Napster Subscriptions

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Napster Subscriptions

Postby djconroy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:27 pm

What is the legal story with Napster monthly subscriptions? You can download all you want, and you can play them as long as your subscription is up to date.

My VirtualDJ software has a "Global Database" search function that can tie into your Napster account and you can play from your Napster database. It would be a great tool if someone requests a song I don't have.

Provided you're playing it and maintaining your license, I see nothing in the FAQ that limits where or when you can play it, as long as you are connected to the internet. With a service live Verizon NationalAccess, my laptop has internet anywhere there's cell service. Does this mean it's OK to use my Napster service for performing?
djconroy

Re: Napster Subscriptions

Postby Dave Miller » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:15 pm

Someone will probably point out the following:

Burried deep in the fine print of your Napster membership, is wording that is similar to the fine print in the iTunes store rules, the fine print for other online sources, and the fine print on regular CDs or liner notes, which states that, technicallty, mobile DJs can't use ANY of it.

That's all rubbish.

The part that's missing from all that fine print is the simple wording "...unless the public performance licencing fees are paid." I.E. ASCAP and BMI in the U.S.A.

Their rules state that private parties are exempt, and the event promoter or venue manager is responsibleat public events.

In other words, unless you're hosting your own public party, you're OK.

----

Warning . . . You may be S.O.L. if you're in a cellular dead zone.
Last edited by Dave Miller on Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Ah Napster, and now they've finally caught Kazaa's creator.
He's is gonna try and go legit too, it seems.

Interesting, cellular wireless internet, sounds expensive.

What happens when your clients complain about low sound quality and buffering, don't forget the dreaded BUFFERING....

Your best bet, say I don't have that song, but I do have.....

Their not gonna fire you!! LOL
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby TheBartman47 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:32 pm

Dj Sean wrote:...and now they've finally caught Kazaa's creator.

Satan? JK. But, for real though, I have removed Kazaa from tons of people's computers that I repair and remove spyware from. Kazaa is one of the worst things out there for getting spyware on your computer.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djconroy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Interesting, cellular wireless internet, sounds expensive.

What happens when your clients complain about low sound quality and buffering, don't forget the dreaded BUFFERING....

The songs themselves download and store locally... the internet connection is simply for a license aquisition, which typically takes 2-3 seconds at the begginning of playback.

Even though it's only 128Kbps, it's handy for requests and songs that I'll never play again.

Verizon offers wireless broadband PC Cards for $199, and service is $59/month with unlimited access. Bandwidth ranges from 128Kbps to 1280Kbps depending on the location (metro areas are super fast).
djconroy

napster

Postby Xtreme Productions » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:55 pm

Napster has a paid subscription that allows you to play the files you download on up to three compuers but you cannot burn them or transfer them to any more computers. I have been using this ever sense Napster went legal and I love it. I have an external hard drive that I just download all of the top 100 songs for each genre through napster for each year all the way back to 1950. If i get a request off of djintelligence that I don't have in my library i just log in before the event and get it.
Xtreme Productions

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:14 pm

someone please clear this up for me. $15 a month gets you unlimited d/l TO PLAY. if you want to burn the downloaded music then what? the faq's weren't too clear on this.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Re: napster

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Audio Meltdown wrote: I have an external hard drive that I just download all of the top 100 songs for each genre through napster for each year all the way back to 1950.

how much time and space did this take?
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Xtreme Productions » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:46 am

(I have a 10mb download speed internet)
I have a 120 gig seagate external usb 2.0 drive and its about 70% full
I have 7500 songs on this drive.
Not sure the exact comparison but I read somewhere that you can fit 4 wma songs to one mp3. It took me two days to do this.
Xtreme Productions

Napster Cost

Postby Xtreme Productions » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:48 am

If you want to burn a specific song then it costs .99 per song and you own that song, you can do with it whatever you want.
Xtreme Productions

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 am

so the $15 a month just means you have unlimited listening rights basically. thats lame. :(

i have a dell and cingular is my cell carrier. the more recent dell laptops have a "special" :roll: express card slot for internet connections. so far cingular has not made a wireless card for it yet.

what does napster provide to burn these wma's? i don't like bill gates in my business.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby DJ Scott » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:26 am

If I can output a signal to my amp for playback, I can record it. Might take a few more steps, but it can be done.
Now....as to Napster and I-tunes?
I use them all the time. I'm not concerned.
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Postby Xtreme Productions » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:08 pm

davidjones@a2zmobilemusic wrote:so the $15 a month just means you have unlimited listening rights basically. thats lame. :(

i have a dell and cingular is my cell carrier. the more recent dell laptops have a "special" :roll: express card slot for internet connections. so far cingular has not made a wireless card for it yet.

what does napster provide to burn these wma's? i don't like bill gates in my business.

Yes the $15 a month is for play rights only but that is usually what DJ's do. I would rather pay $15 a month at napster then pay $15 + per cd, with over 2,000,000 songs on napster availalbe at your fingertips... With the monthly fee you do not have to be hooked to the internet to play these songs, they actually downlaod as an WMA with an expiration date of one month from your acct creation and then every month they run your card, the following log in to napster downloads your new expiration on your songs. I understand that some people look at this and say "your stuck paying $15 a month for life", yes but calculate your LEGAL monthly music budget and see what it comes to and I guarantee this is a heck of a deal!!!!! PLUS THEY HAVE RADIO EDITS!!!!!!!
Xtreme Productions

Postby Digital Scott » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:51 pm

I use napster lite... I pay .99 per song....
I really only use it to get a song a B&G want and I dont want to buy the whole CD. If it is something i really want I buy the whole CD.
ERG has 90% if not more ,,them most B&G want in music.
Digital Scott
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting