CD player stops, has happened 3 times, what’s up?

General Discussion for DJ's on topics not directly related to the other DJ forums

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby Robert » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Last week and this week I’ve had my Denon DN-4500 CD player stop cold in the middle of a song on 3 occasions (different song/disc every time. Luckily I’m quick with the mic and covered it up with a shout out or act like I’m playing with the crowd, then hit play again and everything is fine thereafter.

It has happened on the left side player only, all three times. Could the cause be the remote, the disc player itself or the CD itself? Yes, all of my discs are clean. Yes, I clean my player with a store bought cleaner often.
Interestingly when I play the same disc/song again during teardown or at home, they work fine.

Seeking solutions?
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Re: CD player stops, has happened 3 times, what’s up?

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Very strange... I've had nothing but good luck with Denon products. I suspect that you'd probably get a replacement from your retailer if it's really new - or the same from Denon if you contact them.

Yes you could troubleshoot and discover if it's the player or the head unit if you had a second of each, but as a performer, you don't have time to mess with such things during your event. See if you can just get the unit replaced - it'll be worth the effort.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Robert » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I've tapped, jiggled, banged and punched the unit. It works perfect. I've played the known to stop discs over and over, all works perfect. What the problem is???

At my next event, my luck it will happen again. If so, I'm buying a new unit. DN-D4500?

TO ALL: What other rack mount CD players do ya' all recommend that are as good if not better than the Denon DN-D4500 and plays CD/MP3 and has long anti - skip projection? List some good options please.
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Postby djwak59 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 am

Hi Robert,

You are not alone with this dilema !
I've got a Denon 4500 also and I've had this happen to me too. AND I believe it was on deck 1, the left side. I remember I was playing ZZ Top "Legs", and very early in the song, it just cut out on me. I had deck 2 cued up already, so I just went to deck 2 with no real big deal. At first, I thought I hit the play button by mistake to pause it, but that wasn't it. Both decks played fine the rest of the night ! And I too tried to recreate the glitch with the same disc and nothing happened. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened since then, so I don't know.....gremlins or something.
I still have faith in the unit. I hear the Denon 4500 was, or still may be, the top dual CD/MP3 player, if you're still using a dual deck that is. All my decks are Denon and I've had very few problems with them over the years. If you go to the Denon Forum site ( Denon DJ ), there's a whole fan-board devoted to just the 4500, you might find more answers there.
Right now, I'm using the Denon HD2500 hard drive player, trying to get away from lugging my CD cases around, and go totally MP3 files.

Good luck.
djwak59

Return to General Discussion