Well, I guess I'm no longer a "bottom-feeder"!

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Well, I guess I'm no longer a "bottom-feeder"!

Postby djdonny » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:13 pm

Here's a recent email from a visitor to my site who received an online price quote:

Please do not contact us again. Your prices are by far the highest of any company we have met with or gotten a quote from. Thank you for your time.

And my reply (too harsh?) ...

No problem. But you're right, price-shoppers aren't usually my clients -- that's why I no longer advertise in the Yellow Pages. Certainly, you'll be able to find less expensive options, especially from less experienced DJs. In fact, when I started out as a DJ over twelve years ago, my prices started at $250.

However, I'm surely not the most expensive either. According to the ADJA, the national average is $1200 for a 4-hour booking. And New York is always higher than the national average. My events' average price is a little below that, and I perform at about 50 events per year.

http://www.adja.org/general/djHiringTips.asp

Best of luck,

Donny

I know he didn't want me to contact him again, but I thought he might thank me in the end for that link to the ADJA hiring tips.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby SirWolfy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:26 am

Not for nuttin', but I am willing to bet that it is nobody special other than another DJ checking prices. It happens every year around this time a few "geniuses" think they are puling a fast one or sumpthing...lol

I certainly understand the desire to respond, but it would be better just to delete it and forget about it.
Charles E. Snyder III
Certified CPSDJ
River Valley Weddings
Author: So You Wanna Go Digital?

"I Am The ADJA"
SirWolfy

Re: Well, I guess I'm no longer a "bottom-feeder"!

Postby jwg » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:03 am

I've NEVER had a harsh response from a Bride and Groom like that. Usually, if they think my price is too high, they just never respond back to email or phone call. LOL.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:27 am

Even if you charge $200, someone will be shocked and tell you its way to high.

Ignore it and move on.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:54 pm

i actually had a lady call me after i emailed her a quote of $600 for a 3 hour wedding. (about in the middle for this area) she called after looking at my website and said "you do pool parties starting at $300 (3 hours) " why can't i have that price? i then explained the planning and preparation it takes for a dj to do a wedding reception right.

she said that she just wanted to see how i justified the $300 increase between the 2 functions. for a long time i have not listed any prices and i am thinking of going back to not doing so. all prices on the site state "starting from just $... " but maybe even that is a bad idea.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:03 pm

David Jones -

I kinda agree with that lady, and for a reason she may be thinking. To me it's a day I can't do any other events. Therefore, whether its a fancy wedding, or just barbeque/pool party, everbody gets the same rates. I'm a single operator. You're not gonna get a cheap rate on a date that I can sell to a wedding client.

On the other hand, if I was a multi-op, the answer would be equally simple: I'd send the less experienced guys out for the pool party.

Note that I DO offer discounts for events not on a Saturday. But that's something of a supply and demand thing.

If you want to retain the rate structure you have, then you should expand on your answer. Not only is a wedding more prep work, but it is more stressful, and you'd actually rather do the pool parties. Because if that wasn't true, i.e. you'd rather do the weddings, then you should charge everybody the wedding rates.

FYI: I don't do many pool parties, or much of ANY kind of low-key / low-stress party, and that's just fine by me.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:10 pm

David Jones -

What would you charge if someone said it was a poolside backyard wedding reception, and that there was not going to be any introductions, no cake cutting or garter or bouquet.Just one quick announcement as the Bride & Groom come out the back door, and the one first dance and THAT'S IT.

And people will be using the pool. In fact, at some point, the Bride & Groom will either jump in the pool, or be pushed into the pool. I actually did an event like that a few years back. (Can you say "Redneck wedding?")

So. Is that a wedding rate or pool party rate?
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:27 pm

the reason i do pool parties is because they kind of snowball. i always get 1-2 bookings from each event. it's easy for me. and normally they are over early. weddings are alot of planning and prep. and btw she date she wanted was a saturday in november which if she didn't want, someone else will. i will not lower my standards. you ask for what you are worth. that's why bootom feeders are cheap. they ask for what they are worth. that way when it goes wrong the customer only has themselves to blaim. they don't select the worst food or flowers for the money. when you go with a low end dj you get low performance.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:42 pm

"So. Is that a wedding rate or pool party rate?"

if she calls it a wedding reception,party, or anything in the like she will get a wedding quote. you bring a higher level of professionalism to a wedding of any sort. you know that. i guarantee someone will want to throw some tradition in it. certain events have certain rates.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dan Zynda, Mobile Music » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 pm

I show my professionalism at every performance.
Dan Zynda, Mobile Music

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Just last week I met with someone who scoffed at my prices. It was kinda funny because I already knew that they were going to hire me. The wife like me and the guy didn't look stupid enough to cross her on their rededication.

My pricing schedule was $200+$100 for each hour. Literally, 4 days before meeting with them I had changed my prices to $200 an hour. He told me that he though my prices were too high and I pointed out that almost all the other people in my disc jockey association charge considerably more AND that I had just raised my prices.

They paid my retainer for 3 hours and requested private dance lessons. I expect the husband to try and talk me into discounting extra hours. I am tempted to book extra hours at based on my current schedule.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby pjlowe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:35 pm

I had a similar experience with a women who just wanted the "basic package" off of my website. I said no problem done. then she adds "ok so when do we meet to discuss the introductions and how I want the day to run?" I told her that my basic party package does not include one on one meetings and you just use the planning form from DJI. "Oh but your wedding page said you meet with your brides and grooms? "Yes I do but then I would have to charge you my wedding rate which is double the rate of my basic party package. Time = money and mine time is worth money. She then decided to book me for the basic package and forgo the intro's,etc. Basic pricing for basic services. nuff said!
pjthedj
Entertainment that Exceeds your Expectations
pjlowe

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:19 am

I don't have a basic "I won't meet you" package. I think their is something inherently wrong with that.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that TIME is MONEY but I always wish to meet my client's if possible no matter what I charge. I, of course, have a high going rate for my basic package to cover these costs.

I think not meeting your clients (especially B&G's) because they paid less sets yourself up for all kinds of potential problems.

1) Higher risk of miscommunication thru phone or emails.

2) No personal interaction means your less likely to get a tip, if they never got a chance to meet you and get to know you a little, your chances of getting a tip are not nearly as good as if you had meet them previously for the planning.

3) Also, if you meet in person, your more effective at upselling your extra's and getting REFERRALS. Don't forget ReFeRrALs....

You want to gain your clients trust, this increases your odds of getting a tip, upsells, and referrals.

For me, I want to do everything possible to make the event/wedding a success, not meeting, raises the mistake factor.

I understand, this cannot always be the case, though. I live in a destination wedding area, many of my clients are from out of town. They come to Tahoe with all their family, just to get married in a beautiful place.

When its not possible to meet, I talk on the phone and/or thru email many many times to make sure everything is orgainzed.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby pjlowe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:11 am

I am sorry if you interpreted my basic package as a wedding package.
I have a seperate page for weddings and a seperate page for private partes. this woman wanted wedding reception services but only wanted to pay for my private party "basic service".

I meet with all of my B+G's at least three times. I meet with my private party clients too if they require planning assistance. In this instance, she was trying to get a lower rate for my wedding package - not going to happen. My basic party package is priced for those clients who just need music and very little planning assistnce. Most of the time after speaking with a client about their needs they choose a different and more exspensive package.

pj the dj
Entertainment that Exceeds your Expectations
pjlowe

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:05 pm

AH, that makes more sense. I understand now.

Some people always want the cheapest deal, but they will get mad just the same when things go wrong.

I remember some DJ here talking about renting a sound system with just an ipod, eeks, imagine dancing to automated random music.

But I am sure a few suckers would go for it and you can bet it would be a pretty uneventful wedding.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:12 pm

Back to the thread topic, that is unfortunate of someone to send you that email Donny.

Great way to reply, its hard not to get a little steamed from something like that. And that is what separates the pros from the rest.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby djdonny » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks, Sean.

These people think it's a crime to charge more than they can afford!
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales