New business name

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

New business name

Postby turnde » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:02 am

I am soliciting for new name ideas for my DJ business, before I register with the state and city as well as website URL etc. I am curently using the name I had for my car audio business a few years ago. However, "Solid Rock Audio" just doesn't feel right for a mobile DJ. Any ideas? Thanks
turnde

Re: New business name

Postby Joseph Ivy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 am

Solid Rock Entertainment.

FYI, solid rock screams christian to christians. If you are not a christian, then you may want to avoid using the term solid rock in your company name.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Re: New business name

Postby dokai » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:59 am

Joseph Ivy wrote:FYI, solid rock screams christian to christians. If you are not a christian, then you may want to avoid using the term solid rock in your company name.

Would never have thought of that. Good point!

I also like Solid Rock Entertainment. For a second suggestion, how about reversing it: Rock Solid Sound?

Of course, you could get away from the whole "rock" theme, but I figured if you mentioned it, you must want to keep part of it.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby turnde » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:28 am

Yeah, I am Christian, and I agree with you about the name screaming that fact. Obviously, I don't want to get stuck in one customer segment or lose out on any simply because of a name.

I suppose, I could have one business entity, and advertise as “dba Solid Rock Entertainment” to churches and Christian schools, and “dba New Company Name Here” for all other stuff.

Dokai
I really have no real preference for the name, it was simple in the beginning because of my previous business. But I figure now, "New business = new name"
turnde

Postby Joseph Ivy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:45 am

I don't think that non-christians will think that you are a christian because of the name and I don't think that the name will prevent you from getting events. However, it costs less than $20 to get a DBA here in Arizona so it might be a good idea to have separate entities anyway.

Also, you will be able to have two completely different website. One for Christians and one for the public at large. That will work out well for you when people want a Christian DJ for something. I advertise on Christian business sights, but I have never gotten any business from them.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby djdonny » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:12 pm

One piece of advice: Before you finalize a name, see if an appropriate matching domain name is available.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales