Not Another DJ Directory Website

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Not Another DJ Directory Website

Postby DJMMC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Ok guys & gals. I am a single opt. My wife does not help me, I have no roady or children. Sooo my advertising money has to be spent wisely.

This year there have been a FLUX of new directories and search sites. Which one works? Which do you choose? Do you actually do your research to find out if those sites are WORKING BEHIND THE SCENES FOR YOU??? I bet more than half of you do not do that research. How often do you check your ads?

Here's two examples of what I found amazing to me:

One EXPENSIVE wedding planning site to advertise (weddingsolutions.com) actually told me they do NO ADVERTISING except for a few key words to send poeple to their site. After researching them, I found ONE keyword that put them in the top listing on Google. How many people think thats worth up to $120 a month (plus pay per lead)? Just curious. They rake in alone in VA over $6,000 a year in advertising costs and they can't spend their money on advertising? yikes

Another website I called (Bride.com) said they DO NO ADVERTISING PERIOD. Hey, at least she was honest! Whats with that???!!

TheKnot quoted me a $500 a month Featured Listing. WOW! I was only interested in that package because a lower one would bury me. PLUS, I havent heard anything positive from DJ's who advertise with them.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. So, what works for you? Who is scamming us and who is working your money?

I would love to hear from you........

My Top 3:

Respond
WeDJ
All Wedding Planning

My bottom 3:

PartyPop
Direct Catering
Gigmasters
DJMMC

Postby Joseph Ivy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:13 pm

I really think that this is a regional thing. I suggest asking everyone you know that is engaged or has been married in the last year to share with you what sites they advertise on.

Also, I suggest looking into bridal shows and magazines. If people see you in a magazine, see your website, and see you at a bridal show, it will do a lot for your credibility. You will be able to put 'as seen at "The Best Bridal Show In The VA" on your advertisements.

I know from personal experience that advertising dollars don't always translate into web traffic and web traffic doesn't always translate into bookings. I am becoming more and more convinced that the best way is to do your advertising research yourself.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Re: Not Another DJ Directory Website

Postby SteveCie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:35 am

This same question is appearing on several different forums. It is simply the time of the year. Booking season is extensively over, the graduation parties are all done, and the summertime bookinglull is well underway. Deejays aren't seeing any serious booking activity and now have a chance to look at their budgets etc.

It's important not to over react. But it is prudent to look at how you are spending your advertising dollars.

Some of the well known sites might not be translating into direct bookings for you, but soem of them contribute to ancillary bookings.

What am I talking about?
Many of these bridal web sites will cause your name to come up high in the web search engines, thus providing you with name recognition.

Today's consumer is very astute. They will look into several options for their needs. If your name consistently pops up on differernt searches and sites, it can only benefit you.

The trick is not to waste a lot of dollars needlessly.

As you said, there are many many wedding web sites out there.
Check yourself out on the ones you are currently subscribing to.
Are they causing your name to come out in the search engines?
Arethey causing you any direct bookings at all?
These two components are essential in you deciding yay or nay to use a particular site.

I find that it is a regional thing.
So far...
GigMasters.com, WeDj.com, are the only two sites that work for me.
They are each affordable, cause me top rankings in the search engines, and they give me direct bookings.

Here are a few of the sites I used and decided to cancel....

WedAlert.com
WedPlan.net
Decidio.com
AllWeddingPlanning.com
Respond.com
Yellowpages.com
»Having an Affair?
...Make sure its with
The Steve Cie Show"
Digital Sound * Intelligent Lights
Serving NJ NY PA Since 1975
www.stevecie.com
www.stevecie.com/forum
Member ADJA
SteveCie

Postby djmc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:15 pm

SteveCie wrote:So far...
GigMasters.com, WeDj.com, are the only two sites that work for me.
They are each affordable, cause me top rankings in the search engines, and they give me direct bookings.

Here are a few of the sites I used and decided to cancel....

WedAlert.com
WedPlan.net
Decidio.com
AllWeddingPlanning.com
Respond.com
Yellowpages.com

Except for Wed Alert & Yellowpages.com---- my list is IDENTICAL to Steve's...GMTA.

No more lead services!

Focusing exclusively on Direct referrals thru my web site, and keeping only WeDJ & Gigmasters.
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby phatlen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:27 pm

For what it's worth, we've tried Wedding resources (expensive), online yellow pages (expensive), newspapers (expensive) and not been pleased with any of them.
We now have a listing in the Yellow Pages Book, our own web page, a listing on wedj.com and a listing on liveacts4you.com and are quite happy with the results.
We feel it's a necessary evil to have a listing in the Yellow Pages Phonebook for legitimacy...some folks use it as a resource instead of the net or as just a secondary check.
Our own website works very well for us.
We have a gold membership with wedj.com for approximately $220 per year and it works very well for us.
liveacts4you.com is completely free and we have a listing and video on this site as well.
phatlen

Postby djmc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 am

My WeDJ listing comes due this week.

I'm going to DOWNGRADE to "Silver" ($100 less).
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby jwg » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:11 am

To be honest, I only use my Gold Listing for SEO.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby djmc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am

jwg wrote:To be honest, I only use my Gold Listing for SEO.

I've done my homework, and it appears that Silver ($100 less) produces the SAME search engine optimization benefits.

My cost-cutting won't spare WeDJie World, I'm downgrading to SILVER because:

1) only using WeDJ for SEO purposes, don't care about WeDJie World leads.

2) Gigbuilder CRM (Client Relationship Management system) is free.

With the extra $100, I'm going to buy a "Silver" in WedExperts.com as an experiment, to see if there will be more SEO benefits:

a) if Scott & Brandon have used a different hosting IP server address

b) Alexa toolbar tweeking (SEO trick from WeDJ) should work in a similar manner, if the hosted domain is completely different

c) WedExperts should reach PR3 on the next Page Rank update. Links from WedExperts won't have the same "Link Juice" as WeDJ, but it should increase YSE (Yahoo Site Explorer) and GWT (Google Webmaster Tools) LINK COUNTING, which nearly always results in higher SERP. (search engine ranking position --nonsponsored).
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby mrochester95 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 pm

I've had some luck with referrals from http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/bands_djs_entertainment.html in the past, but I'm just starting out myself so I'm not sure if that's the kind of site you're looking for. In terms of just getting my name out there it's been pretty helpful, especially on the local level.
mrochester95

Postby DJ Alan Dodson » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:34 am

Selective refferral payments can be beneficial. However, top of mind awareness with the venues, caterers, bridal shops, etc. is priceless. I try to visit every wedding vendor in my area at least once every 60 days. If they see me, they remember to refer me.
DJ Alan Dodson
Not just "a" DJ, "The" DJ!
[color=red][size=84]Member of the ADJA[/color][/size]
"Price is what you pay....value is what you get!" Warren Buffett
DJ Alan Dodson

Postby mrochester95 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:32 am

Absolutely! Visiting in person is invaluable. Good point.
mrochester95

Postby djmc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:25 pm

I've found that "online back-scratching" can be quite effective....

AND it saves a lot of gasoline & TIME.

I can review a Wedding Venue in the time it takes to put on my bathrobe & slippers-- brides read my commentaries in "Yelp.com" and they contact me for their DJ service.

Many brides say they "Ignore the venue recommended lists" because they say they feel the companies all PAID $$$ TO BE ON THE LIST and they don't want to pay extra % to the venue if they don't need to.

Back to topic.

WedExperts IS working....I'm getting phone calls, direct web site hits and e-mails from my Silver listing. PLUS about 367 new External Links counted by Google. Looks like it was $110 well-spent. Much better than having only a "GOLD" in WeDJ--- having SILVER in one and SILVER in the other is paying off, both in the organic search and increased exposure thru WedExperts having high ranking (right behind me at #6 for "Sacramento Weddings" in Google
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales