Motivating members to be more active

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

Motivating members to be more active

Postby djmc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:22 pm

I suggest you adopt a criteria for attaining 3rd star, because these little devices really do motivate people to get to the higher level.

(I posted my azz off at another board so I wouldn't have to be a "Party Animal" anymore, because I wanted to be "Senior Member". Then I wanted to be past 3000 because you can make up your own name)

Here are some possible alternatives:

1) adopt a Point System (like WeDJ board). Points can be used to buy additional mileage. Then, you set the mileage for free members down to a single zipcode (theirs). Posting at the boards would give them points, and every 500 points gives you 5 additional miles, up to the maximum for free members of 25 miles. Paid members would get the same perks, with perhaps a 10 mile extension for every 1000 points.

2) keep the star system, and award Stars for a certain number of points.
Points could be based on Thread Started (10 points), Thread Replied (2 points).

I guarantee if you implement some form of "motivational device" the participation at DJ Gold will skyrocket!!!
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Motivating members to be more active

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:10 pm

3000 posts just so you can give yourself a new title? Dude, no offense but get a life!

Have you seen the "Knock Knock" thread? That's a clear example of posting just for the sake of posting - a practice that should be discouraged as much as possible.

Here's the problem. There are plenty of other DJ boards out there. If you want members to be involved over here, and attract new members, you have to have try to make all the posts and threads informative and important.

Right now, the BS posts and threads here can be tollerated under the umbrella that "it's still in BETA". But that can't go on forever or this board will become "just another DJ chat room," or worse, a waste of time to visit.

Clearly CJ is working on keeping things relevant. I've noticed several times when a thread goes off topic (oops. I'm guilty), the next day I see the thread has been broken into two threads. I assume only CJ has the capability to do that.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet, so I'll say it. Nicely done. Keep up the good work CJ.

---

Your idea of converting posts/points to mileage on the DJ search is intriguing, but would encourage BS posts for the sake of points/mileage.

For the record, in my 22 years as a DJ, I have lived in 6 different zip codes. I have never worked in a zip code while living there. And I rarely work in a neighboring zip code. In your scenario, I'd be the first to post just to post.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djmc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm just throwing out some ideas!

Of course these are just suggestions, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.....because these systems work to encourage participation at other boards and they've got lots of participation from the members.
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:58 pm

Understood. That makes more sense.

And as soon as I posted my reply, I envisioned CJ taking this quote:
DJ Teddy Bear wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet, so I'll say it. Nicely done. Keep up the good work CJ.
and saying something like: "Thanks TB. Glad someone noticed. Here's another star."

Of course, in my warped little mind, my reply would have been: "Cool. What do I gotta do to get the next star?....um...don't answer that." :hahaha: :lol:
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby JR » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:19 pm

djmc wrote:I suggest you adopt a criteria for attaining 3rd star, because these little devices really do motivate people to get to the higher level.

(I guarantee if you implement some form of "motivational device" the participation at DJ Gold will skyrocket!!!

Personally, the last time a star inspired me to contribute was when I received them on my grammar school assignments. :shock: Seriously, I know we're just brainstorming here, so any suggestion is better than no suggestion at all. And as the ideas flow, they tend to metamorphisize (if that’s a word?) into a collaboration from which all have contributed and will benefit. So keep talking.

I’m Curious? Does any one know the extent of non-participation? Has anyone other than CJ Looked at the stats for the current membership with regard to posting? (or the top 10 posters for that matter?) Out of 757 members, fewer than 15% have posted at least once; and I would assume that many of those single posts we’re merely introductions. This also means that 85% have not even acknowledged their own existence on this board. If we were to carry on we’d note that only 11% have posted at least twice, 8% a minimum of three times, and so decreases the percentage as the number of individual posts increase. It is indeed poor when only 113 of the total members have contributed; if only to say hello.

And although I have no relevant input with regard to offering ideas to increase participation, I am learning that the development of this mutual admiration society of ours is a slow progression. And as such, it is a maturing process for which I am willing to wait; provided the wait results in the exchange of knowledge and ideas which are beneficial to group as well as the individual.

I guess what I’m saying, with all this rambling, (as I tend to do) is let’s not be too anxious to control a galaxy, when only one or two stars may shine just as bright. In my opinion the quality and relevance of the posts to-date has been excellent (Uh, except for that “Knock-Knock” thing and maybe a couple others to a lesser degree). I’d rather have a handful of exchanges of valuable information, than be bombarded by meaningless fluff.

The most recent example of a quality input was DJMC’s dialog with the bride who didn’t know what she didn’t know. At least not until MC so eloquently educated her. Now for me, that was Pure Gold. http://www.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=161

If we maintain this level of service to each other, we can’t help but to attract other quality participants in time.

OK I’m off my soap box now.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:48 pm

Thanks JR!!!
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:13 pm

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:...And as soon as I posted my reply, I envisioned CJ taking this quote:
DJ Teddy Bear wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet, so I'll say it. Nicely done. Keep up the good work CJ.
and saying something like: "Thanks TB. Glad someone noticed. Here's another star."

Thanks TB. Glad someone noticed... but sorry, no new star!

-----------
As I've mentioned before, I'm not so sure about the star thing for exactly the reason that has been mentioned:
It promotes one-line junk posts.

There are other discussion forums that are full of garbage -- I don't think any of the active members here want that.

In fact, I've received many positive comments about DJGold -- all referring to the high-quality content, especially when compared to the other websites.

Of course, it's impossible to keep all of the junk and garbage out: We all need to de-stress and let-loose every once in a while! That's fine with me, as long as we also continue to build a site that's worthy of its name -- and worthy of its members!

-----------
P.S. Don't worry -- the third star is coming! As soon as the site grows a little more, and we have some more quality content and participation, the "senior" members will be moved up. Right now, if you have 2 stars you're at the top!

8)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby djmc » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:26 pm

OK, nuff said.... ;)
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djmaine » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:40 pm

Ok...my first post here and yes I own one of the smaller Community Forums so I can offer my thoughts on post numbers...

On our Forum we always strive for quality rather than quantity. I would much rather learn something from only 1-4 great posts rather than weed through 90 waste of my time posts.

Quality will always be DJ Golds and DJ Source Online's best kept secret.

BTW...DJMC happens to be the #2 poster all time at my Forum
djmaine

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:29 pm

djmaine wrote:BTW...DJMC happens to be the #2 poster all time at my Forum

Hi Jim, and welcome to DJGold!

Yeah -- that djmc guy -- I bet he was thrilled when he got 5 bars on your website!!!
:arrow: ImageImageImageImageImage :)

(And you have twice as many posts as he does!)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:49 am

Hey djmc...

I just noticed your new star... congratulations! :lol:

:yeah:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby djmc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:48 am

thanks CJ!

Now what do I have to do to get that name changed from "Advanced Member" (sounds weird to me)???
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:52 am

You're right... "Advanced" might be a little much for you! :lol: :hahaha: :lol:

How about "Talkative Member", or "Mega-Poster", or "Mighty Member"?

:yeah:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:58 am

CJ -
You just noticed it? I thought you were responsible for handing them out! Hmmmm.... What's going on here?
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:02 pm

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:CJ -
You just noticed it? I thought you were responsible for handing them out! Hmmmm.... What's going on here?

I have a sarcastic sense of humor sometimes!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:01 pm

CJ Greiner wrote:
DJ Teddy Bear wrote:CJ -

I have a sarcastic sense of humor sometimes!
I thought my "Hmmmm.... What's going on here?" would indicate my sarcasm as well.
I gotta remember to use more emoticons. :sulkoff:

I didn't want to come out and say "I know what's going on here! How about a star for me damnit!" But I wouldn't do that. I know full well the can of worms that kind of statement would open.

Tell you what... just gimme a star and I'll forgive and forget the whole thing. :lol:
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby audiopulse » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:55 pm

Congrats on the third star DJMC... NOW maybe you will quit complaining :hahaha:

J/K bro... we now know who has all the HOT AIR!!! :yelling:

Dave
audiopulse

Postby Michigan DJ » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:54 am

One of the reasons I like this board so much is the fact that there aren't 100 posts a day on here for me to keep track of.

wedj is getting that way, but prodj.com and djchat.com ARE that way already. Yes both have great posters and a lot of useful info...but the hashing and rehashing of topics (Cheap DJs is the one I hate the most btw) is out of hand.

I am of the opinion that the moderators should point new members to the old posts.
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:04 pm

Here's new stuff coming up:
Upcoming DJGold Programming & Tools

... sorry -- nothing in the list about earning more stars!

:lol:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby djmc » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Is there a live date yet?
djmc