phoenix is like Los Angeles where one city melts into the next. When people say Avondale, for example, people think Phoenix for its location--same with Mesa, Tempe, Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, and MANY other cities. They're all served by the same airport.
After I sent you this email, I came here and read your philosophy in another topic. I agree with you about being first in your local area. I guess I just want to at least be on the list in the other areas I service, even if it is below the others in closer proximity.
Jeanie
:)
jeaniec

Re: Service Areas

Postby JR » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:36 pm

Hi Jeanie,

I am in Surprise, and had the same concern. So just for curiosity sake, after registering, I searched the adjacent cities and found that I did in fact show in all the other areas. So it seems that the program recognizes that. Try searching the other city areas, and see what you get for results.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:33 pm

Hi Jeanie & JR,

GREAT input.

---------
My philosophy on Local vs. National listings:
http://www.DJGold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=126#126

My philosophy on Free vs. Paid listings:
http://www.DJGold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=67#67
---------

How it works for now:
There is a set mileage from your city where your listing will show up. This mileage isn't perfect. It's too much for some people and not enough for others (you). I do plan on making this "adjustable" in the Member Control Panel at some point in the near future... Hopefully you'll help us test that feature as well.

For DJ's that want an unusually large area of coverage.... They may have to wait until we have paid listings. But for those who just want a reasonable distance, they should be listed in the Search Engine for free.
Last edited by CJ Greiner on Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby DJTim » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:06 am

I do understand your philosophy CJ and I agree with it for the most part, my biggest problem is I am in a very small town 70-80 miles from Houston which is where I do most of my bigger gigs.

I don't show up when you search Houston, yet the company that shows up in Houston also shows in my town, so he gets the benefit of both areas(although I do show on top locally).

I know you are in beta stage and that all things are being worked on...maybe it's possible for the programming to pick up the closest metro area to your zipcode and list you there as well.

Just a thought.

Tim Michaels
Music In Motion Productions
Bay City, Texas
DJTim

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:49 pm

DJTim

I certainly understand where you're coming from -- I deal with a couple of metro areas from my location here.

As I mentioned above--right now it's a fixed distance. (60 miles max on 9-3-04)

I'll soon be working on a way that DJ's can adjust this number in their Member Control Panel. Some DJ's will want more mileage (most DJ's?) and some will want less...

The reason your competitor shows up in both locations is because he's in Sugar Land, TX which is less than 60 miles from your city, and also Houston.

Once I've integrated the "Mileage Adjustment" feature -- you should be able to be listed in both places.

-----------
Note: you won't be able to adjust it out to infinity! :lol:

Free listings will be limited to some reasonable number, and paid listings will be able to go a little further.

Here's the key: You will still be listed in the top group for your local area.
DJTim -- in your case, you'll always be listed above DJ's from Houston. (Unless they have paid listings and you don't... and even then you might still be listed above them!) :!: :idea:

---
Let me know what you think about this plan. -- Thanks
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Service Areas -- How Big should they be?

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:41 am

I just bumped the search distance up to 75 miles max. I'll probably leave it there until I've written the code that'll allow you to select it from the Member Control Panel.

:nod:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby DJTim » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:09 am

Thanks CJ, that should put me in the window I would think.
DJTim

Postby jeaniec » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:13 pm

75 miles won't do it for me since Phoenix is 100 miles away from my town which only has 14,000 inhabitants which is why I sometimes have to expand to Phoenix. I've even gone to Laughlin. Tucson is too far. Don't know how many miles, but it takes 4 hours to get there. My mini-philosophy is the gig has to last at least as long as it takes to get there and back, and I mostly stick to that.
Jeanie
jeaniec

Postby DJTim » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:32 am

Well, I was right.....75 miles and I now show up in Houston....Thanks CJ!

Jeanne, I understand....I am in a town of 18,000 in the county with the highest unemployment in the state of Texas, so I have to travel to other areas alot.
DJTim

Postby djmc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:47 pm

75 miles doesn't cut it for me!

I'm only 85 minutes from Reno Nevada, and I'd like to be able to pay for my listing and extend to 150 mile radius!
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:16 pm

How big the radius is is only part of the equation. I'd also like to select, or rather un-select counties within that radius.

I'm in Northern NJ, about 20 miles from New York City. I'd be happy going up to about 75 miles in any direction, except East into NYC.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Return to Member Suggestions