Build your own high capacity external Drive case.

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Build your own high capacity external Drive case.

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:29 am

This was a project I started to combine several external drive cases into a single tower case, to remove all the excess wiring, and clutter.

Using an ATX mini tower case capable of holding 4 5.25 drives, and 6 3.5 inch drives, and a modified ATX power supply, a few HDD intface cables, and a USB hub.

One power switch turns off all drives in the case.

As of this weekend, I have nearly 1.5 terrabytes of drive space installed in the case, along with a CD/DVD Burner.

Has much better cooling capabilities than the old drive cases too!

http://gallery.otsdjsupport.com/main.php?g2_itemId=533
http://gallery.otsdjsupport.com/main.ph ... &g2_page=2
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby DJ Daddy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:02 am

Very nice, Jeff.

Question: I don't see much in the way of cooling fans in there (or I just overlooked them). Considering the drives are running whether they are used or not, aren't you a little antsy about heat build-up?

Ron Keyes
Unplugged & Powered Down
DJ Daddy

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:09 am

The vortex drive enclosure has a temp sensor, and a squirl cage fan, the Power supply fan is replaced with a 3 speed adjustable fan, and there is another 3 speed fan on the removable cover. I removed the top housing on the vortex enclosure and the temp of that drive reaches 41 C without the squirl cage fan running. If I set it to run high it is noisy, I must manually set it to medium each time I power it up currently, but it maintains 28C this way. I am considering hard wiring that fan to medium speed. The other 2 fans (image 572) keep the remaining drives relatively cool... As the vortex fan is more enclosed, it retains heat more.

I think I'm OK in the cooling dept., as it's blowing all cool air.

Actually, I think I have more, and better air flow than I had with the individual external drive enclosures this replaces.
I could still add 2 more fans to the back, but I find them unnecessary at this time.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 pm

That will hold a lot of songs!!!! :shock:

Pretty cool jeff, its like on giant external HD. how much money would you say you invested in this project? Just curious.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:27 am

Yep!
One Giant External USB drive!
I shouldn't need anything more than the 1.5 T for some time, I just installed the 750G last weekend, and have moved my videos off the 300G drive that ws 80% full.

This is also my video production drive.... I have Adobe Premeire Elements and Photoshop elements installed on it, and should have a bit of elbow room to create within.

If everything were new... approx $900-$1000...

As it is, I have 1 new 750G drive, a converted external USB burner, 4 USB drive adapters, a USB 7 port hub, a really cheap case, a retired power supply, and 3 older used HDDs ranging from 120G to 300G.
Jumpin' Jeff

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting