Patriotic songs.

Music and videos are the livelihood of the Professional Mobile DJ -- make sure you have the latest and greatest for your next event.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Patriotic songs.

Postby djwak59 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi everybody,

I do a Fall fest show every year for my town, I know I'm posting this real early ! This year, it happens to be on 9/11 and they asked for some "patriotic" tunes mixed in with my regular stuff.

A few come to mind right away, Born in the USA, Little Pink Houses, Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue......that kind of stuff.

I want to keep the tunes upbeat. Anyone care to give me their favorites ?

Thanks everybody.
djwak59

Postby Dave Miller » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:01 am

Born in the USA is actually ANTI-patriotic. Read the lyrics.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby JR » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Odly enough, there is a website called www.9-11songs.com

Who Knew?!
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm

There's two kinds of "patriotic" songs.... REAL patriot, and "tow the party-line" patriot. REAL patriot music will offend collectivists, while the other kind is simply feel-good / ear-tickling nationalism.

Do a youtube search for Carl Klang or Band of Patriots if your interested in the former.

“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?” - Thomas Jefferson

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” - Howard Zinn
Bartman Audio Production
http://www.bartmanaudio.com
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Patriotic songs.

Postby djwak59 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the replies, and insight so far.

First off, I will not be favoring ANY political side through what I might play that day. That's not what I'm hired to do.

I'm just lookin' for...... eat apple pie, go to parades, watch fireworks, thank a vet..... kind of stuff. If the town were not requesting it, I probably would'nt even play any of it. I've done this show for the last 8 years, and people come out to hang with their neighbors, play bean-bags, eat Brats, visit the beer tent, and listen to good tunes.

JR, thanks for the heads up on the site. Dave, yeah, I guess I'm guilty of not listening to the words, but come on, who can REALLY understand the words when Springsteen sings anyway ??

See ya.
djwak59

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:52 pm

djwak59 wrote: Dave, yeah, I guess I'm guilty of not listening to the words, but come on, who can REALLY understand the words when Springsteen sings anyway ??
I know. But it's relatively well known among Springsteen fans as well as classic rock fans.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 am

How much patriotic music do you need? Just a few to sprinkle in here and there, or do they want most of the songs played to be of that sort? At one time, the USAF had a few free downloads of their orchestra playing well known tunes. You could probably find some other public domain recordings of the old classics like America the Beautiful, Star Spangled Banner, any John Philip Sousa tunes. Or are you/they looking for more recent tunes? There's usually more country artists with patriotic tunes than any other genre. Have you heard Lynyrd Skynyrd's most recent song? "That Ain't My America". Not exactly the warm-fuzzy feeling patriotic type, but that song sure does drive the point home.
Bartman Audio Production
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby len » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:06 pm

TheBartman47 wrote: "tow the party-line"

Actually, it's toe, as in put your toe on the line, get in line, follow along, etc. Towing the line would mean to drag something behind you. http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html
Have lights, will travel.
630-675-3640
http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com
len

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 pm

yes, well I feel like they're dragging everyone along with ropes around We The People's necks. Anyway, thanks for the explaination. I'd only ever heard the expression, not read it in print.
Bartman Audio Production
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djwak59 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the replies so far.
Bartman47, I didn't even think of the old Sousa stuff, I'll think it over now though. Actually, I WAS thinking of more "modern" stuff, but by that I mean, anywhere from the 40s to now. And you're right, I just want to play 1 every half hr. or so, but I WOULD like that one tune to kinda "stand out" a little.

Thanks !
djwak59

Postby len » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

And one other thing: outside of the fact that the last part was written to include actual cannons, why does the 1812 Overture get used? Since Tchaikovsky wrote it he was writing about the RUSSIAN revolution.
Have lights, will travel.
630-675-3640
http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com
len

Postby djwak59 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi everybody,

len,....good point, yeah, I guess not many DO think about that. But, then again, it's not only Americans who can rejoice in their liberation from another oppressor.

See ya.
djwak59

Postby Eddie L » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 pm

I've done many patriotic shows and fireworks shows on the 4th. If you want to be creative here are some tunes to consider:

The SugarBees - Here In The USA
Boston - Star Spangled Banner (great for fireworks finally)
Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down
Waylon Jennings - America (may want to bump a little)
Rick Derringer - I Am a Real American
Charlie Daniels - This Ain't No Rag It's a Flag
Etta James - Blowin in the Wind
Brooks & Dunn - Only in America
Fabulous Thunderbirds - Work Together
Eagles - There's a Hole in the World Tonight (slow with a very strong message)
Livin in America - James Brown
John Mellencamp - Our Country
Maurice Williams - Tie a Yellow Ribbon (yes, artist is correct)
Rodney Adkins - It's America
Randy Travis - Point of Light
a smooth mix idea: Start 'John Wayne - Pledge of Allegiance' (at around 0:18+) when John says "Liberty and..." begin to fade in 'Paul McCartney - Freedom' time it so that right after John says "...justice for All." Paul sings "This is my right, a right given by God, to live a free life..." (bump up speed a little if you feel necessary)
Eddie L
Eddie L

Postby djwak59 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks Eddie !

I must admit....I'm not familiar with many of the tunes you listed, but I'll check 'em out. Can I get them off iTunes ? ?
djwak59

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:52 pm

That's a great lineup - thanks for the list, Eddie!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Eddie L » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:22 am

You are most welcome. Most should be on itunes. Not sure about John Wayne's Pledge of Allegiance, but it is awesome and I can't put my hands on the cd. Tie a Yellow Ribbon - Maurice Williams is from a various artists CD titled 'I Believe in America'. I love to do patriotic themes. Glad these tunes are helpful.
Eddie L
Eddie L

Postby johnh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:45 am

Oh..Eddie.. you gave a big list of patriotic songs. They are great.. I heard to some of them.. today I will download the others. Thanks for the list.
johnh

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 pm

A spam post brought this thread back to life. (I deleted the offending post). As it happens, I intended to post here anyway!

This past Sunday, we had the fireworks in our town. In previous years, I donated my services to do it. This year, at the planning meetings, I pointed out all the things I do differently, and asked for a measley $200 to do it again. They said that NO vendor gets paid.

So I didn't do it. But I went to the event anyway. During the day, there was a street fair, which included a bounce house and inflatable type super slide. The guy wasn't charging the kids to go on it. I found out that he got paid to be there. Hmmm....

Anyway, the DJ at the fireworks had two 10" speakers to cover an area 285' x 250'. And he was in a corner. I used to use four 15" speakers, and I set up in the middle. He plays acceptable music before the fireworks, then there's a raffle and finally the fireworks. The raffle goes of OK, but then there's another raffle - a special raffle. As it turns out, the winner of the special raffle was nearby, and was required to open the box containing the prize. It was an engagement ring. Then her boyfriend takes the mic to propose, and THAT'S when the mic starts cutting out! From that point on, everything needed to be said twice so the people assembled could figure out what was going on, because what we heard was: "Je- --ll yo- ---ry m-?" "Jen, will --o ma--- me?" "He as--d -er to mar-- -im." "Sh- -aid y--" "y--" "Yes!" And then the fireworks.

Sigh....
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djwak59 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Dave,

I've encountered situations like that too.

I won't be working an event, but I'll just be at one, and there might be a DJ there with LESS than quality equipment. Of course, as we all probably do, I'll critique the guy.

And it seems alot of the time, the power isn't enough, or a mic. is feeding back , or there are cords hanging all over the place.

And I always ask myself, "How in the world do guys like this get work, and I'M here as a spectator ? ? ! ! "

I've got my Fall fest coming up this weekend on Sept. 11. I always look forward to it, but this year, the weatherman is predicting some rain. I hope he's wrong or the rain's over before I start, I hate even thinking about my gear getting wet . I could also use the extra cash right about now too !

See ya.
djwak59

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm

I TOTALLY forgot to mention the playlist....

Prior to the fireworks, he was playing some current pop stuff. Nothing wrong with it.

The first song for the fireworks is Neil Diamond's America. Nice choice. It's the same song I used for the past two years. The next sounds like one of the Army band patriotic march songs that I also used. Cool.

He lost me on the next song.

Jimi Hendrix Star Spangled Banner! AUGH! And on top of that, he didn't even play the whole thing! And he followed it up with Bruce's Born In The USA.

After the fireworks, I went to ask him about the Jimi song. I didn't tell him I'm a DJ or that I though it was the most inappropriate thing in the world. He said he cut it short because he wasn't expecting it to be so long. No comment about Jimi's style or anything like that. I'm thinking "Too long? Doesn't his computer display the duration?" Whatever....
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Next

Return to Music & Videos