A video of OtsDJ video and ABM in action...

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

A video of OtsDJ video and ABM in action...

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:51 pm

For those that want to see the results of just one persons fun with the new Ots...

This turned up on a couple sites this morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru-6zJpDDno

Now it's not mine, but it's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Can't say I personally know the DJ....
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby dokai » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Not bad for an OTS dj. :wink:

Just what I didnt need - something else to inspire me to spend more money!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:23 pm

LOL!
Sorry it potentially inspired you dokai... :hahaha:

It's amazingly quiet these days....
Most all the Ots naysayers seem to have found holes, and gone into hibernation....

Some have even started publicly eating their own crow...

Is it truly that good after all? :lol:

I guess time will tell!
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby Bryan Durio » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Jumpin' Jeff wrote:It's amazingly quiet these days....
Most all the Ots naysayers seem to have found holes, and gone into hibernation....

Some have even started publicly eating their own crow...

This is proof that there is a God and He wants us to be happy!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, from Technology and the Future
Bryan Durio

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:29 am

I enjoyed trying the program out... but was quite amazed at the price for the entire audio/video/karaoke package -- wow that's a lot!

It seems quite pricey, especially when compared to other programs that do all that, plus control DMX lights, have extensive visualizations and banner messages.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: A video of OtsDJ video and ABM in action...

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:37 am

You may consider it pricey CJ, but think of it like a car....

You can purchase a fully featured Saturn, or a Base Rolls Royce...

They'll both get you from point A to point B, but One will get you there with more style, more comfort, and more reliability, due to it's higher quality drive train and craftsmanship. Cheaper quality parts will not get you as far.

Nice part about this, is the features will be included with the purchase, and should arrive at a much quicker rate than previously, as the ground work has now been layed out for them with a sound drivetrain. I know of no plans to have multiple module prices. Any updates to each module should be included in the package plan, so it only gets better from here.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:14 am

I'm with you on the "Rolls Royce" idea... but OtsDJ is at the Low-end when compared to other programs that do Audio/Karaoke/Video. The rest of the programs that do this are all much cheaper, and have much more extensive feature sets. (Tricerasoft Swift Elite, ClubDJPro, MobileDJPro, PCDJ, etc.)

Current Pricing for OtsDJ with Audio/Karaoke/Video is:
Audio $349.95
Karaoke $99.95
Video $299.95

As soon as it jumps up to regular prices after this intro period, OtsDJ will be:
Audio $399.95
Karaoke $149.95
Video $499.95

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:44 am

If you've heard Ots, Or seen it's video capabilities, I don't really consider it "Low End", and neither would many others. This is Broadcast quality here! A perfect Rolls Royce drive train!

Sure! The other apps do much more now, but their drivetrain simply doesn't cut it for professional quality.

I purchased VDJ prior to version 4, I tried and tried to get it to the level of quality I would expect to provide at a gig, considering it one of the best available at the time for video. Unfortunately, it never provided the level of quality "I expect" to provide at a function. Ots did out of the shoot. The other features will come with time, and simply be icing on the cake for me. Nobody else provides video this smooth, Ticker, or pro quality animated titling. But they will now! VDJ has stated it's on the way... Because they need to compete.

The best part of OtsDJ video and karaoke, is there will still be many that will remain loyal to their own product choice, and those products now have a new level of quality to try and reach to remain competative, so in the end, we all win. Not only that, The products themselves will be able to command more as they too mature to a higher standard of quality.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:49 am

Don't get me wrong -- I've always enjoyed OtsDJ's single-player/single-playlist format for audio/radio production. I think they have a very solid, but simple interface and control system. The only reason I never purchased their program in the past was due to their use of a proprietary file format ("wrapper") instead of a database system.
When compared to other audio-mixing programs available to DJs, I'd rate it near the top of the Audio class for its ease-of-use and solid no-skip performance.

However, when compared to other Audio/Karaoke/Video programs, it doesn't nearly have the feature set that the other available programs have. So when compared to those programs, it gets a much lower rating.

To clarify: It's very good, and does what it says it does... but it's just considered low-end for the Karaoke/Video class. That's why I'm wondering why it's priced as though it's at the top of the class.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm still confused why you think it low end!
Feature wise yes, but the quality by absolutely no means.

I'm also confused as to why you consider it a "single-player/single-playlist format"... I consider it a 'Double' player/single playlist.... Like DJPower, PCDJ, VDJ... Aren't these supposedly considered Pro grade programs?
Except for video, 2 of the 3 provide karaoke as well. PCDJ will possibly very soon, but none stand to the quality level output that Ots appears to provide in comparison. But apparently features are more important to some... ;) And that's OK, Really! They'll be there in time, and much quicker now that ABM has been presented. I assure you several, including myself, that put quality first over features, feel it worth every cent. Otherwise who would be buying it.... No one! and that isn't the case.

Now if that Rolls Royce ran with the Saturns engine and tranny, I would completely agree with you. :lol:
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby dokai » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:29 pm

I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of the video between the various products. Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere where that happens. Even at the conferences, there's too many differences between the hardware (screen quality/size, computer/graphics cards) and the film clips being used to be able to do a valid comparison, imho.
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:59 pm

I agree dokai!
You almost have to do the comparison yourself with the demos available, and even then you can't be 100% up to speed on many of the options of the softwares you aren't familiar with, and may end up missing something important along the way. To find someone that knows all the ins and outs of all the major softwares, to properly demo the various apps, and their features fairly, would be imposible.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:10 am

Ooooops -- yep, OtsDJ is Single Playlist/Dual Player. BUT, it does provide controls at the top of the window so that you can control it like a single-player system, which is what I like the best.

Jumpin' Jeff -- I don't disagree with you at all about the quality:

OtsDJ plays the audio and video at full digital quality... just like the rest of the programs.

It's the features vs. price that concerns me.
If the Audio and Video (& Karaoke) are all reproduced at full digital quality like all the other programs, then the only choice to make is features.

OtsDJ doesn't have all of the features of the other programs, yet it costs considerably more. I'm simply missing what the reason for that might be.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:34 am

CJ Greiner wrote:Jumpin' Jeff -- I don't disagree with you at all about the quality:

OtsDJ plays the audio and video at full digital quality... just like the rest of the programs.

Are you sure about this? Personally, I don't see anyone else playing "full digital quality".... ;) Their Video isn't as smooth as Ots.... Jumps around... Unsteady.... Definately not as good as direct from DVD like Ots seems to provide in comparison... I wouldn't put them in the same class! And don't!

CJ Greiner wrote:It's the features vs. price that concerns me.
If the Audio and Video (& Karaoke) are all reproduced at full digital quality like all the other programs, then the only choice to make is features.

OtsDJ doesn't have all of the features of the other programs, yet it costs considerably more. I'm simply missing what the reason for that might be.
As stated above, I don't percieve the quality of the other programs to be at even DVD quality. It's sub par. Definately not "Full Digital Quality".

It's like asking Bose to sell at American Audio prices... Bose will represent me so much better. That's more or less what your wanting.....Bose can command a higher price for their product, and I can't see it really has any more features than the more flexible American Audio speakers(multiple inputs with seperate tone control for each).... You'd base that purchase on sound quality alone if you really want to impress your guests.

I understand the desire to purchase on features. I simply place higher value on the quality of the product first, then the features.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:20 pm

hehe, comparing to Bose isn't helping your case any in price justification. Better stick to the Rolls Royce comparison.

I would like to know what about the program makes it's "drivetrain" superior to other/cheaper programs? Is it things like lower memory and processor resource requirements? Program stability? Other?
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:25 pm

It is very lean, bloat free code. It is also the most reliable software I've seen, and as presented here, has much higher quality audio and video output.

Ots deals with the hardware at a much lower level than most softwares to get the most out of it. It's not rushed out to customer demands other than for this last particular release due to the length of time taken to accomplish the Automated Beat Mixing.

I thought the Bose comment would stir someone.... ;)
Not everyone likes Rolls Royce either.... LOL

I certainly can't afford to own one personally.

Best way to discover is by experience, so I recommend downloading the available demos, and "Seeing" the difference first hand. I will state that Ots will need a fairly hefty machine to provide silky smooth video, with all the features activated.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby dokai » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:53 pm

Jumpin' Jeff wrote:I will state that Ots will need a fairly hefty machine to provide silky smooth video, with all the features activated.

That's pretty much true of ALL of them, from what I've seen. If you want to do video well from a CPS, you don't want a wimpy machine.
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:48 pm

So true dokai, but let's assume that due to the better quality output, Ots needs just a little more than the typical system to achieve these results.

The other apps currently, you could throw more horsepower at them, and the end result wouldn't change much.

Personally, I'm very successfully running a C2D 6400 system.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby CJ Greiner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:01 am

Ahhhhh... I understand now.

You're under the impression somehow that the audio/video from the other programs is not at full quality?

The reproduction is only as good as the source material, and we're dealing with digital source material here. So that being said:

It would take extra effort for any program to put out audio/video at any quality other than that of the original source material. The program would have to take extra steps and multiple CPU cycles just to reduce the quality or somehow adjust the sound/appearance of the source material for it to come out any other way.

Why would anyone do that?

The only program that I have continuing issues with is DJPower, and that's not because it reproduces the audio/video any differently. The audio/video is reproduced in perfect digital quality -- just like the rest of the programs. In fact, it also has more "features" than any of the other programs mentioned so far in this post.
The reason I didn't bring it up before, and am happy leaving it out of the discussion for now, is because of programming problems that allow certain functions to fail during performance... DJPower has been in "Beta Release" for its next version for years now. Every year they've announced that the next "improved" version is coming out, but it still hasn't happened. :?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:30 am

Yes and no CJ.
Yes the quality of Ots is indeed the quality of the original source.

No, the other programs don't cut it there.
I have not found one other program that will play video as if it were the same quality of that of the source DVD.

Why do you think I'm raving Ots so much???? :hahaha:

The guys at Ots are perfectionists! Why do you think it took so long to get the last release. The software is coded efficiently, without excess code bloat, and with quailty in mind at all times.

If that means adding code to ensure the very best possible sound and picture, without taking shortcuts, then so be it.

Many of the software packages simply do not effectively reproduce the source material, and therefore lose quality. Just because the source includes all the proper data, doesn't mean that the software is using it all to reproduce the image.

As a test, I used a few computer animated graphics tracks from animusic, and I can tell you they look horrid on all but Ots. Something about the way the frames are displayed, I get interpolation. Big time! I don't get that with Ots video. That is one of the most important factors to me.

It's also important that the output aspect is maintained. If I want to play a video that is in the widescreen format on a 4:3 aspect display, I expect 2 things.... That it doesn't stretch/warp the 16:9 display to fit 4:3, and that I can still fill the entire screen with content.

I posted these chots on another site comparing VDJ and Ots. as I own both these products. Perhaps you can see what I mean here.

Color, Contrast, Texture, and movement
VDJ
This aspect ratio is 16:9 in a 4:3, and is shown as produced.

Ots
The aspect ratio is determined by Ots of the actual content, and embellishments were allowed to replace the Black bar areas to fill the entire display with content. Notice the arms and hair in both images, and you tell me what looks smoother, and cleaner.

Aspect ratio
VDJ
Ug! Stretched vertically to fill the display and warping the image.

Ots
Again, Ots properly determined the actual content and allows you to choose to allow embellishments to fill the remaining black bar areas.

All these images were captured on the same machine using both products, so video images are not skewed by system and video card.

Can you honestly say you can't see a very noticable difference in even these still captures?
Jumpin' Jeff

Next

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting