DJ Management Software: Feature Comparison

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

DJ Management Software: Feature Comparison

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:44 pm

Over the years, I've grown accustomed to GigBuilder by WeDJ and everything that it can do (and the things it can't do.)

I also know of several other DJ Management software packages including DJ Manager, DJIntelligence, etc.

Everyone has their favorite. For some, it's the price -- and for others it's the features.

A new one that isn't DJ-specific was brought to my attention... so for JWG:

jwg wrote:I now use the software program Act! for my DJ business along with other DJs I network with. I then created templates for the contract in Act and when a potential client contacts me, I can drop their info right into the contract without having them fill it in themselves.

Therefore, all I have is my templates, but I'm sure you'll get good examples from the rest of the participants here.

John,

I'm sure you're aware of some of the other DJ Management programs available -- why did you and your network DJ associates go with the Sage ACT! program? :?:

Thanks,
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: DJ Management Software: Feature Comparison

Postby jwg » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:25 pm

CJ:

I should probably, at first, clarify how I use Act! and what it replaced for me.
I had used DJWebmin almost from the start of it's existence. It worked very well for me and does for a single-op. As I began networking with fellow DJs and wanted to check their availability if I was already booked:

1) None of them had DJI or DJ Webmin
2) I would have had to sign them up as Multi-users on my account which meant they would have to input all their info and we would end up seeing everyone's client information too. All I needed was their date availability.

With ACT! (Best to use 6.0 for email synchonization) once I setup my clients as contacts, inputed information for their event etc, I was able to synchronize via email with 1 DJ so far so we have awareness of each other's booked dates. What information you share with other users is pre-determined by you when you are setting up your synchronizations.

I still utilize, and always will, DJ Intelligence for planning forms, Music Database, Credit Card acceptance and a host of other tools.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:30 pm

I see. It sounds like if you had that ability in DJWebmin/DJIntelligence, then you wouldn't need ACT!
(or if ACT! provided those online services, then you wouldn't need DJWebmin).

I know there's an online version of ACT! -- are you using that, or the one that runs on your own computer?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jwg » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:37 pm

The local DJ that has used the program himself (not only for his DJ business but what he does at his regualr job) for over 10 years told me to get version 6.0. Anything newer than that version eliminates the email synchronization
and moves to server hosting. In other words, someone would have to host everyone's databases.

I have the program setup on my computer and have created contract templates, email templates and letter templates. I print their contract with their info dropped in to a .pdf file and then attach it with their personalized email to them from me. Again, this is all using version 6.0 of Act.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby dokai » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Sounds to me that the main feature that's being provided by Act! is the group calendar function. Aren't there web-based group calendars available? I think Hotmail and Yahoo both provide something that might work. Not sure if they support synchronization with Outlook, Palm, etc., for PDA users, but I think at least one of them does.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby jwg » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:27 pm

It's much more than a calendar. It's a way to track your customers, personalize their documents, link with other Act users...virtually run your business. And, it works well with Quickbooks or Quicken too.

There is a learning curve to Act, but I figured things out in a few weeks after spending time with the program and getting used to it.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby dokai » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:28 am

jwg wrote:It's much more than a calendar. It's a way to track your customers, personalize their documents, link with other Act users...virtually run your business. And, it works well with Quickbooks or Quicken too.

There is a learning curve to Act, but I figured things out in a few weeks after spending time with the program and getting used to it.

*nods* Yes, I'm familiar with Act! It's particularly good for people that work in sales, from what I've seen. I know several people that swear by it, and I can see why. And certainly if you have Act!, and so do all the people with whom you want to network, then it's a great tool for the job. However, unless you can get everyone to agree to use it, it seems like its usefulness would be limited. That "learning curve" you mention can seem like "just one more thing I have to worry about" to someone less enthusiastic.

That's why I was looking at more common ways of emulating the features. Group calendars hosted on the internet, templates created in word processors, etc. Not nearly as elegant as Act!, but since most everyone can get to a website's group calendar, it might be easier to convince people to come aboard if they don't have to purchase and learn a new software tool.

There's a lot to be said for having an easy interface with your accounting software, though! :wink:

EDIT: One other thing that I didn't mention that certainly deserves it is the fact that a lot of the "process" work has been done for you in Act! You could probably accomplish the same thing using individual parts of other programs (templates from Word, Group Calendars from a website, etc.), but the business processes would have to be developed by you, and you'd have to implement procedures to comply with those processes. With Act!, it's already built in.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby jbrown157 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:00 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Gigbuilder has the capability to do that. I know you can input your "employees" (or subcontractors) schedule so that the system is able to list a particular day as either "available", "Might be available" or "booked". I've been looking into utilizing that feature so that I can partner up with a friend from across town to book some of my overflow for him. To this point, I've only used it for my own schedule, but the time is coming for me to try to expand it's use. Has anyone else tried to do this? We love Gigbuilder. I'm not sure what we'd do without it.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:21 pm

I don't think you can link with other DJ's Gigbuilders to see when they're available.

You can only see the availability of your own employees.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jwg » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Unless Gigbuilder has multi-user capability. I, personally, haven't used Gigbuilder in over 2 years. I took it for a brief run but was very content to continue using DJ Intelligence. I've been on board with them for 4 years.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:43 pm

3 years with DJI and it literally has changed our business. brides and customers love the forms and request list etc. I would pay more if they asked... but 99 dollars is a steal!!!!!!! 8)
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby unlimitedsounds » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 am

In order to do this right, you need to have both DJI and DJW. . DJI is for the client side and DJW is your calendar, accounting, etc..
unlimitedsounds

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:05 pm

DJI is $99/year.

How much for DJW?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby unlimitedsounds » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:18 pm

http://www.djwebmin.com/about.asp

I see people mention they only use DJI but without DJW you dont have any of this:

Expanded accounting system for tracking payments
Add-Ons for detailing your events
Equipment Assignment for tracking availability
Many reports to track your business
ETC ETC ETC

DJI Features http://www.djintelligence.com/pages/features.asp

You could use GIGBUILDER from WEDJ which I also have access to since I am a paying wedj member but I feel DJW and DJI is easier to manage, the layout is better and you can get custom client forms etc from outsidethebox.biz. there are some other things I like about DJW and DJI that are better then gigbuilder BUT there are some things in gigbuilder I wish were in DJW and DJI .....
unlimitedsounds

Postby Doug Fairbanks » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Take a look at DJ Event Planner

http://www.djeventplanner.com/

It can take the place of BOTH DJI & Djwebmin.

It has been designed essentially by the users and will work with single op or multi. Developer VERY receptive to adding new features to help our businesses.

Biggest PLUS is it's design in the 3+years I have been using it has been rock solid with NO MAJOR OUTAGES or loss of data.

Your data is with a single company on a single server, not passed back and forth as with other apps mentioned.

It is a hard coded application, not a template front end that runs on top of another application, meaning greater speed and stability.

It will work with any W3C compliant browser(even EI) and on any OS that supports such a browser.

Customer support excellent, peer support is excellent.
There is DJEP forum where you can swap ideas, swap document and form templates, get help, etc... This community, while members are busy, is VERY supportive and helpful with new members.

Small learning curve, but very intuitive. You can generate year end reports that can be used with tax prep, no Quick Books needed!

I can't say enough, I have been EXTREMELY pleased with this app and its developer. You need to at least take a test drive, and ask your questions.
Doug Fairbanks - Indianapolis, IN
Doug Fairbanks

Postby djsarge » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:21 am

Now if there was just a system that could be used both online and off.
djsarge

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:05 pm

djsarge wrote:Now if there was just a system that could be used both online and off.

Ahhh... but there is. But you knew that, right? :?: :lol:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales