Question answered, thanks for the help.

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Question answered, thanks for the help.

Postby Dj Sean » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:15 pm

I have a question I could not, for the life of me, find the answer to.

Does anyone know how to highlight a couple hundred songs at a time in itunes???

I know there is a way to highlight, say, one song then you scroll way down and highlight another song and it automatically highlights all the songs in-between those two. I am trying to back-up my song library and I have about 7000 songs, so I don't want to have to highlight each one, that will take forever.

A friend showed me once before but I can't remember. I am not trying to highlight all because I know how to do that, and that just stalls the command.
:fist:
Last edited by Dj Sean on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Dj Sean » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:22 pm

ah..........I finally fiqured out myself

for those who want to know, hold the shift key then select two songs, everything in-between will be highlighted. :)
Last edited by Dj Sean on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Dave Miller » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:40 pm

Your 'solution' sounds the same as your problem.

Also, the Mac doesn't havean ALT key.

For the record, in iTunes, and in all programs were you can select multiple items, you hold the COMMAND key and click the mouse to select.

Also, on a side note, if you have a two-button mouse, in the mouse's default mode, hitting the second button is the same as holding command and clicking the mouse.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:24 pm

In Windows, you don't have to hold the Alt key, just the Shift key. Click on one item, then scroll down to the last one you want and then hold Shift while you click the last one. This will select all in between.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:56 pm

Your 'solution' sounds the same as your problem.
huh??

my apple g4 laptop has an alt key, its says alt and option on it, teddy.

and your right bartman, if I just hold the shift key that does it.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:31 am

Holy crap!

I never noticed "Alt" on the "Option" key.

But your original post said you DID NOT want to SELECT ALL.

You wanted to 'cherry pick'. To do that, hold the command (apple) key and click a bunch of items.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:52 pm

LOL, teddy. ......try this though, if you hold the shift key and click on a song, then use your wheel and scroll down a bunch in your list (still holding the shift key) now click on another song. Every song inbetween those two songs you just clicked, is now highlighted.

The reason the above feature is nice, is: It allows me to select a 150 songs in a snap, why am I only selecting a 150 songs at a time is explained below.

I found out, as I am uploading my songs onto a external harddrive, that it won't upload any of the songs that are higlighted if one of the songs has a duplicate song with the same song name. For example, I have alot of Track 1, Track 2, and unknown's. So what I did was, find the culprit and (for example) renamed the song name in one of the duplicates, "Stairway to Heaven (Live)" while the other is still named "Stairway to Heaven" or if it was a Remix I added (Rmx) to the song title, etc.

++Special note, itunes has a great "find those darn duplicates" feature built in. Select EDIT in itunes, scroll down and you will see an option to, "show duplicate songs", it will create a list of all duplicate songs where you can delete, rename, etc.

** The two main reasons I am backing up my song library, (and I plan to post another thread for this) is, 1) the obvious reason of backing up my collection. and 2) Because I just found this awesome program that is analyzing the BPM's for every song. So to be on the safe side, I am making sure, everything is backed up.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:08 pm

Dj Sean wrote:LOL, teddy. ......try this though, if you hold the shift key and click on a song, then use your wheel and scroll down a bunch in your list (still holding the shift key) now click on another song. Every song inbetween those two songs you just clicked, is now highlighted.

Actually, you don't have to hold the shift key on the first selection. Just regular click on the first file, then scroll down to the last one you want included, then hold shift and click the last file you want in your selection.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:57 pm

If that's your purpose, why don't you just copy the entire music folder? Why bother using iTunes at all?

Yeah, I bumped into a similar problem when I was deliberately cherry picking songs to be included in my emergency music collection. The solution was to use the find duplicates - rename them (which also renames the file) and THEN copy them.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:54 pm

your right teddy, I just thought going thru itunes would be easier but your way is probably easier.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting