Switching to MP3s, not CDs

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby LYoung116 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:03 am

I decided not to get a wireless, but an optical mouse (so I can see). Only problem is, my laptop cannot find the new external hard drive and the light on it is blinking. Taking it in to my day-job to have IT guy look at it again for me. :(
Last edited by LYoung116 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Re: Switching to MP3s, not CDs

Postby jwg » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:37 am

I have 2 trackball mice, one for the laptop system and one for the rackmount. Works great for me.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby LYoung116 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:12 pm

Look out; it's up and running! I will break in the laptop tomorrow (Sunday wedding!). I still have to organize into file folders, but I have made a wedding playlist so far.
Anyone know how to convert ITunes music into an MP3? OTS will not play these tracks. My DJ friend will actually sit down with me and show me how to categorize, etc. Both my male DJ friends have finally accepted the fact I went MP3. No more mentions of the "dreaded blue screen".......... :hahaha:
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby jbrown157 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:25 am

Congratulations on joining the digital age! Regarding I-tunes tracks.. I had to burn them all to audio CD and then rip them back as MP3s. If anyone knows of another way, I'd love to hear about it myself!
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jwg » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:19 am

If you have a version of iTunes prior to version 6, check out jhymn. It will convert iTunes files to mp3 and skip the step of having to burn to CD. BUT, you have to have a version of iTunes prior to 6.0 for jhymn to work.

<--closet computer geek. lol.

As for organization, have the folders in windows explorer the way you want them in your program.

For example,

1970s
-Ballads
-Pop
-Rock
-Soul, Funk, Disco
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby LYoung116 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:45 am

The Itunes music was put on the hard-drive by someone else. Guess I'll have to ask him what version. If he doesn't know, I will burn to CD. Thanks!
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby LYoung116 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:32 pm

Well, I finally did it! My "maiden voyage" (gig) using the laptop. Takes a bit of getting used to. Practice makes perfect.........
Attachments
MP3 DJ setup.jpg
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby TheBartman47 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:16 pm

jbrown157 wrote:Congratulations on joining the digital age! Regarding I-tunes tracks.. I had to burn them all to audio CD and then rip them back as MP3s. If anyone knows of another way, I'd love to hear about it myself!

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) has a wav file recording feature that you can use, then compress that file to MP3. Basically, this will skip the burn to CD part.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Toneman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:24 am

Welcome to digital....after awhile you will think Why didn't I do this earlier. You may never go back to CDs again. I was a little hesitent at first...but after the first few events I got really comfortable with it. It's just the transittion from CD to computer that seemed to take awhile due to I had to rip all of my music to MP3.

The only thing I have to do now is to get a laptop. I still use a decktop that I converted in to a rack mount so I can put it in my my DJ coffin. I guess I'm still a little bit behind the time running a decktop. Have fun and play around with different programs and come up with a sysytem the works for you. I know that there are alot of programs out there that everyone uses. Some better then others. Again welcome the the world of digital.
Toneman
Toneman

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Toneman wrote:The only thing I have to do now is to get a laptop. I still use a decktop that I converted in to a rack mount so I can put it in my my DJ coffin. I guess I'm still a little bit behind the time running a decktop.

I'm actually thinking about going the other way, not using a laptop and getting a rack mounted computer. You can install much better equipment and more hard drives and such where the laptop is limited in what you can do. I sometimes do video with DJing, and when running the video source off my laptop, it's sometimes just a little too much for the laptop to handle. If video is playing and I do a song search, I have to type real slow, one letter at a time and wait one or two seconds before typing the next letter, or else the laptop will lock up on me. I've never had that problem with my home computer, and it's actually a slower processor than my laptop.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Toneman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:21 pm

I've have no problems with my rack mount computer, Its just that I want to lighten the weight of the equipment. Im thinking about getting away from the coffin and going with rack mount cases. One for sound (amps, EQs, Etc.), one for lighting (light controller, FX board, Etc.) and have a laptop on the table hooked up to sound.

TheBartman47 wrote:I'm actually thinking about going the other way, not using a laptop and getting a rack mounted computer. You can install much better equipment and more hard drives and such where the laptop is limited in what you can do. I sometimes do video with DJing, and when running the video source off my laptop, it's sometimes just a little too much for the laptop to handle. If video is playing and I do a song search, I have to type real slow, one letter at a time and wait one or two seconds before typing the next letter, or else the laptop will lock up on me. I've never had that problem with my home computer, and it's actually a slower processor than my laptop.

For a laptop all I would need is External hard drives.
Toneman
Toneman

Postby Xtreme Productions » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:39 pm

if you guys want to check out a pretty cool DJ program go to DRS2006.com ... its actually for radio stations but I used it for about 3 years before I went to PCDJ due to DRS2006 not supporting WMA file format... BUT for DJ's with only MP3's it is an awesome piece of software but pretty hard to set up...If anyone tries it I can help set it up...
Xtreme Productions

Postby LYoung116 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:44 am

The Itunes music comes up in Windows Media Player. Still have yet to pick a program to download the MP3s I have on CD to the external hard drive. Any suggestions?
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby DJ Scott » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:19 pm

Audiograbber with the Lame Codec.
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Postby LYoung116 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Thanks, DJScott.
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby TheBartman47 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:39 pm

For the CD ripping to MP3 program, I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with LAME encoder.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby SirWolfy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:33 am

CDex work great for converting to MP3 as well.
Charles E. Snyder III
Certified CPSDJ
River Valley Weddings
Author: So You Wanna Go Digital?

"I Am The ADJA"
SirWolfy

Postby Digital Scott » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:43 pm

I rip in Iturns and napster. I like the CBBD :) I dont like to type.LOL
Digital Scott
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Re: I Switched to MP3s, not CDs

Postby LYoung116 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Well, now I have a backup hard drive!
My only problem is, some of the MP3s stored in OTS DJ won't play now since I added another folder on the old hard drive . ALso, a friend added more MP3s. The MP3 file will load in the playlist, then when Auto DJ kicks in, it skips the song. Also, when I go to load new songs, the volume cuts down for a second (drives me nuts!). Any suggestions on what to do about that?
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Previous

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting