Bars taking over at Weddings, What's Next? 2011 Observations

General Discussion for DJ's on topics not directly related to the other DJ forums

Moderator: Dave Miller

Bars taking over at Weddings, What's Next? 2011 Observations

Postby Robert » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 am

One thing I've noticed this Wedding Season is 90% of the Weddings I DJ'd at had a booze bar, okay we all know that's normal. BUT, 70% had a Candy Bar! So what will be hot in 2012 that brides will spend more money than a DJ or a least a professional one? In the past it was a Chocolate Fountain and Photo Booth which I saw perhaps10% of the time in 2011.

Another interesting note: At each venue I perform at I generally ask the staff how is business and what do they see most of: Business is great, lots of weddings.

20% of the time a Professional DJ
30% of the time a Friend of a Friend aka a DJ that doesn't know WTF they are doing in most cases
40% are still using and i-pod hooked up to a home stereo or the venues little in house setup
10% a band or no music at all

Keep in mind a lot of these venues are high end places yet hiring a professional DJ is not a priority for many. I also noticed the buffet has featured less selection.

I hope others will chime in with what you've observed or learned thus far from the 2011 Wedding Season for your area.
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Re: Bars taking over at Weddings, What's Next? 2011 Observat

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Most of our venues see a higher percentage of Pro DJs... but your numbers aren't that far off from ours here. I'd say that it's 40% Pro DJ, and 20% ipod... but the rest is the same.

This year we've seen a few ice cream bars - deeeeeeelicious!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Bars taking over at Weddings, What's Next? 2011 Observat

Postby Toneman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 am

I would have to agree with CJ. I'm also located in the state of Washington...(the Tri-Cities).There is less ipods then Pro djs, but I have seen an increase in the ipod weddings.
Toneman
Toneman

Return to General Discussion