Gigabyte, then on to Terabyte

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Gigabyte, then on to Terabyte

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:37 pm

In the thread:

http://start.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=16959#16959

we got to talking about how much music we have collected and catalogued.

So I got to thinking, I doubt many of us have reached the Terabyte realm yet when it comes to how much music we have stored.

But, I am curious, how much do you have??

As for me, I have 6522 songs, 22.5 days worth (if played back to back), 44.05 Gigabytes on my Apple laptop, and that doesn't include my vinyl or CD's that I have not ripped yet.

If I do count those, I estimate the number to be around 15,000 songs total, which would equal about 103 Gigabytes or 51.74 days of music.

Dang, I thought I had more!! :oops:
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:39 pm

When I got done ripping, I had close to 16,000 songs.

Then I got rid of the duplicates. Only TRUE duplicates. Different mixes, I kept.

I'm down to about 13,500.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:11 pm

wow, I recall doing the same. I had alot of duplicates, I can't remember how many but it was close to your number teddy.

Everytime you click on the orginal file, from the folder, it creates a new song in the player. This I know is true for itunes at least.

Do you know how many gigs your at??

This of course, can vary alot, because we all use different bitrates but it is interesting to know, none the less.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Re: Gigabyte, then on to Terabyte

Postby jwg » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:50 am

Have heard stories of people with 30,000, 40,000, 50,000 MP3s on their hard drives. Obviously, that must be a TON of duplicate files. Would be impossible to have that high a range unless you own every song ever recorded.

Currently, my hard drive has about 13,000 with several duplicates in my main decade folders and my wedding formality folders. Old Red 5.2 allowed shortcuts to songs from another folder. FX doesn't allow that unless I haven't discovered it yet. A complete music (sorry Ken, lol) library at about 13,000 files or just a bit more is almost perfect. There's many 'forgotten' 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's songs ripped that never or rarely get play. You could probably get by with an 8,000-9,000 song library.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby goodknightdj » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:38 am

Well, I have over 42,000 titles but I will admit the dupes.

Berr, when you eliminated the duplicates did you do a delete or did you move them to another drive? I've been thinking about building an archive drive for duplicates.

Another thing, what about genres? That seems to be my weakest area as far as the MP3 tag is concerned. Is there a "definitive" publication that let's you look up the real genre of a title?
-- Tom
goodknightdj

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:22 am

when you eliminated the duplicates did you do a delete or did you move them to another drive?

In my case, sense I use itunes there is a great function built right in, under EDIT you can select "show duplicate songs" and from there I just deleted the true duplicates, being careful not delete the remixes as it cannot descern the difference.

Another thing, what about genres?

Good question, as for genre's I had made my choices as it is really a matter of opinion but you can search Amazon.com or itunes library and it will show the genre's of each song.
[/quote]
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby jwg » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:01 am

Since I use Excel for my DJI database, I bought a software program (a bit pricey at $50.00 but worth it) that will highlight duplicates. For as many times as I've used it, the software has paid for itself over and over.

Sure, there is a way you can manually do it in Excel, but this is 2 mouseclicks and you're done!
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby DJPete » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm using OTS -- 13,560 Songs using 53.6 Gig
DJPete

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:09 am

I'm sitting at 10256 with no duplicates that I have found.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby jwg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 am

Certainly not knocking anyone with 20,000 or more song libraries. As hard drives get bigger, am adding back in some of those lost classics from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Especially love going on GEMM.com and purchasing the single versions not already in the collection. :)
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby goodknightdj » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:48 am

Hey John:

I didn't know about GEMM.com. Thanks.
-- Tom
goodknightdj

Postby jwg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:12 am

Tom:

It's pricey at times, many songs are only on vinyl too. CD singles can be pricey too. Sometimes, they'll kill you in shipping. And, it can take a couple weeks to receive something. The GEMM site is confusing sometimes when tracking your orders.

Has anyone here on DJGold actually moved up to a TB drive yet?
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:21 am

I don't have a TB drive, but where I work on my day job has a server with a Terabyte storage capacity using 5 hard drives in a RAID array.

And a place where I previously worked, we had a section of the network that could transmit 1.28 terrabits of data per second, roughly equivalent to 16.5 million simultaneous telephone calls, down one strand of fiber optic cable smaller than a hair on your head.

Anyway, just trying to put a scope on just low large a terrabyte is. If you have that much hard drive space, you might very well could fit every commercially available song ever recorded.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:03 pm

If you have that much hard drive space, you might very well could fit every commercially available song ever recorded.

Or at least most every popular request in any genre in high quality WAV or AIFF format. This is my ideal I think after discussing what is possible and what formats are the best.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby djconroy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 am

I've got 2 400GB external USB drives, one for Music, one for Karaoke. Backing up is a pain - It can take forever!

I'm looking into incremental backups so that once the full backup completes, subsequent backups only worry about new files. Haven't spent the time yet, though.

Eventually I'd like to find a rackmount USB RAID enclosure so I can tolerate a failed HD and keep running. Backups don't help if you're on a gig and your portable HD fails (unless you bring duplicate HD's).
djconroy

Postby Jim Weisz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:07 pm

djconroy wrote:I've got 2 400GB external USB drives, one for Music, one for Karaoke. Backing up is a pain - It can take forever!

Are you backing up onto other external hard drives? I have several 300GB hard drives (some used for primary storage & some for back-up) and I just do my back-ups at night and they're done by morning.
Jim Weisz
Music Division Manager
JonesTM
jweisz@jonestm.com
972-406-6813

PrimeCuts MySpace

PrimeCuts Comparision
Jim Weisz

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:47 pm

A RAID system would be the way to go it seems.

But if one harddrive fails does that mean you lose parts of all your songs or just many songs?? I am still learning about RAID systems.

What I mean is, doesn't a RAID system spread out (for example) one song's data through out the many H.D.'s or does it store one whole song on one H.D.?

I would imagine you can chose either option, right?
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Jumpin' Jeff » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:57 pm

I use Filesync for incremental backups between 2 drives. I can if I desire, do a bit per bit compareison, but normally simply do a compare, and update older files with new, or add the new files that are missing from the destination drive.

I highly recommend it.
Jumpin' Jeff

Postby dokai » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:24 pm

Dj Sean wrote:What I mean is, doesn't a RAID system spread out (for example) one song's data through out the many H.D.'s or does it store one whole song on one H.D.?

Depends on the RAID level. A RAID 5 array stripes data across multiple drives, and then calculates the parity information for each stripe and stores that also. That way if a drive fails, the missing data can be extrapolated from the parity information. In RAID 1, you're just mirroring data between two drives, so both drives would have a complete copy of the entire song.

Here's a pretty decent introduction to RAID concepts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby len » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:25 am

Last I looked, I had about 14,500, including duplicates. That doesn't include all the classical and jazz I listen to, plus the 20 - 25 crates of 12" I have in the basement from the good old days. Plus, the 30 crates of lp down there.
Have lights, will travel.
630-675-3640
http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com
len

Next

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting