Digital DJ Programs

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Digital DJ Programs

Postby djconroy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:21 pm

I'll throw in with the Virtual DJ fan club. What I like best is the ability to use a single program/interface and become intimately familiar with all its features, whether I'm doing music, video, or karaoke.

My major complaint up til the last version release was the lack of tag reading to search by genre, etc. Helps alot when you get a gig that is giving requests for music styles you're not overly familiar with.

Now that they've now added that, hugely improved the auto-crossfade functionality, and added a host of other features, i can't say as I have any big complaints about it.
djconroy

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 pm

I'd go with OTS VJ... except for the proprietary file format.
I really believe that the same info could be contained in a separate database, or at least a file separate from the mpeg. I don't want to carry two libraries in different formats of the same files just because I want to switch back and forth between files.
OTS VJ has many of the things I'm looking for except for MIDI integration with a lighting program -- and I expect that if I worked on it a little... I could help them provide that fairly easily as well.

________
VirtualDJ really does have almost all of the features I'm looking for already built in, and from the looks of it, they seem like the types that would take good suggestions to help improve their product even more.

When you buy the Numark version, you get access to all of the templates of VirtualDJ (I believe.)
When you buy the PCDJ VJ version, are you also getting a license for VirtualDJ, or are you stuck with just that interface?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:30 am

CJ Greiner wrote:I'd go with OTS VJ... except for the proprietary file format.
I really believe that the same info could be contained in a separate database, or at least a file separate from the mpeg. I don't want to carry two libraries in different formats of the same files just because I want to switch back and forth between files.
OTS VJ has many of the things I'm looking for except for MIDI integration with a lighting program -- and I expect that if I worked on it a little... I could help them provide that fairly easily as well.

________
VirtualDJ really does have almost all of the features I'm looking for already built in, and from the looks of it, they seem like the types that would take good suggestions to help improve their product even more.

When you buy the Numark version, you get access to all of the templates of VirtualDJ (I believe.)
When you buy the PCDJ VJ version, are you also getting a license for VirtualDJ, or are you stuck with just that interface?

So, What is Ots VJ CJ?????

It's OtsAV!!! :hahaha:

Honestly, other than to test out other softwares, and exporting to my wifes ipod, the Ots format is all I use anymore.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:39 pm

Ooops -- I mean http://www.otsav.com/

Many players can now use the full-quality mpeg or DVD (.vob) format -- I don't want to have to take any more steps to convert the files to OTS format... and then have to convert them back (is that even possible?) if i want to use another program.

OTSAV is a very good program. I'll seriously consider purchasing it as soon as the programmers bring in just a few more features that we mobile DJs desire.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:23 am

All Ots files can be exported to Wave or MP3 files as necessary (with artist and title tags only).
Video and graphics information cannot be at this time, but it is the plan (so I've heard), to be able to export that as well.

It's really not all that bad, but to each his own.
For audio stuff, it's pop a CD into the drive, and import into Ots, collecting the CD info from FreeDB.

For the video stuff, I use smartripper to get the tracks to the HDD, and then import them into Ots as MPEG2. It's only really if you run using MPEG1 where you need to optimize for space and playback on a weak machine that it requires much more effort, or if you need to edit the video...

Of course you also have to rename all the video tracks too, and I'm working on a solution to that myself. Simply download an excel file listing of the tracks on the DVD, and it will use this file to rename the tracks in a folder. Then it's nearly like using FreeDB for video. If you get promo only of Screenplay/JonesTM/ERG videos, you can find excel listings of these DVDs on internet, so it's a matter of seconds instead of minutes to nemae your videos...

Just what features are you still needing CJ?
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:47 pm

I'll have to find the old post where I discussed my likes/dislikes of OTSAV.

I do believe that one of the (few) negatives was the need for multiple copies of the same files due to the proprietary file format. I use several programs -- there's no need for OTS to save the file info in the "wrapper". They could use a separate file or database just as effectively... if not more effectively!

I'll search here and elsewhere to see if I can find that write-up.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:20 am

We've totally gotten selfish on this thread, but if you like a seperate file for each track, you can do that now with mp3 and wave files, and many don't like it. Many also like the "Album format". You an still save files one track per file, with unique filenames, and put them in the same folder, and not worry about dups....

Every file format has it good and bad. Personally, I like the fact that I can store an entire album in a single file. Can't do that with MP3 except in folder arrangement.

BTW, I'm not trying to sell you on Ots... If you're not ready for it, then so be it.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Might as well be totally selfish!

And if I felt that I could do everything with one program -- I'd very seriously consider OTS. It's a very good program and does everything it promises.

It's a shame -- every program out there seems to have some sort of shortcoming that frustrates me.
I can't wait until these programs get so good that instead of complaining about what they're missing, we're instead able to compare them on which one has the greatest strengths.

By the way, here's the thread I was talking about (which you participated in!) 8)
http://start.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1536
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 am

LOL!
As I started it, I hope I participated in it...
My altzheimers caused me to forget that one.... lol

One of the first objections you commented on was price...
Seems that should now be a non issue... ;)
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:10 pm

You're right -- price is not a problem if it's the right program for the job!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting