Peavey Digital Audio Interface

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Peavey Digital Audio Interface

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:00 am

Teddy, a computer is a mere tool. if this tool is properly configured, it is capable of much more than one task at a time.

I don't have video as yet, but am working slowly in that direction. With todays fast computers, the audio software is little to no strain on the system at all. It would be a complete waste to sit on it's potential thinking that that is all it should do. The secret is to know your system well enough to know it's limitations.

I run a 2.8mhz P4 with 800FSB, 1 m cache and 1 G ram. it's a pretty speedy system. to think I should use it strictly to run one app that requires no more than a 300mhz P2 is a complete waste of machine. I want speed, I want results, and I want them now! After all, that is how this generation thinks. I'm just keeping with the times. I run DJ software, Lighting control, and a few other "control" apps along side. I even run an apache server on my main rig, to allow guests at a remote laptop to search my system through a remote access control server. Know what will make it hiccup, and what wont. That knowlege is power! 8)

Don't be scared of your system, take control of it!

This reminds me of a networking meeting we had in Des Moines in November '04. I was asked by Bret Agard if I would present my system. Several were presenting themselves. They all primarily presented for the software they prefered. The meeting was to assist those on the fence into making a decision on movement to becoming Digital. I was last up, and instead of presenting for OtsDJ, I went for a different approach, and presented for the problems computers were designed to help us overcome, and how to make the computer a serious tool to assist in our performances. I presented possabilities!

One of these "Possabilities" actually covered a members question over karaoke. They were looking for a way to present their music listing to interested singers. I offered that the potential was there to use an RAC server system similar to the one I use for audio, allowing users to search the media on a remote laptop in the back of the room connected wireless to the main system running a server, and personalized requests could be entered and stored from this remote. This would not only allow people to sign up to sing, with additional comments if necessary, but it would allow them to do it without becoming the center of attention, distracting from the singers, as it was from the back of the room. The information would be available to the KJ on the main system imediately, to use as he saw fit.

My question is, Why are we holding back? They are much more capable than we allow them to be, but as I said earlier, Know them, and what their limitations are. And don't be confined by the limitations of any one particular software either. There may very well be a work around to over ride it. :D

It really doesn't matter what software you use, as long as it is solid and reliable, but what can you do with it? Where can you take it? what is the next level? How can you get it so that it will make you shine?
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Professor Jam » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:20 am

Hey Jeff!!!!

Whats up dude!

I've been trying to reach you..... Do me a favor and send me an email so I can touch base with you on a private matter...

Teddy, a computer is a mere tool. if this tool is properly configured, it is capable of much more than one task at a time.

Very true.......

Peace!
Professor Jam

Postby Dave Miller » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:10 am

Hmmm.....

Points well made, and well taken.

I guess I am hanging on to 5 year old warnings.

I'm still not digital, but, based on your posts, sounds like the plan goes something like this:

The first step is to go digital and hope the system doesn't crash during a gig.
The fear of a system crash during a gig will eventually fade.
Start using the system for other stuff at the same time - but during dinner.
Still no problems? OK, use the computer for other stuff at other times during the gig as well.

The only question than would be "Know the limitations"... How do you know when you hit the limit? When the system crashes during a gig? Yikes!
Last edited by Dave Miller on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am

Well, not exactly....

My recommendation would be to practice, practice , practice! But not live until you are completely comfortable with the results.

Do you really want to flub up a live gig? Never practice live, but do perform live with confidence. 8)

I like to practice my introductions and announcements I know I'll be making ahead of time so that I am confident they will come out right live. There is little that I have to freestyle. When I get nervous, usually when I need to freestyle, I start talking too fast, and stuttering. People can hardly understand me at that point. Not a good image to convey.

Jam, sent you a PM with Email in it. Looking forward to communicating with you.
Last edited by Jumpin' Jeff on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Dave Miller » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:25 am

Oh, yeah. Practice.
Use it to it's full potential at home.
Duh! Why didn't I think of that?
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djreggiereg » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:22 am

www.PSSL.com is the only one in town selling the PVDAI for $99 bucks. Check it out.
djreggiereg

Postby MMM » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:49 pm

Does anyone know what the LINE IN (L & R) port is used for on this device? I tried connecting a CD player to the ports however I can not get the CD player audio signal out the LINE OUT ports. Am I using the port correctly? I connect a mic to the MIC IN and hear my voice through the LINE OUT. Why cant I hear the LINE IN signal through using the LINE OUT? How can I hear the external device connected to the LINE IN?

Your help is appreciated.
MMM

Postby CJ Greiner » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi MMM,

I've attached the user manual as a reference... sadly, it doesn't show anything that might answer your question.

The answer is, that the PVDAI is a very simple interface, with a simple USB sound card installed.

Most of your current interfaces will actually process the microphone through the computer so that you can add additional functionality such as auto-talk-over, echo, etc.

This interface simply takes the microphone input, adds/mixes it with the audio FROM the computer and puts it directly out through the main/monitor output connectors.

Separately, it provides the LINE IN functionality for you to plug in audio devices that can then be used via your computer... but are NOT directly routed to the output, not even through the PVDJ software. You'd have to process that audio through some other program and then route the output of that program to the PVDAI sound card output.

While I suspect that future updates to the software may have added additional functionality to use the audio inputs the way you want... it was never implemented, and Peavey no longer supports the product.
Attachments
PVDJ_DAI_manual.pdf
User manual for the Peavey DJ Digital Audio Interface. PVDAI. PVDJ DAI.
(649.47 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby MMM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you know of a Windows or other program to process the audio from the LINE IN and that will then route the output to the PVDAI sound card output?

Thanks again.
MMM

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:20 pm

There are multiple applications that would do something like that... except that they'd probably send it to some other audio output.

I suspect that the Peavey Windows application is controlling all output to the USB sound card (I don't know for sure). You might end up having to use a different output from the computer into a separate "in" on your mixer (which would be the microphone jack on this device, and that would defeat this whole attempt...)

There are settings in Vista (and maybe XP?) that you can use to take input and hear it Live on the selected audio output... I don't have those details, and I'm not sure if it can be done with this device.

By the way, there's a brand new one on sale here for US $249.99:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0405726631

Most other retail pricing still shows this unit in the $800 to $900 range.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting