Opportunity Cost, does it pay to say sorry?

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:03 pm

Bartman, Toneman, Audio Meltdown, you've are made good points.

And I will assume, no, you don't flex on your prices because, in the long run you don't think its worth it.

I think that is great and good for the industry in your area. Unfortunely as their are alot of bottom feeders in and around my area who are taking away alot of business, I've had to adapt (just a little) and its payed off.

Don't get me wrong I have, overall, raised my rates. In fact I just recently booked my highest paying gig yet. And my business and bookings are constantly improving.

And Bart, I know you weren't really talking about me, but my services are not anything close to a KIA (Korean piece o crap) I literally have a broken KIA from my mother, rotting in my yard as we speak. LOL

I've been a DJ since I was 17, it's what I am good at, and it's what I love to do. I am in it for the long haul, not short payoff.[/quote]
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Re: Opportunity Cost, does it pay to say sorry?

Postby Xtreme Productions » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:11 pm

Continuing on the cars. Manufacturers don't breed cars to make a low price luxory kialexus. The reason is that kia makes there money TARGETING low budget car buyers. Lexus is not a better car than a honda or a toyota or a nissan they just advertise towards the ones that can dump the money on that to say "I have a lexus". MY POINT if you advertise yourself as the lexus of DJ's the bride will pay whatever. I did a halloween party for $650 for two hours and then they were having so much fun they passed a hat at the dance to raise another $150 tohave me stay another hour - $800 for for 3 hours of DJing. If you are having problems booking your 4 hour gig sell them a two hour (an ES lexus instead of a LXI lexus) then let your DJing sell the other hours. I compete to an extent if someone calls and says I just called BIG JOHNS MOBILE DJ AND FISHING BAIT and they said they could DJ my gig for $300 with unlimited time and they will even throw in some stink bait. I say "thats a heck of a deal you got there, $300 will get you 2 hours of ANY TYPE OF MUSIC, proffessional sound system, wireless mic, light show, and if you are having fun I will even help you raise enough money by doing a dollar dance or something along that line that I could stay for another hour. Now BIG JOHN he may be good at selling bait and he may be an excellent DJ but his price is not up with the local GOOD dj's, if you book him you might save money BUT if you are wanting that wedding that every guest will remember and base there events after book SOMEONE that is reputable"...Usually they book you after you say something like that with no more haggling. WHAT I SUGGEST TO EVERYONE IS TO HAVE A NO HAGGLING POLICY. This will then weed out the people that immediately ask "whats your price"... If you think about this way of doing business, the DJ business is way behind the rest of the wedding industry. Take photographers for example. We have a moto phot where I am from and the photographer there does an AWESOME JOB. But if you want to be able to say I had my pictures taken by Wess Grey or Muncy's you have to pay three times the amountof moto photo. To break this down even more to the way I see DJ business is this: MOTO PHOTO= BOTTOM FEEDERS if you compete with the local moto photos then you might as well change your name to moto photo. You have got to make a name for yourself just like the high end photographers add there signature to the bottom of your portrait. I know that the ones that have been competing with the bottom feeders will have a rough year if they jump there price up. But DO IT even if you have to get a second job for a while...if you do this after a year or two you will be able to take that extra money that your getting from each gig and spend it high end advertising. then raise your price every year...I think you guys get the point for all that have made it reading this far into my mind of business...THATS ALL FOR NOW
Xtreme Productions

Postby Xtreme Productions » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:22 pm

Another point DJ Sean: from what I understand about what a "bottom feeder" is, it is a DJ that feeds off the lower paying clientel. This is not saying a lexus dj is a better dj than a kia dj. But from what you are saying if your prices are competing with your local bottom feeder dj's you might as well stop straddling the fence and go for bulk gigs at a lower rate. Book everyone that calls at whatever rate and you will make a crap load of money BUT make a name for yourself and youll make the same doing one gig as a bottom feeder doing 4. Another Idea shut your biz down and start another under another name if you want to get rid of that low end dj rumor that is what i did..
Xtreme Productions

Postby Toneman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:11 pm

TheBartman47 wrote:If someone comes to you looking only for a low price DJ, then they are not your customer, and they will probably be happy with the human juke box and not really mind if he messes up a few minor details and his sound quality isn't all that great. If it comes down to them having a cheap DJ or no DJ at all, let the bottom feeders fill this market niche.

If I'm to lower my price to get there business then I'm no better then the bottom feeder. Taking in the gig just to fill my calender. I would rather pass it up and get a event that is going to pay my price.
Toneman
Toneman

Previous

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales