Do you scratch?

Music and videos are the livelihood of the Professional Mobile DJ -- make sure you have the latest and greatest for your next event.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Do you scratch?

Postby goodknightdj » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:30 pm

OK, being mostly a wedding/party jock, I rarely scratch (except when I have an itch, LOL).

When, where, and why do you scratch?
-- Tom
goodknightdj

Re: Do you scratch?

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:47 pm

I never scratch, never had a need or desire to scratch. Also, don't have a way to scratch either.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 pm

Back in my club days, I played with it some. That was LONG ago, though, so I guess I have to say "No, I don't scratch." For that matter, I don't even beat-mix much. Once in a while, if I feel like showing off, maybe, but rarely.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Back in the day when I used to carry vinyl, if I was at a party and some kid came up and asked if I scratch, I would briefly scratch whatever was playing. Didn't matter. I could have been playing Johnny Mathis during cocktail hour, and I'd give it a quick scratch just to get the rugrat away from me.

Other than that, even in my club days, I never scratched.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:36 pm

I guess I don't get out enough... but scratching seems more like a novelty these days, rather than common practice. Or maybe it's just localized in certain markets.

Whenever we go out to the clubs here, the most that is done is beatmatching/mixing.

I can't remember seeing anyone scratch since the Orlando MobileBeat convention a couple of years ago. And it was a long time before that when I actually saw it done in a club.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:13 pm

Been thinking about this all day.

Most of us here, as well as on the other boards, are mobile / private party DJs. Those of us that claim to be 'club jocks' are really doing it at smaller clubs, the kind of places that are only a notch above a large bar. And generally playing top-40 and retro hits.

It's only in the large mega-clubs where the DJ is playing a lot of underground / new material, would you see someone who has taken the craft to the next level - a true "Turn-tablist" - where scratching is part of his regular arsenal of tools.

I would think that that kind of DJ would have little use for any of the DJ boards where people are preoccupied with bitching about Bridezilla, the RIAA, bottom-feeders, etc....
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby DJPete » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:54 am

We don't 'scratch' in the common terms of scratching -- but we do periodically scratch the nasty lyrics on certain songs (very careful on this one) @ School/kids functions --

OTS has function keys w/ preprogrammed scratches, or you can manually scratch ---

Flexibility -- that's the key

But in our world, even the beat-mixing isn't a needed item -- Wedding / Private Parties / Kid Dances -- Professional Beat Mixing would be nice to have -- but not necessary!
DJPete

Postby djmc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:03 pm

does scratching one's body parts count? :hahaha:

No scratching at my gigs......
although I've got quite a few remixes that contain scratches in the mix.
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Bryan Durio » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:33 am

Like Pete said, OtsDJ has a couple of scratch F keys that I use to scratch through an unedited expletive if need be.

Otherwise, I've never played to a crowd that expected scratching. It's just so retro Hip Hop to me.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, from Technology and the Future
Bryan Durio

Postby jbrown157 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Never did it, probably never will... don't know how anyway! I do a little beat matching, but may increase that once I get up and running on PCDJ and take advantage of it's features. I've been experimenting but I really don't see that matching beats is all that important when doing weddings and such. I'll just do it because I can!
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Toneman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:48 am

I have an ITCH..................

Can you scratch it?????????

I have to agree with Bryan Durio, "It's just so retro Hip Hop."
Once or twice a year I will get some college frat houses that call to inquire about a DJ that scratches. Scratching must be popular in the underground type clubs.
Toneman
Toneman

Postby Dj Sean » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:58 am

I come from the younger generation of DJ's and scratchin' is a intergal part of my arsenal. I grew up inspired by the more underground DJ's in my area, mostly the bay area, and was amazed at what could be acomplished. With practice most Dj's could get descent at it enough to throw it in when appropriate, even at weddings and birthday parties. If you guys want to see an amazing docutmentary on the birth of Dj'ing and Scratchin' you have to buy this movie. http://www.scratchmovie.com/

What you guys might be overlooking is styles are circular, they keep
coming back. Where i live the 80's are coming back by the generation that is younger than me, and sometimes it makes me laugh to think day-glow will make a come back.

What I believe is this: What i try an accomplish is to be a artist at whatever I do! If you take things to the level of ART you can watch the jaws drop!

Honestly that's what bums me out about some DJ's I have met. They don't really love it like I do I quess. Some are happy to be a multi-CD player and that is it. And in my opinion that is why there is a low opinion of general Dj's because some aren't artist. Don't get me wrong, I not trying to bash on any DJ here at all, I think there are many fine DJ's that are members of this site.

If you love what you do and you impress and please the crowd that's all that matters.

"Turntablist" for life. :D
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Carlo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:23 am

Toneman wrote:
I have to agree with Bryan Durio, "It's just so retro Hip Hop."

Scratching is not always the stereotype, Run DMC. It depends on who's scratching and what they are scratching, hopefully not a bad fungal infection. :jester: Sorry, corny, but everyone else is doin it! :D I think scratching can be tasteful and appealing to many depending on how it's done.
A few good scratches can help for a good transition between some songs. Now if you are trying to do a solo, a 5 min scratch on a 6 minute song, that's another story. I think DJ Splyce does a great job of using many different techniques, including scratching, to transition between songs. He's got a nice downloadable demo: http://www.djsplyce.com/
If all you do is scratch between every song it becomes cliche.

Retro is not always a bad thing, many times it's good. Have you seen the new Camaros? This is such a subjective issue. I'm not taking sides, just trying to show both views. Many, even younger brides, would feel that your style may be retro if you don't throw in a few scratches.

Styles do come full circle, as DJ Sean mentioned.
Carlo

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
Carlo

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:39 pm

I checked out DJ Splyce its a BIG file but pretty cool. 50 mb so you definetly want hi-speed internet. I've heard a couple of DJ's who have tried to mix popular radio songs from many different genres and not many do it as well as Splyce. Thanks for the link Carlo.

Also, I have to agree with you there about scratching every song can become cliche, but at certain times like you mentioned are perfect for it.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:47 pm

I downloaded the DJSplyce demo too. I was dissapointed at the very first that the song choice used profanity (and a couple other songs also were the unedited versions), but other than that, it was prety good. It didn't seem any more special than any other DJ who splice-mixes though.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:56 pm

Bartman, I don't think Dj Splyce is a wedding/event Dj, he is not going for that type of crowd. Who at the club is gonna stop dancin cause they heard a profanity?? Not me.

I do see where "Splyce" gets his name though as he doesn't really mix the songs, he ...splyces.

Not too impressive for sure, and the songs he choose's are a little over used in my opinion but to each their own.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Carlo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:43 pm

I was dissapointed at the very first that the song choice used profanity (and a couple other songs also were the unedited versions), but other than that, it was prety good.

Sorry Mr. Bartman.....It's been a long time since I last heard this and I completely forgot that it did have profanity. Well, it just didn't cross my mind. It's a shame because I like the Bananas song but can't play it at weddings because of this. I personally like her music but, like DJ Sean mentioned, he's a club jock and some profanity at their clubs would not faze them.

I think he is very impressive. Keep in mind that the demo was made so he can show people the variety of techniques he uses and reveal how he can take such an outdated song like Eye of the Tiger or Boogies Shoes make something exciting out of it. At 7min41seconds into the demo he throws in a very retro sound clip that the likes of Grand Master Flash would use. You wouldn't think that people now would appreciate something so retro in their mix, a paradox.

His talent has made him very successful at such a young age. I do not equate how much money you make with how successful you are but he's in such high demand that he makes more money in 5 hours than many make in a few months. If he were to produce his own music, and gained more popularity, I think he has the potential of being in the ranks with the select few superstar djs (Oakenfold, Tiesto, Deep Dish).
Carlo

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
Carlo

Postby FatFrogSound » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:41 pm

Reading everyones responses to this makes me curious. How do you play your songs at weddings and parties? Do you cross fade, do you beat mix, do you pre-mix and record before the gig?
Those of you that use CD's -do you have a mixer with a jog wheel?

Enquiring minds wanna know. :)

Julie
FatFrogSound

Postby jbrown157 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 pm

FatFrogSound wrote:Reading everyones responses to this makes me curious. How do you play your songs at weddings and parties? Do you cross fade, do you beat mix, do you pre-mix and record before the gig?
Those of you that use CD's -do you have a mixer with a jog wheel?

Enquiring minds wanna know. :)

Julie

Hi Julie, Welcome to DJ Gold! The important thing to remember for weddings is to keep people dancing. Crossfades, slam mixes, beat matching (occasionally) are used to create a flow. Sometimes I intentionally "change" the dancefloor and will fade out, pause and start with something completely different (Sequeing from high tempo hip hop to slow country for example). Sometimes I'll use announcements or drops to make a smoother transition. It just depends on the mood of the crowd and how I feel at that particular moment. It's called "reading the crowd". At weddings you need to play for everyone in attendance and not get into a repetitive rut that will alienate some of your guests.

Actually, the mixer wouldn't have a jog wheel, rather it would be on the CD player controller. DAC controllers that many PC jocks use (including myself) also have them. Personally, I pretty much only use them for setting cue points, but there are some very talented DJs around who use them for a variety of different reasons (stutters, looping, etc.).
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby FatFrogSound » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:30 pm

Hey Jack - you rock! Thanks for the reply.

I have a CD\Mixer combo unit and I tend to just call it 'the mixer'. :)
Also, I understand what you mean by keeping the crowd going because I have worked in clubs for many years, however, a pause or gap of any kind in the music is a no-no in the club world. People gasp and point...:)
The one thing I won't miss about club work is - the smoke. woo

Julie
FatFrogSound

Next

Return to Music & Videos