Another Update on going digital & HUGE FIND!

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Another Update on going digital & HUGE FIND!

Postby mickey j » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi All,
Did first two gigs w/ laptop. Everything went fine. PCDJ Red mobile worked beautifully.
Two things I discovered:
1. Do NOT try to connect to a wireless hotspot while playing a song, caused song to skip/delay for a second, but then song continued to play, so wasn't a huge problem.
2. HUGE FIND! this will take a little explanation. I have spent countless hours converting music, which included re-writing the tags for many songs I converted earlier, before I learned more about how songs are "tagged". For example, the file name of a song did not necessarily match the "tag" Thus, I had to right click on the song, click properties/advanced and then hand type the song title, album, genre, year etc. I did this already for 100s, possibly thousands of songs. Anyway, I then go to first gig, pull up my song lists with PCDJ Red Mobile and discover many songs had a number in the genre field instead of the genre i tagged them with. Wow was I Pi$$ed! All that time and typing for nothing! I checked the folder where the music was stored, hjovered over a song, and there it was "genre: oldies" (for example). Went back into PCDJ, same song, "genre: (11)" (for example). Now I'm puzzled.

So, after a lucky find in a forum, I found out that I tagged my songs with a "ID3v2.3" tag BUT they may also have had a ID3v.1 tag imbedded that was not visible to me. More research . . . found out that PCDJ defaulted to the older type tag even though it technically was not supposed to.

In sum, many songs had 2 tags, only one was visible to me, PCDJ was reading the older tag that was not visible to me, thus, under genre, a number appeared instead of what I spent hours typing.

Yikes, what to do!
Another lucky find in a forum. Free software! I installed it, it showed every song that had both types of tags, allowed me to sort that column, select all the songs at once with both tags delete the ID3v.1 tags, ALL 2500 of them!!!!!!!! It also lets me do a whole bunch more, like select a group of songs and give them all the same genre, instead of what I was doing= one at a time.

Anyway, this is a GREAT program for organizing and labeling/tagging your files, just be careful and make sure you know what you are doing or you will end up deleting all tags/info. If anyone has questions, let me know, I'd be happy to walk you through a few of the most useful features I have found and show you how to add and remove only the data you want to. (you need to change some default settings or you will lose all tag data, again, BE CAREFUL, test it on ONE song, till you figure it out, then move on to groups).

Are you ready. type "MP3TAG.de" into your search engine and follow links to download. Enjoy!
Mickey J
mickey j

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting