Some random BB suggestions

What would you like to see on this website? How can we provide better service for you? Tell us here!

Moderator: Dave Miller

Some random BB suggestions

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:48 am

I hope this is the place to make suggestions about the DJGold forum.

1 -

This morning I got an email regarding the activity on the board since my last visit. OK. There was a bunch of posts since my last visit, but my prior visit was at around 6:00pm. The email was sent at 11:03pm. Sorry if I have a real life and couldn't be online last night.

Also, one of the threads mentioned as having activity was the Business Card Thread which hasn't seen a new post since September!

2 -

I'm not thrilled with the color scheme. Because of the nature of video, dark colored pixels appear larger than light colors. This makes white text on a dark background harder to read than dark text on a light background.

3 -

In the edit profile, the colors of the radio buttons make it hard to see which button is depressed. Check boxes don't appear to have any indication that the box is checked. I realize that these problems may be platform or browser specific. But that is no excuse. (FYI: I use a legacy Mac with OS 9.2 and IE 5.1.7.)

4 -

Does phpBB have options for the number of posts per page? Is it variable? If so, I'd prefer it be set so the highest number page have 20 posts, while all other pages have 15 posts.

Doing this would cause a thread with 20 posts to be one page, but a thread with 21 posts to have a page of 15 posts, and a page of 6 posts. Then, if you keep current on checking the board, you know you always can go directly to the last page, and have available a couple posts you already saw to remind you of where the thread was going.

---

Even if you can't implement any of these suggestions, the content on the board is so great that I'll be sticking around for quite a while!

Thanks.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Some random BB suggestions

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:12 am

P.S. I now see that in another forum you already responded to someone else's comment about last night's email. Disregard #1 above.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:19 am

Hi DJ Teddy Bear,

Thanks for taking the time to put in all of your suggestions!

But... you're right: I can't implement all of your suggestions, at least not right away.

-------------
This template was originally chosen for its color scheme and has been highly customized since that time.

It's nearly impossible to provide another template with different color scheme without spending a similar amount of time customizing that too. If I find some time in the near future, I'll certainly look at providing an alternate that reverses the colors of the text and background of the posts.
(That IS a good idea.)

-------------
Your idea for the number of posts on a page is an interesting one. I wonder if it might not confuse some people when they go back to a post that they saw before and don't find it where they thought it was before?
In any case, the intent of your idea has some merit.
I don't have the time to look at it now, but I'll be keeping this post to remind me of it.

-------------
Your Profile options should look like this:
(at least that's how we see it using Netscape and Internet Explorer)

If it doesn't look like that, then perhaps there's an issue with the browser (not the computer) you're using. You can tell me more about that and we can try to track down the problem.

BTW: The latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows-based machines is Ver. 6.0 SP2. I wonder why they haven't updated the Apple version? :?

----------------
I see you already saw my post on the email last night.
http://www.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=120

-------------
Hope this helps for the moment!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:08 pm

Again, I'm not busting chops over this, but this is the only BB I use that has this problem. I figure it has to do with the color scheme or template you designed. For the record, another board I use also uses phpBB. It amazes me how radically different they look, yet work the same. And I don't have the radio button or check box problem with that one.

My radio buttons can be distinguished, but my check boxes are anyone's guess:
Image Image

As far as the IE version, I am on the lastest version for Mac OS 9. With the advent of Apple's own browser (OS X olny), MicroSoft stopped development on IE for Mac. That leaves me and my legacy equipment with IE 5.1.7.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:21 pm

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:As far as the IE version, I am on the latest version for Mac OS 9. With the advent of Apple's own browser (OS X only), Microsoft stopped development on IE for Mac. That leaves me and my legacy equipment with IE 5.1.7.

Bummer!

Well, it very well may be a version compatibility problem. I'll take a look at my .css files and see if there's a better way or different way of programming the look of the check boxes and buttons.

As for the template: there are many (hundreds?) of templates available for phpBB discussion forums.

They all have the same basic features, but beyond that -- the sky's the limit as far as creativity goes!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:24 pm

By the way: what's the other BB you're talking about?
How do your buttons and check boxes look there?

That might help me if I can compare the two...

Thanks
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 pm

I'll PM the other BB address. It's semi-private. FYI: They use phpBB 2.0.5

But here's how it looks:

Image Image

By the way, we both may have already spent more time on this than necessary. Perticularly if I'm the only one here using a legacy Mac.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djmc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:59 am

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:I'm the only one here using a legacy Mac.

yes you are!!!

Get a Dell...:lol:
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:49 am

CJ -
Adding the "Quick Reply" option fixed some of these problems. Again, I realize that I may be the only one affected. You may want to have the people at phpBB read this thread.

The Quick Reply form check boxes are OK:Image

The normal Reply form check boxes remain unchanged:Image

The buttons on the profile:Image
It seems interesting/significant that the options for the new quick reply form, as well as the check boxes on that form, are the only ones that work for me.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Return to Member Suggestions