Macgyver-like idea... I think?

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Macgyver-like idea... I think?

Postby jwg » Thu May 04, 2006 9:16 pm

There is often concern over cooling for a laptop. Many have purchased USB laptop coolers.

Given the fact that if the laptop were somehow elevated this might promote air circulation under the laptop.

What ya think of this. Went to Wal-Mart tonight, and for $1.94, purchased
a pack of small, circular gripper pads. Stuck 3 together in each corner of the bottom of the laptop. Whatta ya know, it elevates the laptop about 1/2 inch for better circulation. :)

Thought i'd share.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Re: Macgyver-like idea... I think?

Postby dokai » Thu May 04, 2006 10:22 pm

More air circulation certainly can't hurt, and you can't beat that price. Nice idea!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dj Sean » Fri May 05, 2006 3:20 am

Is it sturdy though? Sounds like a good idea and I'm always for cheap fixers but what do you set your laptop on a table or do you have a stand? That's what I'm working on right now. Something that will attach to my DJ coffin (yep I still use vinyl but with a laptop). When I have something made I will post pics eventually.

Some things I've been looking at are the medical laptop stands some are very well made and can most likely be rigged to work for most Dj's laptops.

here's some cool ideas:

On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby dokai » Fri May 05, 2006 8:27 am

If you're looking at stands, I used to use a small stand that was intended for small monitors for karaoke use. It was nice in that the monitor platform could tilt to give me a comfortable keyboard angle while standing. Way cheaper than those medical stands!
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby srothkin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:21 pm

All laptops I've seen have cooling fans blowing hot air out the side or back. I doubt razing the laptop to allow airflow underneath would make much difference.
Steve Rothkin, President
Rothkin Entertainment (www.RothkinEntertainment.com)

DJ Manager Software (www.djmgr.com)
srothkin

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Steve -

The bottom gets hot too. The tiny little feet of a laptop is insufficient even if you're placing the laptop on a tabletop. Place it on a tablecloth, and you're creating problems. Raise it 1/2" solves that.

The best solution, of course, is a laptop fan.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Though the laptops blow air out the side or back, they draw air in from underneath in many instances.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 pm

srothkin wrote:All laptops I've seen have cooling fans blowing hot air out the side or back. I doubt razing the laptop to allow airflow underneath would make much difference.

The problem isn't blocking the airflow, since the air doesn't flow out the bottom, as you pointed out. The problem is the heat CONDUCTION from the bottom. Put your laptop on top of a pillow, blanket, or some other insulator, and it will thermal out in approximately 30 minutes. Ironically enough, I've even had my laptop overheat from resting on my LAP. Raising it a little allows some air to flow across the bottom, lowering the temp. Even better is pressing a heatsink against the bottom and actively cooling the heatsink, which is what those "USB coolers" are doing.
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting