Patriotic songs.

Music and videos are the livelihood of the Professional Mobile DJ -- make sure you have the latest and greatest for your next event.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Patriotic songs.

Postby djwak59 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Dave,

Yeah...I've long ago decided NOT to play the Hendrix "Banner" at my event. Now, IF there were alot of bikers, or classic rockers around.....might be a different story. I thought for sure you'd say something about "Born to Run" after your earlier post on this topic !

I usually never play Diamonds' "America", but I'm planning to this year. As I stated, I want to keep the tunes up and really non political, more "proud to be an American" type of thing. I only need maybe one "America" tune every half hour or so. I do ALOT of vendor and local business plugs at this event, so there's really not alot of time that music is playing. It's almost like listening to a radio broadcast !

Tunes I'm planning to use are, ( not in any order )

Little Pink Houses, Mellencamp
America the Beautiful, Ray Charles vers.
God Bless the USA, Lee Greenwood
Livin' in America, James Brown
America, Neil Diamond
Freedom, Paul McCartney
Were An American Band, Grand Funk ( yeah, well maybe )
Only in America, Jay and the Americans
Back in the USA, Chuck Berry
Courtesy of the R.W.and B., Toby Keith ( save it for later )
American Trilogy, Elvis

I'll probably add a few more before then, but, this is the kind of stuff I'm lookin' to play. Right now, I just hope I'm not rained out.

See ya.
djwak59

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 pm

I have no additional comment about him playing Born In The USA, other than he played it. You pointed out that I mentioned it in a prior post, so you already know how I feel about that.

I particularly like Neil Diamond's America, because it starts slow and quiet, and builds. Perfect for the first song of a fireworks show, since it gives the audience a false impression that there's not going to be any music to go with the show. For your event, just skip about 17 seconds of the intro. You can even get away with skipping 45 seconds of intro if you really want to. Just make sure you play that last 15 seconds before the lyrics come in.

FYI: Here's the playlist from when I did the fireworks last year. I talked to the fireworks company a week before and found out the show would last about 15 minutes.

I had given the song list, with exact duration, to the fireworks crew in the afternoon. We worked it out where they would give me the signal when they are ready, I would finish the song playing at the time, and play Jay & Americans as I tell people to get seated, etc. After that, I did the "Are you ready / let's do a countdown" thing. The crew launched the first shell on '2' - so it exploded exactly on zero. VERY good timing.

They also timed it so the finale started right as Whiney started to sing "Brave". I let the finale go without music, then did the "Let's hear it for the fireworks crew" before starting Lee Greenwood.

I was TOTALLY stoked about how the timing went and went up to the crew to tell them so. They responded that they never worked with a DJ that had their act together like I did. Yeah, tell that to the committee that didn't want to pay me....

8:52:38 PM - Only In America - Jay & Americans
8:53:31 PM - -- Break --
8:53:39 PM - America - Neil Diamond
8:57:34 PM - You're A Grand Ol' Flag - U.S. Air Force Band
8:58:45 PM - Yankee Doodle Dandy - Bobby Morganstein
8:59:51 PM - God Bless America - Kate Smith
9:02:31 PM - Stars And Stripes Forever - U.S. Army Band And Chorus
9:06:03 PM - Star Spangled Banner - Whitney Houston
9:08:09 PM - -- Break --
9:09:52 PM - God Bless The USA (Proud To Be An American) - Lee Greenwood
9:12:59 PM - Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Dave,

THANK YOU for posting that - it's a great template for all of us to use, and a perfect example of how to make yourself (the DJ) a VERY important part of the show.

I also especially liked the part where you said:
Dave Miller wrote:They also timed it so the finale started right as Whiney started to sing "Brave"...

You couldn't have mis-typed that any better. Bravo! :hahaha:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 pm

CJ Greiner wrote:Dave,

THANK YOU for posting that - it's a great template for all of us to use, and a perfect example of how to make yourself (the DJ) a VERY important part of the show.
Feel free to use it - just get what you're worth for the gig!

CJ Greiner wrote:I also especially liked the part where you said:
Dave Miller wrote:They also timed it so the finale started right as Whiney started to sing "Brave"...
You couldn't have mis-typed that any better. Bravo! :hahaha:

LOL
I swear I didn't to that on purpose!
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Previous