All in One Cord for Powered Speakers

General Discussion for DJ's on topics not directly related to the other DJ forums

Moderator: Dave Miller

All in One Cord for Powered Speakers

Postby Robert » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Anyone use Gepco RunOne Powered Speaker Cables?
Quality?
Cost for a 25ft or 40ft if they make that, featuring xlr ends and power line for K10 and K12 speakers?
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Re: All in One Cord for Powered Speakers

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:38 pm

I've never seen these in person, but they look like they're good quality, and can be custom ordered to fit your needs.

I believe Bill @ ESC also does custom work like this.

I'll be ordering some custom cables soon - I'm so tired of running power, sound, video, and DMX cables all over the place... it will be nice to just run 3 or 4 cable bundles to where they're needed and be done!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:30 pm

It was my understanding that you should not run audio & AC cables parallel, because the audio picks up a 60hz hum. Therefore it would seem like a really bad idea to purchase cables where they were bound together.

Unless these cables have additional shielding to prevent that problem....
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby BillESC » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Cable such as you desire are available and I'll sell them to you. But I personally would NEVER use them myself.

Should a freak situation occur where the cable assembly was pinched causing a dead short, you'll have 120v traveling down your audio signal chain. That is catistrophic system failure, none of your audio system would ever work again.
Thanks,

Bill - ESC

Innovative production assistance since 1973
804-435-6858
info@entsyscorp.com
www.entsyscorp.com
BillESC
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:12 pm

That's a good point about the pinched cable, Bill.

What I'm going to be looking for will be more like a bundle of individual cables that are the right length to reach each of the components on each end. Still individually shielded cables... just put together with some sort of ties or wrapping to keep them together for easy setup/teardown.

They'll plug into 19" rack patch panels (That I need to design & have made...)

Properly shielded & balanced cables won't pick up the 60Hz hum of the 120vac - at least not for the shorter runs I'm looking for.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 am

I did that for a while myself. I made my own custom cabling with xlr cable and power cable placed in a nylon sleeving. it worked well, but after I purchased the wireless speaker system, I reverted to just the power cable, and enjoyed even cleaner audio.

I tapped into my Mackies power for the power for each of my wireless recievers, so only a single cable to the nearest power outlet. No fear of pinching the audio and power cables in this setup, and a much cleaner look and sound IMO.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:35 am

Which wireless system are you using?

The only other cables I run to the stands are for DMX lighting that I sometimes mount just below the speakers - but that's only some of the time, so I'm not so concerned about that...
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Robert » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:21 am

What I've done in the past is tape various length of runs (15ft, 25ft, 40ft, 75ft) with electricians tape. Thus, xlr and power cord together wrapped with black tape. It looked decent and I have never had an issue. But, from reading above it sounds like this is a bad idea, yet no issues for me have arised. YET?
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

CJ, I ran the Phonic wireless system while it was not banned. As I understand it, they have a newer updated model now that adds to their radio frequencies that operate outside the 700mhz spectrum. I haven't been actively DJing anywhere I need it anymore. Last gig I did, I plugged into the house BOSE sound system directly. I also run wireless DMX from Chauvet, so just a single power cord to my light truss too.
Jumpin' Jeff

Return to General Discussion