[NEW] Member List

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

[NEW] Member List

Postby JR » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:37 pm

Just curious. Is there a way now, or is it possible in the future, to have a member listing? I'd like to be able to search members by location and possibly company name. I know this can be done by the normal serch method, but an overall index would would take less effort. This would give an individual insight into the demographics of the board, and monitor its growth. I find it exciting to be in on the ground floor of a new enterprise, and equally so to watch it develop.

Just a thought
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Re: Member List

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:56 pm

Actually, there is a memberlist available... but it has been deliberately hidden from all users... I'll see if I can't chage that so DJMembers can see it as well.T

he original concern was the ability to use the list to spam members with excessive emails. I'll have to see if there isn't a way to modify the list so this won't happen as easily.

-----
Are you just looking for a list of cities/states represented?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby JR » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:28 pm

CJ Greiner wrote:Are you just looking for a list of cities/states represented?

Well, usually I search the area close to home, and then surrounding surrounding states. And then expand from there. I spend a bit of time (when I have it to spend) researching brother/sister DJ sites. I've learned quite a bit form others' sites, as well as through their links. With the rather small current membership I thought maybe this would be yet another avenue to gain more knowldge. However, I didn't give a thought to the pitfalls of Spamming. So if you do find a way to allow access to a member index without comprimisng security, that would be helpful. If not, then I do understand.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:50 pm

Ahhhh, I see what you mean. Maybe next week I'll take a look at what I can do to make a list available that provides what you're looking for!

Thanks for the idea.

* Feel free to add to this thread if you have more ideas about what you'd like available in this member search.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:23 am

Okay... we have a member listing!

I'm not sure it's everything you were asking for... but it's a start.

-----------
When you're logged in: You'll see "Memberlist" at the top of any one of these forum pages. You can click on that and see a listing of current members, their PM, Email, WebPage and Location (if filled in) as well as a link to their forum profile.

While it does allow you to sort the list by different criteria, it doesn't accurately show location because locations are usually listed by city then state so alphabetically you won't find cities near each other.
-----------

To find other DJ's in your local area... probably the best way will be to use the DJSearch engine to search your own area and click on everyone's listings (which include links to their websites if they have them.)

Once we're out of BETA phase I, we'll be inviting several thousand DJ's to join the site and add their listings. At that point you should then have a pretty decent listing of other DJ's in your area.

:arrow: Please let me know what you think, and what other features you'd like added, if any.

Thanks!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby JR » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:17 pm

I see the Memberlist Icon. But when I press it, I'm taken to the beginning of the Forum Index. No list :nosmile:
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:30 pm

:( :( :( :( :(

Hmmmmm.... let me see what's up.....
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:56 pm

Well, it seems I had built in a little extra security a while ago... :dizzy:

It's now set up so that if you're logged in as a DJ, then you should be able to click on it.

Care to check it for me?

Thanks.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby JR » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:16 pm

OKAAAY!!! I see the List :D That's great. Now, Next question. Are all web-sites supposed to be shown there in the far right column (for those who have a site)? If so, mine doesn't show.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:35 pm

Good point:

I made some mods recently to the registration process that didn't affect you, or other DJ's that registered before the mods were complete:

Whenever a DJ registers, the "Location" and "Website" information is automatically placed in his Forum Profile (if there's nothing there already.)

------------
I haven't had a chance to go back and manually fill in the data for DJ's who have registered already... maybe tonight?
------------

You can do it yourself for your profile by clicking on "Edit Profile" on the top right.

Note: For people who have signed up for the discussion forum but haven't signed up as DJ's (they're allowed in the public forum area), they'll have to voluntarily enter their location and website.
Also: Once the info is auto-entered, a DJ could go back and manually change it or erase it... and it would stay like that.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:47 pm

Also... here's another suggestion that relates to yours:
http://www.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=33

-- and here's a list showing current BETA progress:
http://www.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=36
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby JR » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:17 am

I thought I had entered my web site; Aparantly not. But It's there now. Thanks again.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Re: [NEW] Member List

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:31 pm

All right... everyone that is signed up as a DJ has a location (and website if applicable) in the "Memberlist".

There are also people in the list that do not have a website or location… but they’re simply people that have signed up for the “Public” forum… not the DJ forums.

-------------------
Let me know if that interface provides what you’re looking for… or if you’d like more info (and why… and how it would be useful… )

Thanks!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Member Suggestions