Serato Scratch Live

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Serato Scratch Live

Postby Taylor Mayd » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:14 pm

First Post!

Just picked up Serato Scratch Live. I'm really impressed! GOT TO GET IT. One of the most amazing things i've ever seen.

Anyone have experience with it? Comments?
Taylor Mayd
Fairbanks last vinyl DJ. Sold Out for Serato Scratch, can't be ashaned of it. Just QUADRUPLED my record collection.
Taylor Mayd

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:17 pm

I'm really interested in the MP4 mixer that comes bundled with it... but I've never tried the software -- what do you especially like about it?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Serato Scratch Live

Postby Taylor Mayd » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:27 pm

I haven't messed with the MP4 stuff. Originally I bought it to fill in the holes of my record collection. There's only 1 record store in Alaska, not the greatest selection. So what do I like about it? The accuracy is incredible. I'm running an ACER Ferrari 4000 laptop with a 64-bit processor. The program didn't run as well with the IMAC G4. But it really works JUST LIKE VINYL. It's the next best thing. I still use vinyl for the majority of my music. But for $500, its a small price to pay to have any digital copy of ANY sound, music, movie, sample, voice on vinyl and use it like vinyl, scratching and all. Instant doubles, download and spin with it, talk into the mic and scratch with it immediately, loop it, anything.
Taylor Mayd
Fairbanks last vinyl DJ. Sold Out for Serato Scratch, can't be ashaned of it. Just QUADRUPLED my record collection.
Taylor Mayd

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:49 pm

I have had Rane Serato Scratch Live since it came out and love it. The first edition V1.0 was little buggy for Mac but not PC, as I had a Mac and my buddy had a PC. Now their on 1.4 and it works great, I absolutely love it. This system is perfect if your like me and want to use vinyl and Mp3. I play in a band as well as DJ weddings and such. I use a Apple Powebook G4 100GB laptop with a Denon DN-X 1500 mixer conntected to two Tech's 1200s. I don't need the MP4 as that would be something the CD Dj's might be into. Taylor is right the
accuracy is incredible
as I use the system for scratching in my band and it has such low latency that I can't tell the difference between this and reqular vinyl records, which by the way it can play those too. This is a great sales pitch as I tell clients I can play vinyl, MP3, and CD (you can even play music through your CD player in your laptop). Serato uses itunes so all my songs are easily organized, I even have most of the BPM's with this handy BPM Counter.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby Supernatural » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:10 am

I've also been using Serato Scratch Live for several years. I use SL1, and the MP4. I have used several other dj programs and I like SSL the best. Very reliable!
Supernatural

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:36 am

How do you like the MP4??

I really wish they would have called it something else as its confusing with because there are MP4's for music files too.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:37 am

Almost forgot, can you post some pics of your setup, I would love to see how you have it configured.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Supernatural » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:05 am

What up Sean! I recently did a show with two other Serato DJ's in San Jose. Here are a few pics.

http://chrisflure.brinkster.net/superna ... =33&mnu=10
Supernatural

Postby Supernatural » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:11 am

Dj Sean wrote:How do you like the MP4??

I really wish they would have called it something else as its confusing with because there are MP4's for music files too.

The MP4 is a great tool for many applications. However, no scratchin and limited stunts.
Supernatural

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:18 am

nice pics.
Is this a hip-hop party??

And a cool idea to have two sites, I often feel like I have two personas as well.

Good luck, and nice to meet you.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Supernatural » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:39 am

Yeah, our side def turned into a hip hop show/party and they had two House dj's rockin the ballroom accross the way.

Nice to see you rockin SSL in Nor Cal... Big Up's!!!
Supernatural

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:04 am

One of the greatest features is the ability to instantly play something I've worked on, no more dub plates!!

I even use it for weddings and such, where a pre-recorded message works, come to think of it I once made a announcement with the Apple talk feature.

SO I ended up having this cool robot voice say, "Congratulations to Tim and Sara".

Nice, Supernatural, big up's to you too!! Keep those people dancin!!!
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Supernatural » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:40 am

oooooh... dub plates... ok you are old school vinyl. The MP4 is good for ripping from vinyl as you will get better quality than SL1.

If you are interested, I'll let you know when the next Nor Cal SSL meet is. They are having one in So Cal this weekend hopefully they will get some good video... these cats have MAD SKILLS and will be rockin several different genre’s.
Supernatural

Postby Dj Sean » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:40 pm

Sounds interesting, for sure, let me know!!

I will be there!! 8)
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting