Upselling!

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Upselling!

Postby Professor Jam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:58 pm

Lets see if we can have a conversation without someone saying I've been a computer DJ since 1900 or I use XYZ software to DJ With....

How many of you up-sell your CPS system?

I upsell my system on average $150 - $250 per-event - What are you doing that enables you to up-sell clients?

Let's see where this goes.
Professor Jam

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:22 pm

What's a CPS System?

I went to your site, saw the link that 'explains' it, but am still unsure.

Certification sounds great, unless the certifying body is an unknown organization. What does it really mean?

I have the following in my FAQ about certification:
Are you certified?

No. There is no certification available for DJs in New Jersey.

New Jersey requires that DJ companies that hire people to send out to perform at an event, need to be certified as an employer. However, it is just the DJ company sending the people out that require certification - as an employer, not as a 'certified' entertainment company.

DJs working for those DJ companies, and independents such as myself, are not required to get any certification.

To get back to the topic, I currently do not agressivly upsell any of my options, but I do sell them when there is justifiable interest.

I recently booked a wedding at my normal full price of $750, and got an upsell of $100 for the ceremony. The ceremony is going to be outdoors next to the reception room. The cocktail hour will be done by the house system. I spent about equal time selling the ceremony as I did suggesting they not purchase my cocktail hour system. They knew the need for the ceremony, and I knew thier budget problems so I backed away from the cocktail hour.

I am currently tweaking the capability of recording & playback of toasts & ceremony. As such, I currently do it free, and actually, as a surprise. Soon I will be offering it as an upsell.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Upselling!

Postby jwg » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:35 pm

CPS = Computer Programmed System?
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Professor Jam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:47 pm

C.P.S.D.J. Com-put-er-ized Per-form-ance Sys-tem Disc Jock-ey, (n) 1:an entertainer that utilizes a personal computer based system, that can be programmed to manipulate audio, symbols, perform complex and repetitive mixing procedures quickly, precisely and reliably, able to quickly store and retrieve large amounts of data during remote or live performances 2: entertains at events with pre-recorded or live music. Utilizes music programming skills, emceeing ability, combining a mixture of hardware and software combinations.
Professor Jam

Postby Professor Jam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:51 pm

Teddy, John,

I hope that answers your question on CPS....

Where did you read that on this site: http://www.computerdjsummit.com ?
Professor Jam

Postby Professor Jam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:56 pm

Teddy,

I am currently tweaking the capability of recording & playback of toasts & ceremony. As such, I currently do it free, and actually, as a surprise. Soon I will be offering it as an upsell.

I've also done this for sometime - its part of my wedding ceremony and I do drops during the reception.... What are you recording with?
Professor Jam

Postby Professor Jam » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:11 pm

Op's,

I forgot..... Teddy I'm not one for associating myself with a certifying body that is an unknown organization. I'm on a few elite groups that should not be considered "unknowns" :wink:

Click this link: http://www.denondj.com/certdj.asp - I tested and did a live performance to qualify for this program.... I don't think anyone would call it a program from an unknown group...... :wink:

Trade certification is very common in many industries and of course - If the group sanctioning the program is self-serving the value is limited....

Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Channel..... :D

--side bar---- If you mix via a computer - its not a standard home computer - Its a CPS - The logo in the avatar can be used by any CPS DJ
Professor Jam

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:10 am

I don't up-sell the CPS system itself. Instead, I up-sell some of the capabilities that it gives me over a conventional vinyl or CD system.

It allows me to mix and show music-videos photo montages.
For video-equipped venues, I up-sell these services for $150.
For non-video-equipped venues where I have to bring a projector and screen, I up-sell theses services for $400.

Since there's a video-equipped venue right in my hometown, I do quite a bit of the photo montage $150 up-sells.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Professor Jam » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:17 am

CJ,

I deleted this thread on another forum because individuals just could not grasp this idea...

You have thought out-side the box and actually see this as a value not a freebee... I actually do something different that I charge for as well... I'm fishing the forums to see if anyone else is doing the same without giving it away lol..
Professor Jam

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:24 am

There are other things that are possible too.

In addition to the pre-prepared photo-montage, you can take digital photos during the performance, transfer them to the computer and then display them on the screen -- how cool is that?!?!?

AND: If you bring a printer, you can print those photos and create a keepsake for the client before they leave for the night. You could even present it to them prior to their last dance -- wow! And one for the MOB, etc...
It doesn't take the place of the professional photographer, but it gives them something to look at and share for the next week until the client gets the proofs back from their pro photos.

If you have the time, you could also make audio interviews of the guests and burn them to a disc as another kind of keepsake for the client -- memories that will last forever!

More ideas for up-sells? 8)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:12 am

I still don't get what the CPS is, or how to use it as an upsell.

CJ apparently uses/upsells features of it. That's all well and good, but is the CPS necessary to do that?

Jam, to answer your question, I'm a CD DJ. I bring my 7 year old Mac to gigs primarily as an index for my 12,000 songs. I also use it to record the toasts. I use SpinDoctor as the input program and Bias Peak as the editor. The next time I do this, I will also bring a burner. I'll put on a keepsake CD, the unedited toast, and the edited version mixed with the song I'm playing it over.

The real test will come in May when I do my first recorded ceremony. I plan on taking pieces of that, and the toast, and playing them over a song.

CJ -
The idea of the interviews is OK, if there isn't a video guy already doing that...

FYI: I plan on going fully digital in September. I'm going to spend a bunch of time analyzing whatever is on the expo floor in Atlantic City.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Professor Jam » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:41 am

I still don't get what the CPS is, or how to use it as an upsell.

Teddy...

Will talk about it again after September.... :)
Professor Jam

Postby James Kane » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:50 am

I do not upcharge for the computerized playback system, it is like all things except lighting included in my base package charges. It is a tool that allows the performance that I wish my clients to experience.

Honestly if I allowed some of them to save a few bucks to use a dual CD deck instead, I'd probably be lost. Wading through 1,800 CDs at an event to find a special request doesn't sound fun as I simply don't remember which compilation a particular song is on any more.

Therefore I do not give them the option and have built the higher expense of being digitgal (both time and money) into my pricing teirs.
James Kane

Postby JR » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:35 am

I'm curious. For those who are 100% "Computer Controlled", "Digital", or "CPS" (what ever name you choose), what do you have to offer if the client sees no added value in this form of presentation? Do you offer CDs and associated players for a lesser price? In order to offer something of greater value, shouldn't you have something of lesser value available to up-sell from? It seems academic to me that once you go to this form of production, that's it. What is there to up-sell? Hasn’t this method now become your main means by which to operate?

It’s just my impression that once you implement the use this mode of operation, you would charge accordingly for the added value and leave it at that. Of course, the value may require explanation, but IMO I wouldn't consider that an up-sell.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:49 pm

Guys -

I *believe* Jam is asking if we upsell a status of being certified.

Which brings me to this post that I missed earlier.
Professor Jam wrote:Teddy I'm not one for associating myself with a certifying body that is an unknown organization. I'm on a few elite groups that should not be considered "unknowns"

Click this link: http://www.denondj.com/certdj.asp - I tested and did a live performance to qualify for this program.... I don't think anyone would call it a program from an unknown group......
I think you proved my point.

Denon is very well known to us. But how many clients know the Denon name or be impressed by a certificate from them? Would a client respect the value of certification from a company that is also selling products to those people it certifies? The argument could easily be made that certification is given away with purchase of the high-end products. After all, if you're buying the expensive / complicated stuff, you gotta be able to use it...

Don't get me wrong. I thing that it's cool that you're certified.

And you can certainly use it as a selling point. But an up-sell? No way.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Professor Jam » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:25 pm

I quit.... NO-NO-No-No-No-NO....

I'm calling you Teddy on the phone to explain what I'm saying because you brought up the certification not me and it's not what I'm talking about at all....
Professor Jam

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I just spent a wonderful 18 minutes on the phone with Jam.

We cleared up this whole mess.

He totally worded his initial post wrong, and I totally got wrapped up in one of the wrong parts.

Part of the problem is this graphic from his own site:

Wouldn't you think that CPS refers to certifying a DJ? What it really is, is a new type of equipment certification that is being developed. It is an effort to differentiate a DJ using pro audio computer equipment from a DJ wannabe that think he can be a DJ with standard computer equipment....and that the DJ is using CPS certified equipment.

What has that got to do with what Jam is asking us? NOTHING!

What Jam REALLY wants to know is this:

Does anybody that brings a computer to a gig, whether it's to DJ with, or as in my case, just as a database index of the CD library, use the computer for anything else at the same time? And if the answer is yes, is that something else an upsell item?

CJ's example of taking digital photos, downloading them to the computer, and then throwing a slide show thru his video system, is a perfect example....if he's also upselling it.
Last edited by Dave Miller on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Professor Jam » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Thats it and thank God for MA Bell....

:D Great speaking with you and say hello to the wife....
Professor Jam

Postby JR » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 pm

Hey Professor, I got your phone message. After reading Teddy Bear's last post concerning his conversation with you, I understand what you're asking now (i.e. what additional features do you offer utilizing the capabilities of your system for which you can justify increasing your fee) . I just wasn't reading it that way in the original post. My apologies sir.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Michigan DJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:46 am

We are going to be offering an upsell package we are calling "Instant Memories"

Basically we will use our digital camera and a dedicated photo printer to take pics throughout the evening and put together a photo album for the bride and groom.

Also considered giving pics to other guests of certain events (First dance, etc) but that would be an upsell of the upsell. :?

Thinking of placing the album online for the other guests at the wedding to view at their leisure as well!

What is CPS Certified equipment? I have a lpatop and a dedicated soundcard...what else is necessary?
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Next

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting