Contracts

Advertising, promotion and financial management for your Pro Mobile DJ Business.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Contracts

Postby Lynchy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:15 am

How do they read? What do they say?

Let's see em! Suggestions?
Lynchy

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:46 am

Laws are different from state to state.

You're best off finding a lawyer that has experience with entertainment contracts and have him draw one up from scratch.

If you insist, look at other DJ contract just for ideas of the types of clauses you might want to ask your lawyer to include, or explain why it should not be included.

Having said that, here's my contract.
Attachments
DJ Teddy Bear Contract.pdf
(236.29 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Lynchy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Very nice looking contract.

I was just wondering what type of clauses others have in theirs besides the baics.

Thanks
Lynchy

Re: Contracts

Postby djdonny » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:37 pm

If you want more than basic, here's mine :roll:
Attachments
VoidedContract.pdf
(44.78 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jwg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:42 pm

I now use the software program Act! for my DJ business along with other DJ's I network with. I then created templates for the contract in Act and when a potential client contacts me, I can drop their info right into the contract without having them fill it in themselves.

Therefore, all I have is my templates, but I'm sure you'll get good examples from the rest of the participants here.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby jonnyrockcom » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:58 am

Here is a copy of our agreement.
Attachments
AAA CONTRACT Premier Package.doc
(35 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
» Jon Garner
Sounds Fun Entertainment
jonnyrockcom

Postby Lynchy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:22 pm

Haven't seen it yet on here but I have seen it in the past ... a clause that states "# Full meals will be supplied to the DJ and his assistant(s). These are to be served in a seperate room, away from guests". I don't think I have ever been to a reception where they didn't at least offer to feed me (how much chickencordon blu can one guy eat in a lifetime?).

I do like to $10 per step fee in johnnyrockcom ... never thought of that before ... but as I get older ....hmmmm 7 and a half steps and I've got my helper paid LOL
Lynchy

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:46 pm

jwg wrote:I now use the software program Act! for my DJ business along with other DJs I network with. I then created templates for the contract in Act and when a potential client contacts me, I can drop their info right into the contract without having them fill it in themselves.

Therefore, all I have is my templates, but I'm sure you'll get good examples from the rest of the participants here.

Hi John,

I've got a question about the ACT! program... but I'll start a separate discussion thread for it:
>> DJ Management Software: Feature Comparison
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jonnyrockcom » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Lynchy,
We do a lot of reception in rental homes and they want the DJ it setup in the balance. It's amazing how quick they can make floor space on the main level when you mention the stair charge. It does take long to carry your gear up stairs compare to just rolling everything in on Rock'n'rockers. Someone needs to pay for the extra time.
» Jon Garner
Sounds Fun Entertainment
jonnyrockcom

Postby djdonny » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:07 pm

I do like to $10 per step fee

I'm sorry, but it seems like really nickel-and-diming to me. If you want, change an extra $50 for jobs not on the main level, or something like that. I wouldn't, but at least it's better than a per-step charge. You wouldn't charge per minute overtime, would you?

As for meals served, I never require it. I consider it my responsibility to eat beforehand. Otherwise, I go to the diner after (the 2am waitresses all know me). Sometimes I'll just ask the wait staff for a bread roll when I'm too hungry, plus some water or soda. But they usually serve us food anyway. Usually, they serve us and I don't even take the time to eat! That's why I'm at the diner so often.

But I don't see any problem with putting that into your contract. It's fair to ask for full meals.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jonnyrockcom » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:48 am

What happens when you go to a event that has an elevator and it isn't working that day. Now you have to move your gear up to the third floor? Most of the halls in our area we know, but every once in a while we end up at a new venue. Customer says theres no steps, but the venue doesn't tell the clinet the entertainment has to use the loading dock, which is design for big trucks not mini vans. Just covering out backside, I believe we have only charge a step fee 3 times in the last 12 years. We have found that what a customer thinks is a couple of steps, turns out to be 36 steps. The biggest thing for us is the extra time.

On overtime due charge by the minute, most block it in 30 minutes or 60. Now when in a nightclub/bar, I have charge be the minute, they past the hat it comes up with $33, they get 33 minutes.
» Jon Garner
Sounds Fun Entertainment
jonnyrockcom

Postby djdonny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:38 am

What happens when you go to a event that has an elevator and it isn't working that day. Now you have to move your gear up to the third floor?

I do have elevator access required in my contract when more than one story of stairs needs to ascended/descended (such as the third floor example). If it's the third floor, and the elevator is clearly out temporarily, I'd probably bust my tail to get it up the stairs and not fault the client. But, I work in and around Manhattan. If the event's on the 42nd floor and there's no elevator, there's no DJ, and my contract covers me.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby MusicDoctorDJ » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:49 am

I prefer the simple approach instead of a three-page clausefest of fineprint and legalese!

Here's mine: http://musicdoctordj.com/MDDJMCinvNA.PDF

And yes . . . it was written by a contract lawyer.
John M. Daniels
Music Doctor DJ & Photo
Thornton, Colorado

MusicDoctorDJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby DJCelebrations » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:58 pm

here's a sample copy of my contract..........bulletproof.........written, designed, reviewed, and approved by 3 seperate lawyers..........I have had to take clients to court 5 times in the past 10 years regarding non-payment...........in 4 of the cases, the judge started by looking over the copy of the contract i brought, then simply stated "ruling in favor of the plaintiff" before the defendants ever got to speak, each time the "case" lasted less than 5 minutes before ruling..........the 5th one I also won as well.........
Attachments
sample_contract1.doc
sample contract
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 501 times
» Christopher DeGray
Celebrations Entertainment
DJCelebrations

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Lynchy, my advice is to keep your contract short and to the point. My contract is one page long and I almost never have any questions about it. If you put too many clauses or too much text then people will become suspicious. The last thing you need if for people to start treating you like a car salesman.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

could you send me a copy of the act template?

Postby mobiledjgeorgia » Sat May 26, 2007 8:09 pm

jwg
Hi

I was reading in djgold and come across your post that you used a contract in act. If you could send me the file so I can see how you have it if you would.

a31510@gmail.com
» Gary Wines
Mobile DJ Georgia
mobiledjgeorgia

Return to DJ Business Management, Marketing & Sales