A video of OtsDJ video and ABM in action...

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby dokai » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:05 pm

Clearly OTS wins in this comparison. My only question: Are there settings available in VDJ to tell it to NOT stretch to fill, adjust the frame rate, etc., so that it outputs similar to OTS? This COULD be a case of the OTS default settings being better than the VDJ default settings, but both products being capable of similar output IF adjusted. Or it could be a case of your hardware meeting or exceeding the minimum requirements for OTS but not for VDJ.

All of the above are guesses, of course. I have no idea if you tried adjusting VDJ or not, or what the minimum hardware requirements are, or whether or not your equipment exceeds them, and by how much. I'm just trying to figure out why there's such a difference between the two when there shouldn't be.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Re: A video of OtsDJ video and ABM in action...

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:16 pm

If VDJ settings can be adjusted to work better, then I haven't found the settings. I do know the decoder I was using for these images worked better than the default decoder. I only know of 2 that I could select from on the system.

System wise, these images were take from my new system... a Core 2 Duo 6400 procesor, 1 G ram, and an ATI x1600 pro video card with 512 memory.

The fact that I've had so much grief trying to get VDJ to work correctly, and Ots worked straight out of the box is a plus in the Ots corner too.

I agree that VDJ should be tweaked, to get the best possible comparison available, but I doubt the differences would change much.

I'd heard of a plugin that took care of the aspect ratio, but haven't found or installed it. I may have been heresay for all I know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not intending to bash VDJ here. I was hoping to use it for my video shows before Ots delivered the suprise, but I simply couldn't get the performance and quality I now have with Ots, and without the hassless trying to get it to work.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Just went to look at the plugins....

All I found was this...

Name: ScreenResizer v1.0
Author: djcel - Team -

Description:
Effect
It enables you to resize the size of your window in order to make 16/9 video compatible,...

Review:
It only works with VirtualDJ v4.x and Numark Cue

Date added: Mon 11 Sep 06
Last update: Mon 11 Sep 06
Nb downloads: 609
Created for VirtualDJ version 4.0

Looks to be a global thing, but what's it do for 4:3 videos? Shrink them down to fit in the new 16:9 formated display inside a 4:3 format? So now instead of filling the entire 4:3, it's shrunt to fit within the bounds of widescreen format, so now you have black bars on 4 sides???

I'll have to try it out I guess.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:01 am

But, are those image captures of the same source file, or did OTS and VDJ "capture" the video and encode it? I can certainly understand an explainable huge difference in video quality of two different encoding processes, but for playback, it should make no difference if two programs are using the same codec for playback (assuming hardware requirements are adequate for both).
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:17 am

I used the same VOB files to play in VDJ, that I converted to the Ots format of which is all Ots is capable of playing video from.

Obviously, As I can only play Ots video files in Ots, and I can't play Ots files in VDJ, I cannot use the exact same file source for the comparison, but it was derived from the same VOB file.

VOB >>> VDJ
VOB >>> Conversion to ots Format >>> Ots

There isn't a way to use the exact, unconverted source in both programs.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Ots-Steve » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:08 pm

TheBartman47 wrote:But, are those image captures of the same source file, or did OTS and VDJ "capture" the video and encode it? I can certainly understand an explainable huge difference in video quality of two different encoding processes, but for playback, it should make no difference if two programs are using the same codec for playback (assuming hardware requirements are adequate for both).

Hi Bartman,

There are many reasons for the difference in quality. Firstly, it should not be assumed that all software uses the same codecs. OtsDJ doesn't rely on external codecs during playback at all, which is just one of the reasons for the better quality.

OtsDJ also outputs double the rate of motion updates of most other software - 60 per second for NTSC (most others only do up to 30 per second). This is a major benefit and reason for the smooth video output. If you've ever seen a ticker running at 30 updates per second you'll know how jerky it looks. You'll seldom see a jerky ticker on TV broadcasts, as they output at 60 as well. (It's actually 59.94 fields to be more precise, but we'll just say 60 motion updates to keep it simple).

OtsDJ handles aspect ratio correctly, as demonstrated in the above screenshots.

I've seen the "ScreenResizer" as Jeff posted above and it is pretty useless. Unless you are going to play ALL 16:9 videos all night, you will have to keep changing it back and forth during each mix. It would be like pressing the "Aspect Ratio" button on your TV remote control at home each time the song changes to get it right. Imagine saying to your guests, "Sorry everyone, give me a second while I fix the aspect ratio up." Not real professional.

Anyway, thought I would chip in with a few more technical details.

The best way to see and hear the benefits of OtsDJ Pro is to download the demo version which comes with video songs to make it easy. For more comprehensive testing, you convert some VOB files into Ots format, and put OtsDJ's internal resolution into "SD mode". Demo here:

http://otsdj.com/download/otsdjdemo.html

The difference with OtsDJ is a broadcast quality output. Not to mention many innovative quality features like IntelliFade(tm) automated fade mixing, BeatMorph(tm) automated beat mixing and high-quality ClearScale(tm) time-scaling with a range of +/-100%.

Ots_Steve
Ots-Steve

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:14 am

Thanks Steve!

So, as you've seen the VDJ Screen resizer, tell me.... Does it play the 4:3 inside the 16:9 at the proper Aspect, or does it stretch it horizontally to fit the 16:9 when it's in use????

I'm guessing the latter.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:39 pm

I only have a few videos myself, but I use winamp to play them, and it automatically adjusts and preserves the aspect ratio. I would think it very uncommon for any program to NOT have automatic aspect ratio preservation.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 am

Steve -- thanks for providing the additional details about OtsDJ. I really am interested in the program and would like to see it continue to improve toward a fully-capable audio/video/lighting control system.

I wrote an email to Ots a couple of years ago asking about video and DMX lighting control, and it's good to see that they're finally on their way.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 7:53 PM
To: CJ Greiner
Subject: Re: Video playback & DMX lighting control

Hi CJ,

Thanks for your email.

Video and DMX control are still being considered for OtsDJ. We have other priorities at the moment, which include the promised features for OtsDJ Pro 2.0. We appreciate your enthusiasm regarding video and DMX control, however we need to complete promised features first. Lighting control will be part of OtsDJ Pro 2.0, however the particulars of this cannot be disclosed at this stage.

Depending on how complicated each of these features are to implement will determine how far away they are from being developed.

Thanks for your feedback on the development on OtsDJ.

Kind regards,
OtsZone.com Admin

-----------------------------------------
OtsLabs.com - "Intelligence for your Audio."

(LIMITED OFFER: SAVE a MASSIVE 25% on OtsDJ today at http://www.otsdj.com/order)

HELP US HELP YOU: Please make sure you keep the history of this email (proceeded by ">>") at the bottom of your reply, so we understand the context of the correspondence.

DISCLAIMER: All correspondence is supplied "as is" without any warranties or guarantees.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 25/11/2004 at 3:37 PM CJ Greiner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been hearing for a couple of years now that you've considered
>adding Video and DMX lighting control to the program... are these still
>on the far-off wish list, or is it something we'll see from you in the
>near future?
>
>Thanks,
>-- CJ Greiner
>info@DJGold.com
>http://www.DJGold.com <http://www.djgold.com/>

It's good to see that they spent this time building quality into their product!

I do recall thinking that there were several things missing from the program interface that would be necessary to really make it useful for mobile DJs. From memory, there were one or two buttons missing from the main control panel, the location of the "work area" didn't make sense since you couldn't see the media search area at the same time, and there was no countdown timer to the end of the playlist. When I get the chance, I'll take a look at the program again to see what else might need working on...

I tried VDJ a while back, but chose not to use it for several reasons. I've had great success with DVD-quality performance while using MixMeister Pro 6, TriceraSoft Swift Elite, Mobile DJ Pro and DJPower. These programs all have special features including moving text banners, video transitions, slideshows, visualizations, MIDI interface for controlling DMX light shows, auto-beatmixing, external video inputs (dancefloor-cam), karaoke, pitch/speed controls, show timers, playlists, etc.

I do find the GUIs of some of these programs to be way too busy, and none of them seem to be designed very well for touch-screen monitors (which I use.)

I think that if OtsDJ made a very few well-chosen modifications to its interface, it would quickly become the program of choice for Mobile Entertainers.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:33 am

I agree with your comment on the ML and work area not being seen at the same time CJ... Always thought the Search window and the ML should be combined as one, so you could move tracks to the playlist or the Work area directly, and it would give even greater search power....

Hoping to see this one day myself.

As for the countdown timer.... Well there's been a counter, just not a countdown....

The clock at the end of playlist determines the length of the playlist in timer mode, and the estimated end time in clock mode.

That's been there long enough that I can't remember when it was included.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Ots-Steve » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:05 pm

Jumpin' Jeff wrote:Thanks Steve!

So, as you've seen the VDJ Screen resizer, tell me.... Does it play the 4:3 inside the 16:9 at the proper Aspect, or does it stretch it horizontally to fit the 16:9 when it's in use????

I'm guessing the latter.

Hi Jeff,

The VDJ Screen Resizer simply resizes the A/R of the output screen. It is the poor man's version of A/R correction, as you have to manually adjust it each time A/R changes (which may be every song change).

So if you have an anamorphic 16:9 clip stored in a 4:3 raster (as commonly done), it will allow you to stretch it out to 16:9. However, if you then play a normal 4:3 clip next, you will have to manually adjust it back, otherwise the 4:3 will be stretched horizontally. Your audience will see you adjust it too, because you are literally adjusting the final output screen.

Of course, if you have a 16:9 clip within a 4:3 raster with black bars at the top and bottom (the other common way 16:9 is stored in DVD), then you would need to stretch it both vertically and horizontally so that the black bar areas are off-screen and you are filling the screen with the correct A/R. Basically, it is a nightmare to do all this live and completely impractical.

This kind of information should be stored in a file format, which is exactly what the Ots file format does. Ots Studio automatically detects A/R with a high level of accuracy, but it provides full controls for overriding these settings too.

See some pictures in docs here:

[url=http://otslabs.com/studio/doc/webdoc/editing_your_ots_files/editing_chunk_information/vci_(video_control_info)/aspect_ratio.htm]Click here for A/R pics and docs[/url]

There are more aspect ratios than just 16:9 and 4:3 too. There is also 14:9, 2.21:1 and more which are commonly found on video clips.

Ots-Steve[/url]
Ots-Steve

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 am

Jumpin' Jeff wrote:As for the countdown timer.... Well there's been a counter, just not a countdown....

The clock at the end of playlist determines the length of the playlist in timer mode, and the estimated end time in clock mode.

That's been there long enough that I can't remember when it was included.

Yep, you're right -- I didn't notice the time/timer column in the playlist before. All the information is there, it's just not where I'm used to seeing it. I'm used to a common display area that shows info such as remaining time in the song, remaining time in the playlist, and end time of the last song, etc. This info is in OtsDJ, just not in control-panel-display format. You have to look at the current time, then at the playlist and then figure out how much time is remaining in the playlist.

___

Also, I'm used to having a separate player where I can preview any song/video in my DJ Headphones. Is anything like that hidden in OtsDJ?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:26 am

If you double click the track you wish to "preview", it will bring up it's properties window, from where you can click on a button in the lower right corner " Play with OtsPlayer", or in the case of wave or mp3, "play in default player". You would need to set up Ots to play from the secondary audio, and the player would operate using the windows default audio configuration.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:34 am

Jumpin' Jeff wrote:If you double click the track you wish to "preview", it will bring up it's properties window, from where you can click on a button in the lower right corner " Play with OtsPlayer", or in the case of wave or mp3, "play in default player". You would need to set up Ots to play from the secondary audio, and the player would operate using the windows default audio configuration.

That's not as easy as I'd like it to be... but it works well enough until they add a real preview player. I don't know if you've seen OtsDJ on a wide-screen format monitor... but there's LOTS of room to add an additional preview player! 8)
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:18 am

I just purchased a new monitor, but not widescreen....

My reliable old 1024x768 display wasn't large enough to handle the video monitors AND my Light jockey interface, so I moved to a 17" that fits in the same physical dimensions as the 15" it replaces with 1280x1024 resolution.... I then use a script to size my Ots window to 1024x900 so as to display my Light jockey audio analyzer, Manager panel, and visualizer.

Honestly, it wouldn't be too hard to script it for auto preview on double right click.... Or assign something to an aux button on the mouse so that it automatically opens the properties window, and activates the preview, then close the properties window.... 8)

I like scripts to fine tune applications to my own needs... ;) I may throw this one together even for myself... :hahaha:
Jumpin' Jeff

Previous

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting