Digital DJ Programs

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Digital DJ Programs

Postby PartyPerfectDJ » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:00 pm

BMP Studio just got a great reveiw in Moble Beat MAg
PartyPerfectDJ
Inactive

Postby Professor Jam » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:54 pm

I have always used BPM studio I think me and my buddy are the only ones in the US to use it, it is from Germany and expensive.

? Your kidding right?
Professor Jam

Postby djdonny » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:53 pm

PP,

From what I've heard, BPM Studio is one of the most popular DJ software packages used in the US.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Professor Jam » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:03 am

OK - You just don't know....

The US has a solid mix of individuals utilizing many programs including BPM.. I'm personal friends with the individual who actually gave the founder of BPM the idea for the software and they are been active around the globe.

Spin Tight...
Professor Jam

Postby PartyPerfectDJ » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:50 am

As far as I know they WERE the first Solid Pro Program.

Like Isaid when I started ot was BPM, Wrtual Turntables 1.0 or Winamp!
PartyPerfectDJ
Inactive

Postby Professor Jam » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:10 am

As far as I know they WERE the first Solid Pro Program.

This comment is subject to definition. Many claim to be first at many details within the Computer DJing industry. The reality is an individual shared coding in the beginning that generated the interest for the development of the company mentioned.

I regret to burst your opinion but they WERE not the first to develop a solid mixing tool... It was done prior and they only took it to another direction in creating a good tool called BPM.

I only bring this up because credit is due - where credit belongs.

Peace..... mix-tight!
Professor Jam

Postby Professor Jam » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:10 pm

I would recommend you attend the 2005 Computer DJ Summit October 3-5..

Reading your online opinions, your mannerisms reflect you are informed and often stating issues you’re passionate with as facts.... I believe you have many valid views and are misguided in others - I' would agree you are not an historian and I have not seen you make such claims…. So I will file your claims as passionate opinions.

The "Heart" of a Computer DJ via your definition and weighted by your style of DJing may consider the auto cross fader the “Heart”
However, a jukebox style of computer DJ would add more weight to the database and consider that the “Heart” of computer DJing.
The fact would be the Software the individuals utilize is the Heart – In reality the auto cross fader and database are useless without the program.
So who did it first? I will tell you that the first application was not utilized within a DJ related mixing protocol…

I was informed a few posts here have been removed due to smart-a$$ comments and insults… Too SAD. Try to remain professional.
Professor Jam

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:04 pm

Right... they said they're adding auto-BEAT mixing. They've had auto-CROSS mixing from the very beginning. OTS is set up to run like a radio station -- very nice program.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby James Kane » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:12 pm

Ots is a very different program from most other DJ utilities. It's designed for automation. The current auto-sequeing is the best out there in my opinion. The auto-beat mixing should be interesting as it is supposed to be done "right." All the current solutions I'm aware of are not aware of changing tempos within a track. Ots is attempting to solve this problem.

As far as manual beat mixing it works as well as just about anything else out there. Although it doesn't have a one touch button to adjust tempo of the coming in track to the current track automatically.
James Kane

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:01 pm

Actually, MixMeister does the best job of auto-beat-mixing "done right". It does everything including adjust tempos (but not the pitch -- but you can probably adjust that too).
Ots is really just playing catch-up to MixMeister in that arena. Ots's strength is that it is much better suited than MixMeister for Mobile DJ applications. MixMeister would have to do some major reconfiguration to its user interface before I could say that it's really ready for the Mobile DJ market -- it's perfect for home and club jocks.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby DJRobB » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:47 pm

The History of every major DJ program tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.

For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question ''How can we play audio files and make some money at it?'', the second by the question ''Why are we wasting time just playing mp3s?… Let’s play everything and make more money at it!'' and those in the the third by the question, ''Where shall we place the blame on Why we have wasted so much time trying to play everything when we don’t even know How to play audio files consistently… yet?'' :P
Robbie Britton

Full Time mobile Digital DJ.

I Vote for and Support - DJ Dr. Drax, Bryan Foley, and (The New Guy) Brian S. Graham (a.k.a. DJ BusyB)
DJRobB

Digital DJ Programs

Postby SteveCie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:04 am

I have noted the comments regarding OTS, BPM etc. I haven't seen anything here regarding PCDJ. Is this considered a good or a bad program? I am just curious if anyone has had any bad experiences with it. I have been using the PCDJ FX VRM for a little over a year now. The auto features and wait list have worked well for me, as does the CD Ripper engine. The ability to change BPM without changing pitch has been a wonderful additionto my show as well. Any feedback guys?
»Having an Affair?
...Make sure its with
The Steve Cie Show"
Digital Sound * Intelligent Lights
Serving NJ NY PA Since 1975
www.stevecie.com
www.stevecie.com/forum
Member ADJA
SteveCie

Postby jwg » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 pm

I have been using PCDJ for several years now. Absolutely love it. Have had more issues on the laptop system than the rackmount. As long as you do all the tweaks it should run fine.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby The Digital DJ » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Oh Ya, Virtual DJ :D , Ive Tried/used 7 proffessonal DJ programs in my time. And VDJ is the only one I use, for the last 2 years. It has everything that the others have Sweet program and so easy to use/learn. Drag and drop. It has it all and extras, and sounds good. But a expensive but worth every penny program. Have any comments about the #1 DJ program VDJ? Let me now and Thanks. GOOD DJING

The digital DJ
Portland, OR
The Digital DJ

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:58 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:53 pm

Digital DJ... there are several other programs that have come out that are worth investigating ( PCDJ VJ , OTS VJ, MixMeister Fusion, TriceraSoft Swift Elite, etc.)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby The Digital DJ » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:28 am

Hello,
Ive tried them all exept PCDJ VJ, though I do use PCDJ RED, For the interface VDJ is the easiest to use and understand and for the rest, for price, sound and ease of use along with all the nick nacks it has you can't beat it. MixMeister, I just couldn't get it and I have the Manual for MixMeister and still couldn't do it. For "Fusion" its a nice program but the first 2 times I tried and the last 2 times I tried it it locked up my computer, Well I pulled that one and went with VDJ. I make my living with cool program. HAPPY JAMMON ha.

Daniel
The digital DJ
Portland,OR
The Digital DJ

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:09 am

I can assure you Daniel, that there are many other Digital DJs out there that feel the same way as you do, about other software choices.

It's really a personal choice! To you, it's VDJ/Cue/PCDJ VJ (all based on VDJ)
To some, it's DJPower, Ots, Mixmiester or...
VDJ is #1 to you and several others, but not to everyone. It's like you're saying Ford trucks are #1.... There are several other truck owners that feel Chevy or Dodge is #1. You're fueling a pissing match we don't need, and that will never be won! Besides, who wants to get all pissy. :shock:
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:31 am

Jeff -- it was just last night that I finally realized that the long-awaited PCDJ VJ was really just VirtualDJ!!! And... it's missing one of the most important features: Auto-play!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Yep!
Sounds like PCDJ is having VDJ revamp that part of the code!
It'll be back, but act slightly different.

Originally, it was supposed to be based on Livid Union/quicktime engine.
That partnership didn't work out, so they went with VDJ instead.

As an owner of a VDJ licence however, I'm still very partial to my Ots!
Nothing does the job better "For Me"! :wink:
Jumpin' Jeff

PreviousNext

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting