Sound Cards

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Sound Cards

Postby AzPartyPleasers » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:49 pm

Hey boys, I tried the search feature for "sound card" but the engine only turned up posts that used sound and card, not "sound card" together. So apologies if this has been covered before.

I run a laptop at most of my mobile gigs, and i want to use an External Sound Card to boost the quality of the signal, as well as eliminate the electrical noice that is audiable over my PA when my laptop is plugged into its power source.

What do you guys use? I have heard about Creative Sound Blaster, but there are several models. I want a simple, cheap, external sound card solution.

Recommendations?

TIA,

Matty
Matthew Stutz AZPP Entertainment Owner, Scottsdale, AZ
AzPartyPleasers

Postby Joseph Ivy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:00 pm

Your problem may not be solved by using a sound card.

That being said, I like sound blaster and would use it if I didn't already have an Echo Indigo DJ Card
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby AzPartyPleasers » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Joseph Ivy wrote:Your problem may not be solved by using a sound card.

That being said, I like sound blaster and would use it if I didn't already have an Echo Indigo DJ Card

I have tried searches for "Sound Blaster" and bought a "Sound Blaster Live" external sound card today. But all the inputs and outputs are still in 1/8" (headphone jack) ?? I would want one with RCA outs.

Can anyone link me to an RCA out Sound Blaster?
Matthew Stutz AZPP Entertainment Owner, Scottsdale, AZ
AzPartyPleasers

Re: Sound Cards

Postby jwg » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:26 am

If I'm not mistaken, Sound Blaster Live is consumer grade at best.

I've had the Gigaport for several years for use with my Laptop system and the Waveterminal 192L for the rackmount (the system I use 99% of the time.) The Gigaport at least will allow RCA to RCA connection.

I want to get the Fast Track Pro for use with the laptop but, since I have Media Center Edition, the Fast Track I hear doesn't work well with it.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:34 am

The gigaport is the most popular I know of with RCA jacks. I think there are a couple of USB hardware units that use 1/4 jacks, but I don't know what they are called.

You best bet will be the Gigaport.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby JR » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:16 am

I bought one of these recently.

Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202
Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface with Digital Output

http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/index.cfm?lang=ENG
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jwg » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:30 am

JR:

What software (PCDJ, Virtual DJ etc.) are you using this soundcard with?
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby JR » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:07 pm

As I mentioned, I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Mainly because I hadn't decided on a software, or for that matter, what hardware to use. I just thought I would experiment with this pocket-sized device at home with my current laptop just to see what kind of sound quality I would get. I offered it up for consideration only because, at $35, I thought it was a very inexpensive alternative.

Software wise, I've been monitoring the posts here and I am still very much up-in-the-air as to whether I will go with separate programs for DJ and Karaoke, or something like PCDJ with the Karaoke Plug-in.

But none of this will start until I get the hardware (i.e. computer and external HDs). I believe I will, eventually, go with a laptop with dual video capability so that I may have karaoke availability as well.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jbrown157 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:29 am

I have two systems utilizing Gigaport. Both have worked perfectly and I've been very satisfied with them.

My ceremony system has a Soundblaster "MP3 +" that has also worked well, but only has one output channel. I use the mixer inside PCDJ with this system so it works fine. It does have RCA outputs, but I wouldn't advise using it as your primary sound card. This might even be a discontinued model. It was quite inexpensive and might not be a bad option for an emergency back-up.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000095IMS/ref=s9_asin_title_1/103-4860506-5427044
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby dokai » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:59 pm

I also use the Gigaport, and have never had any problems with it. Cost me $150 way back when I bought it a few years ago.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby djconroy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:16 pm

I'm not sure what software you're running, but the Hercules MK2 DJConsole works as both a mixer and sound card but its function is tied to Virtual DJ. It comes with a somewhat handicapped VDJ version 3.4 free (no time-coded vinyls and some other features limited).

I already had the pro version of VDJ, but I still don't regret the $250 for the console, which I sometimes use as a sound card and controller, and other times just use as a sound card and audio input for time-coded vinyls and use a separate external mixer.
djconroy

Postby DJ Scott » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:06 pm

The UCA202 is a very nice unit. (even for $29)
RCA ins and outs WITH headphone out.
I've got one I use for onsite recording of live events. Works great.
As for DJing...I use the Indigo DJ card, but again, it's 1/8 inch outs.
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting