Audio Interface question? for gigaport users

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Audio Interface question? for gigaport users

Postby mickey j » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi,
I am slowly but surely putting together my digital system and want to route my audio from my pc software program (PCDJ for example) to my mixer and mix with the mixer. With gigaport I could plug into 2 (or more) rca channels on my mixer. So here's my question. Lets say I have two virtual cd players staring at me from my laptop screen with a song loaded in each. How do I route one player to a specific rca output on the gigiaport and the other to a different rca output on the gigaoport??? My goal is to be able to cue up one song on my "real" mixer while playing another, basically the way I have always done it except now my CD players are a software program and my music is mp3's.
Is this how you guys/ladies use the gigaport with your system? or am I missing something? I also assume I will still be using the headphones on my real mixer. Thanks for clarifying this for me. Again my main concern is how to route each vitual player to a seperate output?
Mickey J
mickey j

Postby dokai » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:02 pm

The Gigaport will enable four channels as soon as you set it up in your PCDJ configuration page. You don't have to tell it which player goes to which channels - it takes care of it. If you look at the Gigaport you can see which four channels light up. Choose "external sound card, external mixer", or whatever it is. You'll figure it out.

Whatever you play in your left "CD player" will come through two channels, and the right "CD player" will come through the remaining two channels. Just as you suspected, your mixer treats it the same as you'd treat two CD players.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby mickey j » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks dokai. Once again, this is new to me and before I spend the $$$, I want to be sure I am buying the right things and can use them they way I envision. I am still waiting for a deal on the laptop I want but think I will go ahead and buy the gigaport. (already bought another external hard drive and have been converting my music like mad) Once everything arrives and I test it out I'm sure I will need some more guidance and I appreciate your patience with this newbie digital DJ (even though I've been in the business over 20 years.)
Mickey J
mickey j

Postby dokai » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:57 am

Happy to help, mickey j. We were all noobs at one point! :-)
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dave Miller » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:15 pm

I'm sure you'll figure it out, but, just try it at home. Play something thru one virtual CD deck. Whichever pair light up on the Gigaport is it. Wire that to the mixer. Same for the other deck.

Unless you monkey around with some software preferences or control panel options, those two channels will always represent the virtual decks that you figured them to be.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Audio Interface question? for gigaport users

Postby jbrown157 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

One word of advise. Take the software disc that comes with the gigaport and immediatly throw it away - you do not need. Let windows set up the device for you. Simple and works great. Even I can do it!
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby mickey j » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the tip on the software, you must be clairavoent (sp) since I have received all my equipment and was one day away from installing the gigaport. I'll update everyone on everything soon. The reason why I have not installed it yet (and now won't) is below:

Right now, I'm pi$$ed! Ordered PCDJ Red Mobile and my activation key won't work! Anyone running this software on a windows 7 machine? I think this may be the problem. Did some checking and software is compatible with Windows 7 (which I am loving by the way). I am about to e-mail PCDJ tech support. Wish me luck, I hope they have good support!

Best,
Mickey J
mickey j

Postby dokai » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am

The first time I typed in my key, I wasn't paying attention and typed "O" for "0". LOL
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby mickey j » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 am

Hi all,
Update: my activation code was missing a letter, they must have misprinted the label. Anyway, they sent me the corrected code and the software is now activated. Service was fast and polite. Now to try it out . . .
Mickey J
mickey j

Postby dokai » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:03 am

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Keep us posted!
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting