Do you scratch?

Music and videos are the livelihood of the Professional Mobile DJ -- make sure you have the latest and greatest for your next event.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby LYoung116 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:39 pm

I don't scratch (when I was in radio some of the records were "cue-burned" ) :?
I have a wheel on my dual Gemini CD player. The only time I used it was for the Freeze Dance for the teenagers (to speed it up and slow it down).
I mix music for weddings (try not to let them know when one song ends and the other begins). My favorite club DJ (wish I knew where to find him) used to do that seamlessly! We all have standard songs for bouquet, garter, etc.. I do not pre-mix and record before the gig. Each wedding is different (I need some variety also).
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby Joseph Ivy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:49 pm

I don't know how to scratch but I fully intend to learn. I don't think that I'll use it much. Once the technology gets to a cd/dvd/mp3 turntable with scratching capability that can download songs from a computer in real time (if that makes sense) then I hope to be good enough to add it as a feature. I think that it would go over big for late night dancing at WC Swing conventions and I'd love to be the first well-paid WC Swing DJ in the country.

Julie, I just crossfade. I actually have a program that does it for me. I choose the mixpoints and it handles the actual mixing. I have the equipment and the knowledge to beatmix, but I don't want to do it. I used to hate it when club DJs changed the beat or the song that I was dancing to.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Re: Do you scratch?

Postby djconroy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:13 pm

Although I am a mobile DJ, I am in the process of learning how to scratch.

So far I haven't taken Time-Coded Vinyls to any gigs, but I have definitely found occasions to use it even in non-club environments when parties get into the hip-hop/house/techno sets (usually later in the night after everybody is moving.)

Eventually I plan on taking TCV to shows - used sparingly it can be quite effective in many environments.

Like has been said, as an artist, it's good to know. As an artist, it can help you to know watercolors, oils, sculpture, etc., even if you specialize in pastels.
djconroy

Postby eldjdelcaribe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 pm

It's amazing how the people that do not know how to scratch put it down. I guess they never played a set of It takes two / Rappers delight / Jump on it / Ice ice baby / Bust a move in a wedding.

I guess that is to retro and not appropiate for a wedding. Give me a break!

If you can't get creative scratching like most of us back in the 80's learned how to, don't put it down. Hip hop, oldschool, Miami booty music, are just some music that the DJs scratch to. I would not do it to Freestlye, Disco, Latin, are just some I could think of.
DJ Freddy
"El DJ del Caribe"
Listen to my mix show every Tuesday Night @ 8pm on www.djfreddy.com/liveinthemix.htm
eldjdelcaribe

Postby yourdjbuddy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:11 am

I'd love to learn to scratch, more for me than for my audiences. I see it as an art form, and I have tons of respect for those that can do it. But I don't see much use for scratching in the mobile scene, especially since more and more of us are turning to computers. Yeah, serrato and finalscratch, etc. can make it easier to use, even with the new technology, but I don't see any demand for it in my market.
At Anderson Entertainment, we care about your event, and it shows! Visit us on the web at: www.anderson-entertainment.com
yourdjbuddy

Postby Dj Sean » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:26 am

I do and their is a demand for a broader talented DJ's, especailly since my age group is now the newly weds, this is catching more and more fire.

Nothing worse than hiring a human CD carousel for most clients.
Not to say any of here are like that but it is easy to fall into that Modus Operandi.

The demand??

The market always wants more talents.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Previous

Return to Music & Videos