Mac Mini?

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Mac Mini?

Postby dokai » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:00 pm

After many years supporting Windows environments, I'm seriously considering moving to a Mac for my CPS. Anybody using a Mac Mini? Any reason this is a bad idea?
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dj Sean » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:21 am

I don't know the specs off hand but this may not pack the punch (RAM, cpu, expandablity, etc.) you may want.

A good place to start is look at the requirements of your software for performing, minimum RAM, etc. then compare to the mac mini.

Personally I would rather use a laptop, more versital in my opinion, plus if you get the new lappys you get Windows and OSX, not sure the mac mini is compatiable for both, yet.

I have a G4 laptop 1.67 Ghz 100 GB harddrive (before the mac intels) and she's never let me down, but I have those CD's just in case.

I think Apples are more stable than Window's but who knows with Windows vista just coming out, they might have made improvements.

But I'll tell you, my web guy says Gates will never improve too much because they make most their money on support and they are the monopoly on PC's. So they got no reason to make a better opperating system, other than tiny ole' Apple which is growing rapidly thanks to Gates dropping the ball.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:04 am

Dj Sean wrote:Personally I would rather use a laptop, more versital in my opinion, plus if you get the new lappys you get Windows and OSX, not sure the mac mini is compatiable for both, yet.
ALL Apple computers now have the ability to run Windows. But that's not necessarily a good thing.

Dj Sean wrote:I think Apples are more stable than Window's but who knows with Windows vista just coming out, they might have made improvements.
Watch your terminology. You're comparing computers to operating systems.

Apples are more stable than typical Windows based PCs.

The Mac Operating System is more stable than Windows.

An Apple running Windows will suffer all of the same problems as any other Windows based PC.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, it's the Windows part that I'm trying to get away from. The PC hardware is probably no worse than the Apple hardware, assuming you get a decent brand or build it yourself using quality components. The OS, on the other hand, seems to be much better than what Gates is selling these days. In fact, it's Vista that has me considering leaving the Windows world - Microsoft's operating systems have been going downhill ever since W2kPro. XP sucked, and Vista is just a larger, prettier, more bloated suck.

I also would rather use a laptop, but the Apple laptops are pretty pricey. I figured a Mini might do the job for quite a bit cheaper while still being very small and portable.

If I could find a flavor of unix that would support the required soundcards and also run the DJ software that's out there, I probably wouldn't be leaning so hard in the Mac direction. Unfortunately, I don't know of ANY DJ software that runs under unix.

Any other tips or observations regarding using an Apple computer as a CPS?
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:44 am

ALL Apple computers now have the ability to run Windows. But that's not necessarily a good thing.
Actually, your statement is misleading and not true. I have a Powerbook G4 you need the Macbook pro with the intel chip, my cpu is made by motorola, mine will NOT run both. At least not without some neat hacking. LOL.

I think Apples are more stable than Window's but who knows with Windows vista just coming out, they might have made improvements. Watch your terminology. You're comparing computers to operating systems.

Apples are more stable than typical Windows based PCs.

The Mac Operating System is more stable than Windows.

Sorry this is what i meant.^^^^

An Apple running Windows will suffer all of the same problems as any other Windows based PC.
This is true. Can you say bring on the viruses??!!

All this conversion talk reminds me of some hackers out there who have got OSX running on their PC's.

here is the link on how he did it.
http://www.elitistsnob.com/archives/200 ... into_a.php[/img]
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:25 am

Dj Sean wrote:
Actually, your statement is misleading and not true. I have a Powerbook G4...
You're right.

I said "now". I meant to say "Currently for sale". It's been, what?, over a year since the non-Intel Mac was sold? Only the Intel based Macs can run Windows.

FYI: I too own a PowerBook G4.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting