Motivating members to be more active

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Motivating members to be more active

Postby jwg » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 am

As I lay my head down to sleep, this thread came to mind as I saw this...

769 registered users I am guessing 10 of those 769 post on a regular basis? C'mon people lets motivate and post, post, post, post!
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Michigan DJ » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:47 am

People like free stuff!
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:31 am

A couple years ago, PromoOnly did a contest on their BB. The rules were, you needed to be a member before the end of the contest. That's it. Sign up and you were in. It caused a ruckus from the few members that post all the time. In the end, of the 5 top prizes, only 4th place was won by an active member. A newbie who was never heard from again won first prize.

One alternative would have been to create a rule such as, you gotta post. If such a rule were in place, all those newbies would be posting "Hi, enter me!" type posts. And because that would trigger the 'new post' indicator, every member would be forced to waste time reading thru the crap.

A different alternative would be that people have to already be active members prior to the contest announcement. But, other than giving free stuff to those of us who are already active, that doesn't do you any good.

So, before you create any type of incentive for getting people involved, be sure it has the desired effect and doesn't alienate those members that are already involved.

---

An alternative is to do something like what somebody else (I think USODJA) does. Every couple months, I get an email describing a couple interesting threads, with links. I sometimes read thru some of the linked threads. Sometimes I post. But that's it. I'm not active. Don't know why not. Maybe there's too much junk to sift thru. Maybe, because there's not much junk here, it would work better here.

On the other hand, I wonder how I found out about this board in the first place. I've only been here a few months, but this board very quickly became my favorite DJ board. Again, it's because of the quality of posts, and relative lack of crap.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby JR » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:36 am

jwg wrote:769 registered users I am guessing 10 of those 769 post on a regular basis? C'mon people lets motivate and post, post, post, post!

I checked out the stats and posted them to this thread. As of mid November 04 this is how the contributions fared.

jr2423 wrote: Out of 757 members, fewer than 15% have posted at least once; and I would assume that many of those single posts we’re merely introductions. This also means that 85% have not even acknowledged their own existence on this board. If we were to carry on we’d note that only 11% have posted at least twice, 8% a minimum of three times, and so decreases the percentage as the number of individual posts increase. It is indeed poor when only 113 of the total members have contributed; if only to say hello.

I just looked at the stats again and it doesn't seem to have changed much.

Of the 769,
42 are active with 10 posts or more. That includes our two hyperactive celebrities :P :lol: and our five-star general :wink: (5.46%)
73 are members with between 2 & 10 posts (9.49%)
34 are members with only 1 post (4.42%)
620 remaining members have zero posts (80.62%)

That's 149 of the 769 who have submitted at least one post. (18.20%)

It also should be noted that CJ did a purge here a couple months back which eliminated some chaff in the form of those who had joined only to give their non-applicable web site exposure.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jwg » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:30 pm

Although, keeping in mind the fact that DJ Gold is still in beta testing. I think once the word gets out some more, you'll see some of the people that post alot at the other sites.

Personally, I post here, ProDJ.com and DJ America. The nice thing about being at a variety of sites is that you see different threads.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby djdonny » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:05 am

Do the number of stars have any effect on how high our listings are on the DJ Search?

In Staten Island, NY (my home town), I'm listed below someone I've never seen post here.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:17 am

No they don't ... at least not yet!

Actually, I've never really thought about doing anything like that...

BUT: here's info on what we're working on now for the search engine, which includes "search engine rotation":
http://start.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=4970#4970

:idea:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:22 pm

jr2423 wrote:
jwg wrote:769 registered users I am guessing 10 of those 769 post on a regular basis? C'mon people lets motivate and post, post, post, post!

I checked out the stats and posted them to this thread. As of mid November 04 this is how the contributions fared.

jr2423 wrote: Out of 757 members, fewer than 15% have posted at least once; and I would assume that many of those single posts we’re merely introductions. This also means that 85% have not even acknowledged their own existence on this board. If we were to carry on we’d note that only 11% have posted at least twice, 8% a minimum of three times, and so decreases the percentage as the number of individual posts increase. It is indeed poor when only 113 of the total members have contributed; if only to say hello.

I just looked at the stats again and it doesn't seem to have changed much.

Of the 769,
42 are active with 10 posts or more. That includes our two hyperactive celebrities :P :lol: and our five-star general :wink: (5.46%)
73 are members with between 2 & 10 posts (9.49%)
34 are members with only 1 post (4.42%)
620 remaining members have zero posts (80.62%)

That's 149 of the 769 who have submitted at least one post. (18.20%)

It also should be noted that CJ did a purge here a couple months back which eliminated some chaff in the form of those who had joined only to give their non-applicable web site exposure.

I remembered this post from a little while back, and I thought I'd check a few things out myself.

I don't know if this is a fair comparison because DJGold has members that do not participate in the discussion forum, but are shown in the member list because they have their business listed in the search engine.

How about a comparison to a well-known discussion forum that does not have members signing up for any other reason than to chat...

Many of us know of ProDJ, and have participated in their discussions at one point or another, so that seems to be the closest comparison.

ProDJ has been in business for quite a few years now, and has over 4757 different members signed up. But... there's a problem with that number.
They're not signing up to participate in a search engine, and the administrators have also not taken the time to remove old, duplicate or spam-type memberships.

As of 3/15/2005:
Of those 4757 members listed,

990 are "active" with 10 posts or more (20.8%) (4757-3767=990)
http://start.prodj.com/memberlist.php?m ... start=4750

691 are have anywhere from 2 to 9 posts (14.5%) (3767-3076=691)
http://start.prodj.com/memberlist.php?m ... start=3750

363 only have 1 post (7.6%) (3076-2713=363)
http://start.prodj.com/memberlist.php?m ... start=3050

2713 have 0 posts (57%)
http://start.prodj.com/memberlist.php?m ... start=2700

That's 2044 of the 4757 who have submitted at least one post. (43%)

... just thought I'd share the stats for whatever comparison CAN be made! 8)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:28 am

So what does that really mean? I'm not really sure....

Gotta love the results of your statistical analysis there, CJ. :wink:
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby JR » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:18 am

CJ Greiner wrote:...I don't know if this is a fair comparison...

It was an observation of how the numbers reflect those who are active vs. those who are (in varying degrees) less active. I don't see how the comparison is either fair or unfair. It was just a statement of facts in response to another member's post.

Although, personally I do find it ill mannered to not even acknowledge the membership with an introduction saying "hello", and a "thanks for the invite" to the host.

Never-the-less, they're only numbers; and you can read from them whatever you care to.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:03 pm

jr2423 wrote:Although, personally I do find it ill mannered to not even acknowledge the membership with an introduction saying "hello", and a "thanks for the invite" to the host.

Hmmmm.... time to teach them thar folks some manners! :lol:
Last edited by CJ Greiner on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Michigan DJ » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:35 am

What, CJ, is the breakdown of registered users on DJ Gold that are active (ie have at least posted once) and so on?
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby JR » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:39 pm

Michigan DJ wrote:What, CJ, is the breakdown of registered users on DJ Gold that are active (ie have at least posted once) and so on?

Hey Tommy, check out the 9th post on the second page of this thread. The stats are there as of 1-Feb-05.

Currently it stands at 171 out of 808 with at least one post (21.16%)

You can find this anytime by going to the "Member List" (above) and sorting by "Number of Posts" "Descending".

Again, it's only numbers, from which we can derive most anything.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Previous

Return to Member Suggestions