Another Bridal Show question.....

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Another Bridal Show question.....

Postby djwak59 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi everybody,

First off, I'll get this off my chest....

I still don't have a website.

WHAT THE........??? :shock:

Yeah, yeah, I know, "this guy's stone age!"

The reason why is, I've been doing well with the Bridal Show circuit around my area and I must say, it's been pretty good to me.

However, in getting my taxes in order, I was amazed at how much I spent on them last year. They DID produce, and I HAVE made $$ through the shows, I did a pretty good year last year for a single-op guy, but it's this cost of show, to cash coming back to me, that's got me thinking not to do as many, or possibly none at all.

Looking over the figures, I could probably get a good site done up for me for half, or even a quarter of what the Show circuit cost me. What REALLY pushed me over the edge was, at the last show I did, I seen other, lesser known,"newbies", who had sites. Needless to say, it was a real wake up call! I'm now in talks with a local web designer who has done sites for some other DJs. So, that's cool.

Now....over the last 2 years, I've developed a good relationship with the show promoters and they've given my business a great shot in the arm, so, I kinda have a problem with letting them know I'm not going to do all their shows next year.

So, I'm interested in ANY thoughts or advice you guys could give me on this post. And, please be easy on me when ya ream me for not being up with the program! :wink:

Thanks for reading. See ya.
djwak59

Re: Another Bridal Show question.....

Postby jbrown157 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:48 pm

I think CJ could probably help you with that! :wink:
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:05 pm

hey don't worry it took me a few years to be reaping the benefits of high search engine placement.

I don't need no steenken' bridal fairs! :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Another Bridal Show question.....

Postby DJCelebrations » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm

i ran into a situation where i booked a bride in march 2003 for her august 2004 wedding.......in september 2003 she got a new job as.....the head promoter for the area's biggest bridal show every January..........she talked me into getting a booth when she first started that September to boost her rep as the newbie on the job........after that January 2004 bridal show i was so fed up with how the show was being coordinated (ex: i was promised before signing up that there would be a limit on the number of DJ's allowed to get booths.That number was 12.........the day of the bridal show I counted 28!!!!).........anyways, here's how I got out of future shows, not wanting to upset a current bride.........almost every bridal show is on a weekend........after her wedding in august 2004, she called again about a booth.......I simply told her I was booked for an out of town wedding, and could not attend.......when she called again a year later in September 2005 I told her the truth.......Most of my 2006 was completely booked up and I did not have availability, and that if any smaller shows came up with a guarantee in writing that no more than 10 DJ's participating to let me know,(which will never happen: show promoters will do anything to fill every booth space, regardless of the type of vendor) ..........and while we keep in touch from time to time, I'm never asked to do bridal shows anymore.........
» Christopher DeGray
Celebrations Entertainment
DJCelebrations

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

I just started my company in January of 2006. I have spoke with a dozen DJs about wedding shows and I really don't think that wedding shows will be my thing for DJing.

On the other hand, I also teach ballroom dancing for a small charge. I don't remember ever seeing a ballroom dancing booth at a wedding show. I stopped by a wedding show when I was engaged and had a crowd of around 30 stop at my friends booth when I stopped to dance with her. I was considering doing a wedding show with some exhibition dances and 15 minute $10 lessons.

Right now, I am getting plenty of exposure through my website. I'm not a big internet geek, but I am a computer geek. Over the past 8 months I have managed to climb to the first page in dozens of search engines for my main key words "Phoenix DJ." Any of you can do that too... though you may have to pay someone to do it for you.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales