Blue screen of death

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Blue screen of death

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 am

yep, got the dreaded blue screen of death on my laptop. Thankfully this wasn't during a gig. While I was loading up this week's CD, it went blue screen and said unexpected page fault and memory read/write error. Looks like faulty memory. It did seem to be running slower recently, and the past several times I turned it on, it would shut off after 3 seconds, then I'd turn it on again and it would continue to go, but now it won't boot up at all. Just turns itself off after 3 seconds. I gave it a rest and tried a couple hours later and it tried to boot up but stopped and gave the memory read/write error again, so I'll get the memory replaced (under warranty) and hope that's all.

But best of all, I was 1,000% glad I have a complete and up to date backup of all my music on my home server (with a raid 5 array). I'm going to start taking a backup computer to my gigs in case something like this happens at the event. That would be a total party crasher to be there with absolutely no music at all.
Bartman Audio Production
http://www.bartmanaudio.com
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Blue screen of death

Postby djmc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:29 am

TheBartman47 wrote: I'm going to start taking a backup computer to my gigs in case something like this happens at the event. That would be a total party crasher to be there with absolutely no music at all.

You weren't doing this BEFORE??? :o
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 pm

Hopefully it's an easy fix and your laptop is returned quickly.

Keep in mind that RAID isn't the end all of backups. You should also have CD-R or some other backups of your music, or multiple backups on different drives. Take one complete set of backups and keep it at a different location, in case there's a flood or fire at your primary location.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:37 am

Dell warranty replacement, shipped new memory stick overnight at no cost to me. (Since I'm a certified Dell diagnostic technician, I get parts shipped overnight at no charge). Laptop back up and running like nothing ever happened to it.

As for backups, I have all the original CDs, so if something does happen to the laptop and server at the same time, I still have all the originals, and though it would be a pain to re-rip all of them, it can be done, so I won't exactly loose everything.
Bartman Audio Production
http://www.bartmanaudio.com
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 pm

TheBartman47 wrote:Dell warranty replacement, shipped new memory stick overnight at no cost to me. (Since I'm a certified Dell diagnostic technician, I get parts shipped overnight at no charge). Laptop back up and running like nothing ever happened to it.

As for backups, I have all the original CDs, so if something does happen to the laptop and server at the same time, I still have all the originals, and though it would be a pain to re-rip all of them, it can be done, so I won't exactly loose everything.

If they're all at your house, and your house catches on fire, you won't be re-ripping any of them. Hopefully your insurance can replace all of the CDs that got destroyed in the (hypothetical) fire. Of course that assumes that CDs are covered by your policy, that you have a list of which CDs you have, and that all of them are still available.

Or you could have an offsite backup. 8)

Glad to hear it was an easy fix!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting