Trying to get started in Ohio

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Trying to get started in Ohio

Postby gonzo78 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:58 am

Trying to get started in Ohio. All the Gigs I have done in the last year were freebies(Relay for Life). Now I have paying gigs lined up in the near future and i'm trying to find out if I need a Vendor's Lic in Ohio or need to collect sales tax and that kind of stuff. Also considering the ADJA chapter meeting in Cinn Monday. The website says you can attend 2 meetings to see if you are interested in joining. Also looking at Prime Cuts service. Do they duplicate material on CDs ie the same song on more than 1 CD?
gonzo78

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Vendor's licenses are usually a city thing, not a state thing, however, as a DJ, you aren't "vending" since you are not selling a product, but rather a service. And I konw in Texas, and probably most all other states, DJs do not collect sales tax. The only thing akin to licensing or whatever that I would think you ought to do is register your business name (DBA = Doing Business As...) so you can protect the name from someone else masquerading as you and also be able to open accounts and conduct business in your business name.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Trying to get started in Ohio

Postby jbrown157 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:18 am

Hi Gonzo, welcome to DJ Gold! It sounds as if you have the right idea. The best way to learn how to do the business the "right" way is to learn from and network with those who are already doing that. I would strongly encourage you to check out the Cinci ADJA meetings and get to know as many of the members as you can - Tell Brandon that I sent you! They are a great bunch of guys and will help you get started in the right direction.

Prime cuts is also a good way to go. I love my subscription. It gives me pretty much all the new music I need.

I am also happy to see that you have done Relay for Life events. We have a thread right here dedicated to RFL's and there are a good number of us here who also do them. Check it out and please tell us about your events.

MCDJX '07 May 22, 2007 Southfield MI featuring Scott Faver. Visit www.miadja.org for ticket information.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby gonzo78 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have just finished the paper work for the State of Ohio name registration and am working with Prime Cuts for the 3 month trial subscription. Hopefully I will start receiving CDs this week. I did the 2006 Relay at Warren County and a couple of smaller Relay fundraisers at the FOP. Due to other commitments (i.e. my daughter graduating from high school this year) I had to decline the relay for 2007. I think I'll finally make an ADJA meeting tonight and check it out. Now I just need to finish tweaking my setup. From what I’ve seen on the Peavey forums the Bartman is the expert in that category.
gonzo78

Postby jbrown157 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:58 pm

If you're planning on attending the Cincy ADJA... The meeting has been rescheduled to tomorrow 4/3. Larry Williams is the guest speaker. If you can possibly get there... do it! You'll be glad you did.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby gonzo78 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 pm

I realized that about twenty minutes before time to leave. I checked the website for directions and realized instead of meeting on Monday as usual the meeting was Tuesday. I went Tuesday night and listened to Larry's presentation and purchased his book. A lot of it is just pure, simple, sound business principles and polices which a lot of people never learned or lost sight of. His book makes a lot of sense. I did meet Brandon long enough to shake his hand but that was about it. I didn't really get a chance to talk to anyone there about the chapter or a million questions I had. They were all pretty busy and I must have been invisible. maybe I'll make another meeting and find out some more details.
gonzo78

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales