School gigs

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

School gigs

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:06 pm

Okay, let me summon the wisdom and knowledge of all for a few moments.. :?

When is the best time to approach schools regarding dances and proms? what types of materials do you use? postcards? brochures?
i figure if i get 3-5 schools locked up it will mean 15-20 gigs a year. $$$$
share what works for you, going after this market. thanks
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Wolfie » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:10 pm

Cheers, David.

This may seem like a strange response but it worked for me:

I had tried marketing to schools via letters, phone calls, you-name-it with no luck. Then my daughter, who was in middle school at the time said "Why don't you talk to Ms. Brown? She does a 7th grade dance every year and they don't really like the DJ."

So I mailed a letter to Ms. Brown, C/O the middle school. She called me soon after and booked me for a dance. I worked that school for years afterward. Then when the pups moved on to the high school, they recommended me to the dance sponsors there.

Sometimes it really is "who you know". If you or someone you know has pups in the school, talk to 'em. Find out the names of contacts and get in touch with 'em.

I hope it helps.
Fred and Shirl - Night Wolf Entertainment
National Membership Director, USODJA.

Wolfie

Postby djmc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:08 pm

Wolfie........you're lucky to have had a daughter willing to recommend you!

My daughter won't do that.........she doesn't want Daddy to be watching over her at the school dances. (she sees enough of me at home and when we work together for the wedding events)

Even though the DJs hired at her middle school were DREADFUL, she would rather endure them than be under a microscope!

Now that she's in HS, and has a boy friend, she still feels the same way.

She says "Don't take it personally because you're 20x better than these P.O.S. djs, but my friends whose parents chaperone don't have a good time because they are being watched.....I don't wanna go there!"
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:48 pm

DJMC -
I can see her point, but have you tried the line "Chaperones are free to roam the room, and stand over the shoulder of their kid. I'm stuck in the DJ booth..."?
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djmc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:13 pm

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:DJMC -
I can see her point, but have you tried the line "Chaperones are free to roam the room, and stand over the shoulder of their kid. I'm stuck in the DJ booth..."?

It doesn't matter because on Friday nites I'm making $150 with Zero Equipment (no setup or teardown) and they pay only $200 to the sh1tty DJs they hire at the HS dances.
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: School gigs

Postby audiopulse » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:42 pm

I usually contact schools at the beginning of the school year. Offer them a deal for multiple shows, the more shows they use us, the bigger the discount...
audiopulse

Postby LYoung116 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:01 pm

I was told I did not charge enough and that school budgets had so much money available for dances and proms. I know someone that charged about $750 and was booked regularly. I may contact my old high school.
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:24 pm

Depends on the school really, but there is a very wide budget difference from one school to another. Some are utimate cheap skates, and others are generous with the cash flow. In my area, most schools are prety tight with the budget, but I still do school dances anyway.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Johnny Dee » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:07 pm

At one time we did two mailings a year of postcards to over 600 schools. the mailings were done at the end of August and again in January.

We no longer do any mailings. All of our school work comes in through our web site. We only look to book Homecomings, Proms, Snowball dances and large video dance parties. This works very well for us as it seems that the kids and teachers in charge now shop the Internet for their entertainment, for the larger functions.

We have a special school section on our site and videos as well so they can make a decision just by viewing our web site.
Johnny Dee
Ambassador Entertainment
http://www.ambassdj.com
Johnny Dee

Postby DJPete » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:23 am

I agree with the who you know discussion! -- Took us 7 years and now we do 10-12 proms a year -- Takes word of mouth and kids that see you doing another dance to request you! -- Helps to have 2 systems/lights etc. and competent help as well!

Currently we're only booked for 2 proms this year, but the rest will call in Jan/Feb and a few in March panicking. We feel these are the 'gravy jobs' -- Background music/mic support for 3-4 hrs -- dance only 2 hrs. Easier than a drunken wedding reception and they generally don't ask for the nasty stuff @ Proms!
DJPete

Postby TheBartman47 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:22 pm

Here's a picture of my most recent school dance gig...
Attachments
school dance dj setup.jpg
27,000 Watt sound system
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:31 pm

I'm just one more voice in the chorus of people saying that it is who you know. I just happen to know people at that work in education. Last week, I was hired for 5 school dances at a Jr high through a friend that I know from district. Two of the dances are from 6pm to 8pm and will kill the rest of the night, but the other three are 3:15-5:15.

These are all getting my fundraising discount, but I am hoping that they will lead to some full-priced events at the end of the school year.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales