Single operators....represent!

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Single operators....represent!

Postby Dynamite Productions » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:32 am

Single operator here and I like it that way! I may have to do the selling, hauling, setting-up, performing, load-out and get everything home but at the end of the day, I know my clients got the very best I have to offer. When contacted for a date previously booked, I simply provide the client the contact information of other DJ’s in the area that provide similar service. Quality is key for me.
We can learn from each other! Always be willing to share.
Dynamite Productions

Postby Jem-star » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:14 pm

OY! FINALLY!

I can't believe I actually missed three pages worth of posts before I finally became aware of this AMAZING thread!!! AND having to read it ALL before making my comment! WOOF!! That's hard to do!

Forgive me if I sound a little FRUSTRATED...THAT'S WHAT WAITING TO SPEAK CAN DO TO SOMEONE, ESPECIALLY ONE WHO HAS A.D.D. AFTER THEIR MEDICATION HAS JUST WORN OFF!

YES! I AM PROUD OF BEING A SINGLE-OP DJ / ENTERTAINER in just the way you describe it, djwak59. In fact, I use it as a selling point to those who want QUALITY ONE-ON-ONE PERSONAL ATTENTION...I.E.: When you call, YOU GET ME...NOT A RECEPTIONIST OR SECRETARY (or answering machine, for that matter)

And dig this: How often do you get people (banquet managers, venue owners, clients) who are being so patient as you are loading all your gear into the van at the end of the night (especially those BIG GIGS when I bring the whole 'kit & kaboodle')...and they'll at times ask "Need any help?" What's your usual response? Mine is usually this: "Heck NO! And take away my EXCERCISE?" I'm NOT kidding...It's one the many ways I'm trying to lose a little weight...and it AIN'T gonna happen when 'JOE HELPFULL' wants to speed me up so he can finally turn out the lights and get home. I'm going as fast as I can.

Hey! I'm not all THAT angry...SURE they can help when I can obviously see that,
A] They seem dependable (even venue workers)
B] The situation calls for their help...YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

You guys with wives who actually WANT to get involved with your chosen vocation or SO FRICKIN' LUCKY! My wife wants NOTHING to do with it. What can I say...when I made the decision to go full time in 2001, I did it WITHOUT consulting her. I knew at the time she realy wasn't into the DJ thing as a full time job. I didn't have to ask...I knew the answer would've been "NO...I'd rather you be a STOCK BOY at LEVITZ FURNITURE" or something. So, please, ladies, do you actually think anything would be different today between my wife and I IF I had consulted her first?

My 16 year old son has tried going on the jobs with me, but I know I'm too much of a tyrant for him to handle it. He doesn't want anything to do with it...He's a computer / games geek.

I've managed before (a CPI Photo Shop in a mall), and it didn't work out...I'm just not the management-people type...even after tons of books and lessons on the subject (ONE-MINUTE MANAGER, et al) (which amazes me, because I don't seem to have a problem with clients...that I know of).

And ANOTHER thing...I WILL NEVER EVER WANT TO GET MYSELF INTO A SITUATION WHERE I WILL NEED TO HIRE ANYONE...I tell folks (like the GREEDY MIZER JEW-BOY THAT I AM) that I want to hog all the winnings for MYSELF! But the reality is I know I can never manage people. Been there, done that.

Maybe it's the A.D.D., which I'm now medicating for...but who knows; Maybe NOW, since the diagnosis and treatments, maybe I should try again....

NAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

And I ESPECIALLY NEVER WANT TO GO THRU ALL THE HASSLE INVOLVED WITH WHENEVER YOU HIRE ANYONE...FORMS, INSURANCE, LISENCING, RULES, REGULATIONS, TAXES, INCORPORATING...BAH! HUMBUG! NOT FOR ME!

SINGLE-OP FOREVER, BUDDY!

ALTHOUGH...(GULP!) I AM LOOKING INTO RECRUITING DANCERS....NOW, WAIT A MINUTE!!! I can feel ya'll rumblin'...I have taken the liberty of interviewing about a dozen local high school kids who are really into the hip-hop dance thing...I've seen them all perform, but that's about it (so far).

And...is it me...or do I sense just a tiny bit of disrespect to single-ops from DJ WebMin?

Hey CJ...I hope that wasn't too over the top.

I'm sure you'll edit where needed.
Last edited by Jem-star on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffrey Evan Mufson
Jemstar Entertainment - Tampa, FL
"More Than Just About The Music!"
Jem-star

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:58 pm

8)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Hello everyone! Nice to be here! I am a single operator. I do have two systems but I have only used them for ceremony then the reception type gigs. I have turned down several gigs because there is only one of me. I am what you might call "very particular" I haven't met any other Dj's where I live that I would trust representing my company yet. I like knowing that I will treat my customers with the highest of service and professionalism. With no employees I don't have to worry about getting the "super pi$$ed" bride call, if you know what I mean.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Carlo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:04 pm

Jem-star wrote:OY! FINALLY!

Forgive me if I sound a little FRUSTRATED...THAT'S WHAT WAITING TO SPEAK CAN DO TO SOMEONE, ESPECIALLY ONE WHO HAS A.D.D. AFTER THEIR MEDICATION HAS JUST WORN OFF!

Maybe it's the A.D.D., which I'm now medicating for...but who knows; Maybe NOW, since the diagnosis and treatments, maybe I should try again....

NAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Hilarious! I'm not so sure the A.D.D. meds actually wore out. :hahaha:
Carlo

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
Carlo

Postby jwg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:48 pm

Now entering my 10th year as a full-time, single operator system. Having spent 23 years in radio, and doing mobile DJing on the site, it's been a helluva lotta fun thus far!
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby SteveCie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:57 pm

In answer to the question originally posed , as a single system operator, you roll with the punches. You learn to have back up for everything from the cloths on your back to the equipment in the rack!

You learn to bring extra extension cords, table cloth. skirt, chair, even a small step ladder. A portable tent is essential for outdoor events, as is a small cooler with water, soda, some foodstuffs, along with anatacid, Kaopectate, throat lozenges, Tylenol, band aids and breath mints.

You make certain that you establish a good working raaport with the banquet manager as well as the wait staff.

I never eat at an event, but I always bring along a snack and a soft drink and bottled water to keep my stomach settled.

As for the set-up, being a single system operator doesn't pre-clude you from having some one help with the set up and tear down, but if you are entirely on your own, you simply have to allow extra time for this.

Being a single sytem operator has its hardships, but multi-system operators have their headaches too. They have to contend with employees or subcontractors actions of which they have little control over.

One thing I have learned being in business.... if it was easy, anyone could do it!

Another very important thing the single system operator has to do. He has to network with other deejays for help and back-up when the occassion arises.

So my fellow single system operators, all I can advise is to try to make contingencies for everything and good preparation. You are professionals and failure is not an option! do us all proud and make it happen!
»Having an Affair?
...Make sure its with
The Steve Cie Show"
Digital Sound * Intelligent Lights
Serving NJ NY PA Since 1975
www.stevecie.com
www.stevecie.com/forum
Member ADJA
SteveCie

Postby jbrown157 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:36 am

My wife also helps me do whatever she can and I love having her around, but have recently brought in a young guy to be a roadie/apprentice DJ. He's learning quickly and becoming more useful every time out. He's showing quite a lot of promise and I think he'll make an excellent DJ. I'm thinking that I'll be able to give him some non-wedding events to do on his own in the near future. We're going slowly and I want to be sure that the quality level will be what I expect before I turn him loose.

I guess, that will make me a multi-op when that happens! That's been my plan all alone. I hope to retire from the "day" job in a couple more years and go full-time with several systems. This is the next evolution.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Previous

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales