Going Multi System: Suggestions?

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Going Multi System: Suggestions?

Postby Xtreme Productions » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:14 pm

I recently started purchasing wedding leads and it realy boosted my business. I am going to add 4-6 more setups (for a total of 6-8). I will listen to anyone that has done this and would like to give a few words of advise or any suggestions?
Xtreme Productions

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:53 pm

I haven't done this yet -- but I'm interested in seeing how others who have done this respond.

Where did you get your leads?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Xtreme Productions » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:46 pm

If you become a preffered vendor for your local David's Bridal store you get a list of there clients that come in to the store to buy gowns or whatever they come in there for...anyway...I pay $225 a month and I've been getting about 550 leads a month with names, adresses, email, phone, AND BEST OF ALL WEDDING DATE!!!...It's really been working out AWESOME!!! I'm trying to not have to turn down that many people and thats why i'm trying to add some systems to my biz.
Xtreme Productions

Postby Xtreme Productions » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:53 pm

As a vendor of David's Bridal you also get a guarantee that no other DJ can have the leads (from them) in your area. You get to go in to the store durring business hours and talk to there clients and sign them up on the spot. best of all you get to use "Official DJ of OKC's David's Bridal" on your advertisments (of course excluding the okc part, that is just were i'm from)...Check it out if you have a David's Bridal in your area and if not talk to your other bridal shops and see if they do a leads thing.
Xtreme Productions

Re: Going Multi System: Suggestions?

Postby Xtreme Productions » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:00 pm

After I get the leads and I place them into my mailer program i print labels and mail them these (see pics). These are postcards that I had designed.
Attachments
BACKPOSTCARD2.jpg
BACK OF POSTCARD
BACKPOSTCARD2.jpg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 7047 times
BACKPOSTCARD.jpg
FRONT OF POSTCARD
BACKPOSTCARD.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 7047 times
Xtreme Productions

Postby Xtreme Productions » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:02 pm

And Yes I Know There Is A Typo In The Word "to" On The Backside...this Is The Pic's They Sent To Me To Approve The Design And I Caught The Typo (i Just Didn't Want To Scan In The Real Postcards)
Xtreme Productions

Re: Going Multi System: Suggestions?

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:50 am

i have been thinking of this myself, i see alot of people checking dates (on djintel) and i'm already booked. i guess the best way is to take out an ad in the local paper.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Xtreme Productions » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:24 pm

I've tried the local paper thing and it doesnt work (if your talking about finding "good" help) I have had some crazy people show up wanting to learn to DJ... I think what I'm gonna do is start finding DJ's that are financially hurting in my area and buy them. Offer them some gigs a month with no business up keep. This is a ways of in the future but its the most practical to me because there wouldnt be much training IF ANY. What are your expereinces on finding help?
Xtreme Productions

Postby Toneman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:05 am

Audio Meltdown wrote:I've tried the local paper thing and it doesnt work (if your talking about finding "good" help) I have had some crazy people show up wanting to learn to DJ... What are your expereinces on finding help?

Having good help (employees) is important. Finding the RIGHT ones is the trick. I want someone that is really serious about the dj service industry. One that can and will meet my standards of service. I'm looking for someone just like me, with the same drives and ambitions. One that I can learn from and also teach/train. This is my company that I've worked hard at to get where its is. All it takes is one person to mess up what I've worked so hard to achive. Training is a must. Training consist of working events with me to see how I operate and conduct business for up to a year before cut loose to handle and DJ a event themselves. They have the opertunity to DJ with me right there. I want them to know the In's & Out's of my company.
Toneman
Toneman

Postby dokai » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:20 am

Ditto what Toneman said about training. These are people that are going to be representing your company, and it's important for that representation to be both high in quality AND consistent. Even experienced DJs are going to have to learn how YOU want things done.

In addition to an on-going training plan, I'd consider the following if I was going multi-op:

- Standardized systems and libraries.
- Recruiting plan.
- Tiered compensation levels tied to professional skills achieved.
- Safety and security of equipment and employees.
- Non-compete contracts.

That just scratches the surface, but should give you some things to think about.
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Xtreme Productions » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:44 pm

I tried to do a lot of these things myself and I found out that it is much easier and better to just hire and attorney and get all the stuff done fast and done right. For staffing for my multi-op I think I'm going to basically shut down service for about 3 months and me and my other DJ are going to have a DJ school and train about 10-15 DJ's in class and hold gigs sponsered by the company and provide a no fee training period for anyone that wants to book one of these DJ's. Even though the customer don't have to pay I will still give them the great service we provide currently, I will just explain that I will be training someone and that he will be announcing the stuff and it may or may not sound as good as a seasoned DJ.

There are some more Ideas I'd like to run past you guys and see if you or anyone you know has been successful at this. I'm thinking of offering Inflatables, Rock Climbing wall, Mobile Paintball Field, Lazer Tag...The reason is I have steady contracts with big companys summer picnics and school "after proms" and they hire these items from another company. Just wondering if anyone has tried this before and if it worked... Please post and let me know
Xtreme Productions

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting