Ripping all videos from DVDs... or just the hits?

Music and videos are the livelihood of the Professional Mobile DJ -- make sure you have the latest and greatest for your next event.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Ripping all videos from DVDs... or just the hits?

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:21 pm

I've come up with a plan for what videos I'll keep on my hard drives. WHAT DO YOU DO? IS THIS A REASONABLE PLAN?

I play my music videos from my computer using VirtualDJ and a few other programs, so I rip my Subscription Music-Video DVDs to the hard drive.
  • VIDDISC CLASSIC: 20+ videos each month - not bad, since they're put out by genre, popularity, or some other meaningful method as determined by ScreenPlay.
  • VIDDISC HITS: 35+ videos each month - mostly stuff I'll never use, but I get the subscription for the few videos that I'll actually use at some point - maybe. I do weddings, school dances and other events where only popular Top 30 dance songs are requested, along with some Country. Most of the Hits videos would be fine for sitting and watching on your TV... but are useless for dances and parties.

I do NOT want to have all videos ever produced on my DJ hard drives - pretty soon they'll be full of useless never-played videos just taking up space. I only want to have the hits... but it's hard to tell what's going to be a hit on each of the DVDs that I get - so the question is:
How do I rip just the videos that I'm likely to use?

I've come up with this plan so far:
  • Rip all of the "Classic" videos. There are still lots here that I won't ever use, but at least the subscription company is putting some thought into putting them out by genre, popularity, or some other meaningful method.

Then...
  • Rip all of the current year's "Hits" DVD videos to disc.
  • At the end of the year, when the Year End Charts come out for the previous 12 months... compile the AC/Country/Alternative/Rock charts into a single list, and then transfer all of the matching videos into a file for that year. Also transfer any files that I played throughout the year, even if they weren't on those charts.
  • Delete all the rest of the videos for that year. (They weren't hits, weren't played... don't need them!)
  • Repeat each year.
What do you think?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Ripping all videos from DVDs... or just the hits?

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't do video, but I understand the space concerns. On the other hand, with the way prices keep coming down, and capacity keeps going up, how much of an issue is it?

But if you choose to go ahead with your plan to prune the crap, my only concern is putting too much emphasis on year end charts.

Often, songs that are released late in the year do not make the charts until the following year. Or a hit that straddles the year-end will sometimes rank low in both years.

On the flip side, radio station greatest songs of all time lists, when voted on by listeners, tend to have a disproportionate number of recent songs that drop off the list the next year.

Bottom line: No real advice, but stuff to rattle around.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Ripping all videos from DVDs... or just the hits?

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:02 pm

That's true about the charts - there's no real way to make a truly accurate "party/dance hits" list that'll be good for years to come - even where you live and perform can affect what music you'll play over the years.

Your point about size/cost of storage is a good one too. For audio files, I've given up and am just collecting all my music in compressed format (mp3 @ 320 kbps). As my collection grows, the cost of maintaining it goes down each year as MB has turned to TB...

Audio files are around 8 or 9 MB.

Video files can be 150 to 190 MB in VOB format, or perhaps 1/2 of that in some other much more compressed format - but we're still talking about files that are 10x the size of audio files. The price for THAT amount of storage can get a little costly for a large collection.

1 Year: If I say 175 MB x 55 video files per month x 12 months... that's 115500 MB == 112.8 GB

Then you start talking about 10 or 15 years of videos? Well... now we're into TB storage.
Perhaps I just ought to start looking into compressing everything down to h.264/mp4 files - how big are those? Hmmmm...
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Music & Videos