Tag issues when switching from PCDJ VRM

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Tag issues when switching from PCDJ VRM

Postby jbrown157 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:49 am

Hi Gang. I've been using PCDJ Red VRM for the past 5-6 years (without a problem) and am now looking to update. I have learned that the tags that I have worked so dilligently on in PCDJ since my digital library's inception, will not work with the newer software (such as PCDJ DEX, VDJ, etc.) which requires a significant renovation of the library (about 25,000 tracks). Surprizingly, there is very little information about this issue on the PCDJ forum. I know this has been a problem for many VRM users faced with "propriatary" tags.

I have been concentrating on fixing file names (removing illegal characters, etc) but am wondering whether the other fields (title, artist, genre) also need to be changed (is an apostophe in an artist field going to cause a problem with the DJ software?). I have been using Mp3tag to make the changes and am wondering just how extensive I need to be. Any thoughts?

Going to try both VDJ and DEX to see what I like best once I get these tags fixed. Your opinions on that are welcomed too!
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting