How's your internet marketing strategy?

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

I am on the first page of google !!!!

Postby Joseph Ivy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:56 pm

Today, I moved to the first page of google for one of my key phrases. I am on the 3rd page for my other key phrase. I am eager to see how my web traffic is next month :)

On another note, I have finally found a few DJs that charge less than $500. I guess I'll have someone to send the price shopper to for now on.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Re: How's your internet marketing strategy?

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:18 am

joseph, i recently added a option to my packages.

a 2 hour time block.

i send one of my guys out to perform 2 hours. after dinner we do the dances and play for the remainder. i only charge $350 for this. no lights and no planning consultations. they choose the traditional dance songs and have use of my online request generator to choose some of the remaining music. we still do the toss, dollar dance or whatever else they want. i pay my dj $100 and i take the remainder. what do y'all think of this? i'm trying it out for awhile. there is a market for brides that want a good dj but can't afford a full blown 4 hr reception at our regular fee's.

update did not work!! discontinued!
Last edited by davidjones@a2zmobilemusic on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby dokai » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:00 am

David - This should probably be split off to a new topic, but I'll toss my opinion in here.

This is similar to when a bride asks me "Can't you just show up after dinner and charge less? We'll skip the dinner music." The problem with this is that I'm now dragging equipment through the middle of a banquet hall, setting up equipment, etc., while people are trying to eat. Not only is it very disruptive, it's bad business. NONE of them think "Oh, the bride must have been trying to save money." Instead, they're all thinking "Holy cow! The DJ is running THIS late? Remind me to tell people not to hire THIS idiot!" And even if the bride told everyone that she asked me to arrive late (yeah, like THAT would happen!), it's still disruptive, and it's important that the event flow as smoothly and elegantly as possible. The overall "vibe" will still suffer, even if only on a subconcious level. People will walk out going "Yeah, that was OK.", not "WOW! That was incredible!"

The only alternative is to setup a couple of hours in advance, as I normally would, and then find some place to hang out for a few hours until the meal is over and it's time to play. That's wasting a bunch of my time, which I consider valuable. Also, leaving the equipment there unattended is just begging for someone to decide to get some free dinner music by trying to plug their ipod into my system, or something similar. Not to mention it prevents me from mingling with the guests, getting a feel for the room, etc., which help me put on a better performance.

I usually tell the brides the same thing I just told you, and so far they've all understood the issues. In fact, a couple of them have even thanked me for pointing out how disruptive it would be for their guests to have me setting up during dinner.

IF the dancefloor was in a different room from the dining area, which I've seen at a couple of venues, I MIGHT consider it. But those types of venues are nightmares anyway.

By the way, I'm betting that the bride couldn't even rent the equipment for $350 from a sound company. That means you're giving her a discount on the equipment rental AND paying for the DJ out of YOUR pocket! Those same brides that "want a good dj but can't afford a full blown 4 hr reception at our regular fees" are the same brides that just spent $600 on invitations. Aren't you at least as important to the success of the reception as the invitations?
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 am

i will start another thread..."selling out or filling a need". i need more feedback on this because i am not totally sold on the idea.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 am

Joseph, i like you. i have seen your post here and on other boards. you seem pretty bright. i just wonder why you use the red background and not a color more soothing to a brides eyes. i always here warnings about using colors other than black on a webpage. to me the top of your page is way too busy. pls feel free to evaluate my site as well....
www.a2zmobilemusic.com
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Joseph Ivy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 pm

David, I actually agree with you. I don't like the background for the tables on my site. I've discussed changing the colors with over a dozen women. Each has told me to keep it the way it is.

I also agree that the top of my page is too busy. I recently attended the Wedding MBA conference in Phoenix. The guy from the Knot gave me a lot of clarity about my advertising. I'm going to be making some changes in my sites organization.

For your site, I have two recommendations. Make sure the text on each page doesn't go beyond the edges of your header. This is a particular problem with your home page.

Second, you are center aligning editorial paragraphs. I'd recommend left aligning and indenting each paragraph over 3 lines long.

Thanks for the feedback,

Joseph
Cfl
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:08 pm

davidjones@a2zmobilemusic wrote:...pls feel free to evaluate my site as well....
www.a2zmobilemusic.com

I would remove this part...
AND WE GUARANTEE YOU WILL DANCE!!!

If someone absolutely refuses to dance, they could claim the guarantee and demand their money back.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Previous

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales