Digital DJ Programs

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby audiopulse » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 pm

CJ Greiner wrote:Does OtsJuke read the BPM tag in the mp3? Or does it store the info in a database?

The reason I ask is: MixMeister offers a free BPM tagger program that will go through all of your mp3's (and other types of files?), do a very accurate beat count and put the info in the mp3's ID3 tag for you.

It does but doesn't lol ... the current version has the ability to do this automatically when you rip the song and put the BPM in the tag but it's not implimented/active in the program yet.. they are still working on making it better than most others before they release it with ver 2.0... some other "features" that are supposed to be with 2.0 is Karaoke/video and DMX light controller.... ought to be sweet!!!

Thanks for the book idea... will be getting that soon..

Dave
audiopulse

Postby CJ Greiner » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:39 pm

audiopulse wrote: ... some other "features" that are supposed to be with 2.0 is Karaoke/video and DMX light controller.... ought to be sweet!!!

Really? Are you sure? WOW. If they really can do that, then that'll probably outsell DJPower!

--------------
When you said that it puts it in the tag when you rip it, did you mean in the mp3's tag? or is the BPM actually stored in a database?

If it's putting the BPM in the tag, then the MixMeister program will work for you. If not... sorry.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby djdonny » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:05 pm

I've recently downloaded MixMeister and it looks like an excellent program. I will certainly endorse it in the preface of my next edition.

In fact, it may help me improve the next edition, if it's users want to contribute. I'll offer a free copy of the next edition of the book to anyone who can email me an export of their BPM list from MixMeister, as long as the list contains at least 5000 songs. (Shorter exports are welcome, but I can't give a free book to everyone.) This may help me fill in those songs that may be missing from the book, and can help me check for BPM accuracy. If your list proves very helpful, your name will also be listed in the book's preface as a contributor.

Please include your name and shipping address in the email, with the export file as an attachment. The second edition should be coming out mid-year, 2005, so I'll need them before the spring.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Re: The BPM List: A Music Reference Guide for Mobile DJs

Postby audiopulse » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:14 pm

here is a screenshot of the info that will be added in 2.0.... the bold stuff is already implimented.... it can use MP3 but they suggest you convert it to "their" format .ots it's more stable and a little smaller than MP3s with more info..

Here is the screenshot

This is the program that converts CDs to OTs albums and set all the info automtically... the light colored items or "chunks" are what is in store for the future 2.0 ver....

Dave
audiopulse

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:15 am

audiopulse -- I thought you might be interested in this... it certainly disappointed me.

I sent an email to OTS labs to see when the video/lighting aspects of the program were going to come out. Here's their email response:

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:53:11 +1000
To: "CJ Greiner" <info@djgold.com>
Subject: Re: Video playback & DMX lighting control
------------------------------

Hi CJ,

Thanks for your email.

Video and DMX control are still being considered for OtsDJ. We have other priorities at the moment, which include the promised features for OtsDJ Pro 2.0. We appreciate your enthusiasm regarding video and DMX control, however we need to complete promised features first. Lighting control will be part of OtsDJ Pro 2.0, however the particulars of this cannot be disclosed at this stage.

Depending on how complicated each of these features are to implement will determine how far away they are from being developed.

Thanks for your feedback on the development on OtsDJ.

Kind regards,
OtsZone.com Admin

-----------------------------------------
OtsLabs.com - "Intelligence for your Audio."

(LIMITED OFFER: SAVE a MASSIVE 25% on OtsDJ today at http://www.otsdj.com/order)

HELP US HELP YOU: Please make sure you keep the history of this email (proceeded by ">>") at the bottom of your reply, so we understand the context of the correspondence.

DISCLAIMER: All correspondence is supplied "as is" without any warranties or guarantees.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 25/11/2004 at 3:37 PM CJ Greiner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been hearing for a couple of years now that you've considered
>adding Video and DMX lighting control to the program... are these still
>on the far-off wish list, or is it something we'll see from you in the
>near future?
>
>Thanks,
>-- CJ Greiner
>info@DJGold.com
>http://www.DJGold.com

:(
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:29 am

(Future 2.0 feature) Automated Beat-Mixing
(Future 2.0 feature) Looping & Sampling
(Future 2.0 feature) High-End Visual Effects Display
(Future 2.0 feature) Time-Coded Lyrics Display
(Future 2.0 feature) Lighting Control Interface

(Future 2.0 feature) Jingle/Sound Effects Engine
(Future 2.0 feature) Audio Effects Processor
Secret Undisclosed 2.0 Features!

With this list, and the menu items shown in Daves image, I would suspect these have already been considered personally. Why would they put the Menu item in there if they did not intend to carry out it's use IMO.

From the list above, Time coded lyrics take care of the Karaoke, and Light control interface for possibly DMX, although they may decide to use another method such as midi, I would think they'd stick with the standard control interfaces, so that leaves only Video unanswered for. In is possible but unlikely that this will be covered in the high end visual effects, but most likely to be one of the "Secret Undisclosed 2.0 Features".

IMO, if they don't include video, their missing the boat! That's todays biggest selling point!
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:42 pm

I think you're right. I wouldn't call the video aspect a "booming industry" just yet -- but it's definitely a "growth industry".

If cheaper tools were available to do video from more companies, I think more DJ's would use it.

-----------
They've had it on their list of things to do for years now, with no actual implementation in sight. Same with PCDJ and a few other companies.

I've discovered that TriceraSoft has improved their interface for Swift Elite -- but it's still not "just right" for Mobile DJ's either.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: The BPM List: A Music Reference Guide for Mobile DJs

Postby James Kane » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:44 pm

Video was one of the bullet points for 2.0 when I purchased my first copy of Ots Juke back in the day. It's interesting that it's no longer there!

Personally, I think Ots is wasting developer resources on something it should put lower down the totem pole (automatic beat mixing.) Get the lower hanging fruit to add more features (DMX lighting integration with another product like LightJockey or ShowXPress, time code lyrics, basic video support (add transition effects later), and throw in something like MP3+G support.)

I still have my two licenses for the day they finally deliver what was promised back when I purchased it but in the mean time I'm using another solution that is closer to my needs at this time.
James Kane

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:52 pm

What solution is that?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby James Kane » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:01 pm

I'm currently using MegaSeg on my PowerBook. It gives me the video and karaoke option I wanted in OtsDJ. The DMX control still isn't integrated but I'm experimenting with LanBox. I'm hoping I can do some Apple Scripts to tie them together.
James Kane

Postby Dave Miller » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:11 pm

( CJ - It's time - split this thread into a new "Digital DJing thread" )

I've been hearing good stuff about MegaSeg. At least the hype sounds good. Have you tried the new version 3.0 yet? How would it compare to CDs with a basic Denon? (2500? 2600? Not sure which my model is off-hand) Personally, the video and dmx part doesn't interest me ... yet.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby James Kane » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:40 pm

Since we are derailed... I guess I may as well continue. :wink:

MegaSeg 3.0 is 90% of the way to being what I want a digital DJ program to be actually. The chief improvements with this version are improved database functions (more useful tag information), improved scheduling features (building on top of the new database stuff), and a dual deck mixer interface.

Currently I'm only running the new version on my test bed machine to ensure it's completely stable before switching the laptop over. I'm still experimenting with it but there area few key differences between using it like a Denon. I see memory set cue points but haven't found a way to loop. There is no tempo control only pitch. If you use the advance feature for an automated mix, it clears out the left deck and replaces it with the contents of the right deck. I'd like this to not do this since it's not my expected behavior, but I'll likely adjust.

Things I'd like to see in future versions:
• Tempo Control
• Looping (unless I'm dense and just am missing it in the manual)
• Video transitions
• +G support for MP3 and AAC (again unless I'm missing it)
• Improved Automatic Gain control (they are inheriting this from QuickTime though I think. So if Apple fixes it, it should start to work.)
• Support for a hardware controller like PCDJ's.
James Kane

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:55 pm

It really seems to me like these software developers are working in the dark.

It wouldn't cost them too much to get ahold of other DJ Programs and see what features should be incorporated into their own program.

Having a better dialog with the end user in their intended market wouldn't hurt either.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby James Kane » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:22 pm

CJ,

I don't think they are necessarily in the dark. They are doing what I'd be doing actually. Working on the functions that would make it the tool I want to use. From time to time they throw a bone to the screams and rants of the users and go back to doing what they think is best.

With Ots unfortunately they are trying to appease all their customers that want automated beatmixing now. It's no easy task to do in code and they are getting bogged down without any major new features in a year now. Since their customers wanting this type of functionality instead of more advanced (and expensive to get in to properly) stuff like DMX lighting and video play back, they are very likely doing the right thing for their core customer base. Unfortunately, it just isn't what was right for me at this juncture. :wink:
James Kane

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:37 pm

I'm surprised -- I thought they already had automatic beat-mixing... maybe it was just automatic cross-mixing?

--------------
I think DMX lighting control should definitely be next on every program's to-do list.

You're right -- the ones that do it now are using MIDI output.... which works great because all of the current DMX Lighting Control programs use MIDI triggers.
--------------

I downloaded the program you mentioned: LC+ for controlling LanBox hardware ( http://www.cds.nl/products/LCplusSoftware.html )
I just haven't had any time to play with it yet to see how it compares to the other programs available for Windows computers. For Apple computers, it looks like it's the best thing available.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Digital DJ Programs

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:53 pm

CJ, Yes!

They have had Automated mixing since day one. (Segue mixing)

Beat mixing should be out soon!

I would use it, but Light control, video, looping, sound effects, and video are a higher priority for me.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby audiopulse » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:38 am

Jumpin' Jeff wrote:I would use it, but Light control, video, looping, sound effects, and video are a higher priority for me.

These would be my priorities too... Don't think I would use beat mixing that much in the gigs I do...

I hate to say it, but if there was a program out there that did these things as one package, I probably would consider a change but I wouldn't abandon OTs cause it's still the most stable program on the market... IMHO ... I would just hang on to it till the features came out then I would have all the feature AND the most stable program ....

I have been using OTs now for 3 years straight and it has never failed me... (knocking on wood.. LOL) I have been using it on my current laptop for a year & 1/2 without a reformat or reinstall... first year & 1/2 was on a desktop PC I was using at gigs..

Dave
audiopulse

Postby James Kane » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:59 am

Dave,

That's exactly why I swapped platforms, but keep my eye on the OtsDJ developments. I love what they have so far but was frustrated with the lack of video integration.

At this time MegaSeg gives me video (and AAC which I would also like to see Ots adopt due to higher quality.) With the number of video shows I do I would gladly switch back today, if Ots got the lighting control integrated however (as I use the Martins at 80% of my shows.)

Although if MegaSeg were to catch up in the mixing area and get integration with LanBox... the situation might change as well.
James Kane

Postby Michigan DJ » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:44 am

Virtual DJ already has automatic beat mixing.

As well as sound effects to the beat of tyhe music.

As well as one button beat looping!

Level matching? SURE!

Cue Points? Oh yeah baby!

http://www.virtualdj.com/
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:21 pm

I suppose at a rave or where playing lots of techno music or at a competition ballroom dance beatmatching would be important but yeah, beyond that I don't try to beat match either.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Next

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting