Single operators....represent!

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Single operators....represent!

Postby djwak59 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:04 pm

jr2423, first off, I hope you took no disrespect from my post, I meant none.

I guess what I'm really tryin' to find out is how many guys are out there, who, like myself, get the job, load up for the job, do the job, break down the job, get paid for the job, go home and unload and go to bed. Occasional help is o.k. ( like if you're doin' a large event) but for the most part, you're on your own.

That's how I do it. That's my definition of a single operator.

Am I the only one gettin' by this way? I must be nuts! :shock:

See ya.
djwak59

Postby JR » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:38 pm

djwak59 wrote:jr2423, first off, I hope you took no disrespect from my post, I meant none.

I guess what I'm really tryin' to find out is how many guys are out there, who, like myself, get the job, load up for the job, do the job, break down the job, get paid for the job, go home and unload and go to bed. Occasional help is o.k. ( like if you're doin' a large event) but for the most part, you're on your own.

See ya.

Which fits my analogy & No, I took no offense.

I can't say how many here operate as "one-person" single ops. However, many of the responses so far would indicate that they (including myself) utilize some manner of assistance.

Are you nuts? I don’t think so. But from the text of your inputs here, it would appear that you may be overworked and feeling the strain of it.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby dokai » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:56 pm

I've always thought the term "multi-op" was usually used to refer to a business that has more than one dj/system combo and can therefore operate at two or more different events at the same time. A single dj with a main (reception) system and a remote (ceremony) system is still a single op. Take the same dj, still with the two systems, and add an assistant, and it's STILL a single op because only a single event is being covered. However, the moment the assistant takes one of the systems and goes to a completely different gig, THEN it's a multi-op. Two different paychecks = multi-op. Single larger paycheck because of additional systems and personnel = single-op with upsells.

Thoughts?
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:18 pm

I realise now that I never answered your original question.

I am a single operator.

Occasionally, my wife will help me, particularly if it's local, or the client is a contact of her's. I finally got her to the point where she knows how to re-wrap wires, so, yeah, she's becoming helpful. Of course, during the gig, she will drive me nuts with her comments "What are you playing THIS for?" "Play something good!" Oy.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djwak59 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies and outlooks on the topic everybody.

jr2423, as far as being overworked....I wish! I've got a little something goin' on every month the rest of the year, but I've got gaps too. This year has been better than last so I guess I can't complain too much.

See ya.
djwak59

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:07 pm

djwak59 wrote:I guess what I'm really tryin' to find out is how many guys are out there, who, like myself, get the job, load up for the job, do the job, break down the job, get paid for the job, go home and unload and go to bed. Occasional help is o.k. ( like if you're doin' a large event) but for the most part, you're on your own.

That's me, single op. Only time I get help is when I'm doing a concert for over 2,000 people and need help setting up.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby pjlowe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:23 pm

That would be me!! I have been lunkin and performing
all by myself since 1988. before that it was four of us and alot of lighting effects. I love workng for and by myself!
pjlowe

Postby Dan Zynda, Mobile Music » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:01 pm

I've talked to NAME's past/present Insurance Agent about Multi-Op versus Single Op. Even with 3 systems, I'm still considered a Single-Op because we only take care of one client at a time.

BTW, the new agent is looking good. I'm thinking of getting that extended general liability.
Dan Zynda, Mobile Music

Postby jbrown157 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:43 am

Single op here too. My wife helps me out quite a bit, I'd have a tough time functioning without her. Due to a medical condition, she is unable to work full-time outside the home, so she takes care of most of the business functions (phone calls, paperwork, scheduling, etc.). When we go to a gig (she can go too as long as she prepares for it), She acts as event coordinator and handles customer relations (requests and such). She also helps a bit with loading and setup take down. She also drives so I can relax on the road. She enjoys working the gigs with me and I enjoy having here there. She spoils me!

Without her involvement, I suspect that I would not be doing half of what I do now. Behind every man is a great woman! I'm very lucky to have mine! :love-struck:
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby MusicDoctorDJ » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:36 am

I am also the epitomy of 'the single op'!

I do all aspects of my DJ biz by myself . . .

The booking . . . the paperwork . . . the taxes . . . the loading and unloading . . . the gig itself!

I've been doing the gigs all by myself for the last 14 years!

From 1985-1991, when I had the hugomonsterous sound & light system I had three roadies help me with the muscle!

But, I was still a single op then as I only had the one system!
John M. Daniels
Music Doctor DJ & Photo
Thornton, Colorado

MusicDoctorDJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby medj » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:14 am

Hello all,
I am a new poster referred by DJ Teddy Bear! (Thanks Teddy!)

I am a single op in my area. I specialize in Video Music parties. Luckily no one else has picked up on it. It is a lot of work doing it all alone, but as a previous poster said, when the check comes...it's all mine!

I hate to ask but, has anyone else had bad experiences with trying to network at local bridal association meetings? I joined my local and attended several meetings. When I would try to talk to other DJ's at the meetings I was generally given a few seconds of "Nice to meet you." and then blown off! I mean, come on, I am not a huge threat to these multi-op companies. I can only do one event at a time. I was just looking to make some contacts and develop some friends in the business I can refer to if necessary.

Maybe I was being too sensitive but this happened more than once and with more than one company.

I guess that is why I never see that these groups are members of the DJ associations, ADJA, N.A.M.E. etc. or if they are, they don't advertise it. The DJ's I have communicated with here and at other boards are very friendly and willing to share knowledge.
medj

Postby MusicDoctorDJ » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:55 am

Don't feel bad . . . you are not alone!

I, too, notice that most of the local multi-ops in my area look at us single-ops as 'lowlife DJ's' who are out to make their life miserable!

When, in fact, it seems to really be the other way around!

It is these very same multi-op companies that I hear about all the time from callers who are the DJ companies that they have seen screw up events that they have attended!

But . . . it is their (large multi-ops) low prices that keep people booking them solid!
MusicDoctorDJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:06 pm

medj -

Welcome.

The bridal association meeting might be the wrong place to meet other DJs. You should be there meeting vendors in other areas, the kinds of people that may send business you way. That's probably why the other DJs were short with you - you were wasting their time that they needed to eet the other industry vendors.

Sure, swap cards, but save the chit-chat for another time.

Join (or form) a local DJ association. That's where you can hang with several local DJs and shoot the breeze and tell war stories.

Are you going to the Computer DJ Summit? http://www.computerdjsummit.com/ It's soon and in your neighborhood: October 3-5 in Tampa. Even if you're not computerized yet, you can meet and make contacts with some great people. (Unfortunately I can't make it).
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby medj » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Thanks Music Doctor, It's nice to know I am not alone in feeling that way.

Teddy, I got a great response from other vendors when I talked with them. I did the one thing it is sometimes very hard to do....Listen first, then talk. I let them tell me about their business and then told about mine. I filled several pages with business cards and have a notebook ready if a client needs something from a different service area.

As for the computer summit... :cry: I wish I could go but I am booked for the East Coast DJ Cruise so my vacation time is spoken for. I do use my computer heavily in my DJ'ing so I would have enjoyed this seminar.

Thanks again for the welcome!
Speak your mind...even if your voice trembles.

GO REDSKINS!!!!!
medj

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:26 pm

medj wrote:I got a great response from other vendors when I talked with them. I did the one thing it is sometimes very hard to do....Listen first, then talk. I let them tell me about their business and then told about mine.
Yeah, that's what everyone is there for - to meet wedding people in other industries. But the other DJs you meet, it should be a quick exchange of cards and move on. If you want to talk, do it another time. I kinda think that's what happened, but you got 'put-off' by it. Don't feel that way. That's the way it was supposed to be.

The DJ Cruise is another good way to make DJ friends.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:56 pm

MeDJ -- welcome to DJGold!

I know Merritt Island well -- I graduated from Satellite High School and then worked at Disney for several years!

In fact, one time when I took my wife down to FL for vacation, we drove as far as we could down to the south end of the island... trying to get to the dragon! I heard it's not doing so well lately? :(

[url=http://www.dragonbook.com/history.htm]Image
Merritt Island Dragon[/url]

I believe it's up to you to set the example on how to network with these other DJs. Other vendors will pick up on your outgoing and gracious attitude... and will very likely be interested in referring you for wedding business over a stuffy and impersonal DJ that isn't friendly. :idea:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby medj » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:12 am

Hello CJ and thank you for the warm welcome! :D

I am sad to say that the Merritt Island Dragon is no more :cry:
She passed from a combination of age and the hurricanes that hit our area last year. The rumor mill had been that there was going to be a replacement but as of this post nothing concrete to report on. She and her babies are missed.

You might also be interested to know that the Partick AFB Officers Club is no more. It went up in a blaze of glory earlier this year. A small fire on the roof turned into an inferno! If you check on Florida Today's website you can probably find the story. Luckily none of my events were booked there at that time but a lot of people were scrambling to find alternate locations for their events.

This is a great area to DJ in and I love being so close to the space program and just 1 hour from Disney/Universal/SeaWorld etc.

Drop me a line when you get a chance to visit, It would be great to get together and talk!
Speak your mind...even if your voice trembles.

GO REDSKINS!!!!!
medj

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:14 pm

Thanks -- we'll definitely be coming to FL again soon.
I was hoping to make the computer DJ summit that's coming up... but I don't see at this point how we'll squeeze it in.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby MusicDoctorDJ » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:10 am

I have relatives in Titusville, Florida . . .

My uncle worked at Cape Canaveral his entire career . . . except for the Air Force part!

He took us inside the Cape to see a launch once . . .

Very cool!
John M. Daniels
Music Doctor DJ & Photo
Thornton, Colorado

MusicDoctorDJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djradatz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:10 pm

I once had 2 roadies but now that i attend college i am a single Opp! it is different but still fun.
DJ RADATZ, Saving the world One Videogame at a time since 1986
djradatz

PreviousNext

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales