Gigabyte, then on to Terabyte

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Gigabyte, then on to Terabyte

Postby djconroy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Are you backing up onto other external hard drives? I have several 300GB hard drives (some used for primary storage & some for back-up) and I just do my back-ups at night and they're done by morning.

I run my backups across my home network to my desktop PC, so it takes a little longer than by USB or between internal drives.

And to me, overnight seems like forever... Ah, today's microwave world, where everything needs to be instantaneous.
djconroy

Postby justin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:27 pm

jwg wrote:Certainly not knocking anyone with 20,000 or more song libraries. As hard drives get bigger, am adding back in some of those lost classics from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Especially love going on GEMM.com and purchasing the single versions not already in the collection. :)

I was perusing the forums and I came across this thread and saw jwg’s post about gemm.com and became a little curious…
I have tried to get some equipment and vinyl off sites like ebay and amazon and really haven’t been too excited about what I got for my money. But looking at gemm I can already see some things I wasn’t able to find anywhere else at pretty gosh darn good prices. Thanks jwg, you’re a life saver. I think I’m going to head over to gemm.com for all of my needs from now on…
But on topic… If you use apple’s estimate for their 120 GB ipod holding 30,000 songs and extrapolate out you should come up with about 250,000 songs per terabyte. Then at a conservative estimate of 3 minutes per song times 250,000 songs you come up with 12,500 hours or about 521 days of listening (assuming my math is right).
But seriously gemm.com rocks, thanks jwg!
justin

Postby DJ Scott » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Currently (as of today)
Songs - 32,902
Gigs - 143.9
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 pm

If you start getting into video, you'll find a definite need for terabytes of storage space.

You'll need storage for your system, and a way to back it up to another system with lots of storage.

Thousands of songs, karaoke files and videos... that's thousands of Gigabytes!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 am

CJ Greiner wrote:If you start getting into video, you'll find a definite need for terabytes of storage space.

You'll need storage for your system, and a way to back it up to another system with lots of storage.

Thousands of songs, karaoke files and videos... that's thousands of Gigabytes!

Yep!

I've got around 13k tracks, of which I have about 20% video content, and I'm fast filling up a 1T drive.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby len » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 am

My itunes logs over 15,000 songs, but that's with duplicates. But some "duplicates" are various live recordings of the same song by the same artist, but recorded at different points in time, which isn't really a duplicate. I think they use up about 100G. I've thought about buying a 1.5T drive that can be connected direct to my router. Since my wife and I work from home and have stored every work file we've ever generated, a central drive with a couple back-up partitions makes sense.
Have lights, will travel.
630-675-3640
http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com
len

Previous

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting